Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting command does not return exit status due to tee Post 302264963 by anand_bh on Friday 5th of December 2008 08:19:25 AM
Old 12-05-2008
Tools command does not return exit status due to tee

Hi,

I am using /bin/sh. I want to display the stdout and stderr on the terminal as well as save it in a file, so I'm using this command.

gmake all 2>&1 | tee log

But even if gmake fails, it's always giving 0 as exit status, i suppose because of tee.

# false 2>&1 | tee Log
# echo $?

I was expecting non-zero value above. Any solution to this problem?

What if I want to use tee as well as get correct exit status?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to find the exit status of last command in Unix?

Hi, I want to find the exit status of the last executed command in C Shell. Tried $? but getting the error Variable syntax...$? does not seem to work in C shell.. is there any other command in C shell to find the exit status of last command? Thanks in advance, raju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajugp1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find the exit status for the last executed command

I am executing a find command in my script i.e find $2 -type f -name '*.gif' -mtime +$1 -exec rm {} \; how do i check that this command is executed properly.. i would lke t trap the errror and display my error message kinly help.. this is an urgent issue. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay.amirthraj
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the exit status of a remote command

Hi to everyone. How can I get the exit status from a remote command executed with rexec? :eek: machine A has RedHat Linux 9 and the remote machine B has SCO UNIX. Code: rexec -l user -p password host sh /u/files/scripts/seq_cal.sh 2006 08 I want the exit status returned by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zoonalex
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Return of EXIT status ( $? )

I have the question: How return the exit code from then assign : VAR=$(command ) for ex. VAR=$(ls ....) VAREXIT=$? echo $VAREXIT VAREXIT is equal to 0 if the directory exist or not exist. WHI?? if i execute the command direct from line-command , the value of $? is different if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move Command and exit status problem

Hi All, I am using the following code to move files from one folder to another on the remote server: ssh username@server <<EOF cd source_dir find . -type f -name "*.txt" |xargs -n1000 -i{} mv {} dest_dir if then send mail indicating error otherwise echo "success" fi EOF ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: visingha
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Equivalents of tee command to find exit status of command

Hi, Want to log the output of command & check the exit status to find whether it succeeded or failed. > ls abc ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 1 > ls abc 2>&1 | tee log ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 0 Tee commands changes my exit status to be always... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exit Status Of Find Command

Hello All, I am trying to capture the exit status of find command and want to delete the files only when it is successful. But it is always returning me as success even if the pattern of that file doesn't exist in the current directory. please help, checked manual page but couldn't able to figure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status of Command

Hi All, I am doing an export and import (datapump) of 4 schema. I know we can do an export of 4 schema in one command. But just want to know how to check the exit status if i do the export/import of 4 schema in different commands in background. Please suggest. Thanks, Mani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear contents of specified directories, then return exit status

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm attempting to write a bash shell script to rm the contents of a directory without deleting the directory, specifically in OS X 10.10 . Here's what I have: function clear() { USER="$USER" DIR=$1 rm -rfv /Users/"$USER"/library/$DIR/* } clear... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: YouNicks
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
tee(1)								   User Commands							    tee(1)

NAME
tee - replicate the standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee [-ai] [file]... ksh93 tee [-ail] [file]... DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee copies standard input to standard output, making a copy in zero or more files. tee does not buffer its output. The options determine if the specified files are overwritten or appended to. ksh93 The tee built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin and /usr/bin paths. It is invoked when tee is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/tee or /usr/bin/tee executable. tee copies standard input to standard output and to zero or more files. The options determine whether the specified files are overwritten or appended to. The tee utility does not buffer output. If a write to a file fails, tee continues to write to other files although it exits with a non-zero exit status. The number of file operands that can be specified is limited by the underlying operating system. OPTIONS
/usr/bin/tee The following options are supported by /usr/bin/tee: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. -i Ignores interrupts. ksh93 The following options are supported by the tee built-in command in ksh93: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. --append -i Ignores SIGINT signal. --ignore-interrupts -l Sets the standard output to be line buffered. --line-buffer OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an output file. Processing of at least 13 file operands are supported. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tee when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tee: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
/usr/bin/tee The following exit values are returned by /usr/bin/tee: 0 The standard input was successfully copied to all output files. >0 The number of files that could not be opened or whose status could not be obtained. ksh93 The following exit values are returned by tee in ksh93: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tee +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
cat(1), ksh93(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 tee(1)