Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Handling "command not found" exception Post 302264818 by ddreggors on Friday 5th of December 2008 01:11:11 AM
Old 12-05-2008
I have seen also admins setting aliases to the correct command:

alias cet="cat"

so when a user types

$ cet ~/somefile

it will actually preform a "cat ~/somefile"

This is quite user specific however and must be changed for each user based on which commands they are more prone to "fat finger".

userA:
alias la="ls"

userB:
alias cet="cat"

userC:
alias cs="cd"

or use the "One to rule them all" Lord of the Rings mentality and place ALL of these aliases into one place "/etc/profile".

Another good approach if you use bash or any shell that can use tab completion really, is to USE tab completion!

so typing

ca<tab>

will list the commands/files that you can use..
EXAMPLE:
$ ce<tab>
certcgi certmgr certtool certutil cervisia

$ cat<tab>
cat catchsegv

Using this method will not only solve 99% of all "fat fingered" commands it can cut down on your typing by 50% or more most of the time.

take for example the command:

# cat /usr/local/bin/dosomestuff.sh

assuming that in the /usr/local/bin folder there is only 1 or 2 files starting with d and nothing starting with do other than our file...

# cat /u<tab>lo<tab>b<tab>do<tab>

reduces the characters you have typed from 33 to 15!

Last edited by ddreggors; 12-05-2008 at 02:24 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why emacs caused "command not found" error

I installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 on my PC. When i typed 'emacs' on the console, "command not found" error occurrd. Why. :mad: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"-bash: sqlldr: command not found"

hi all, here i am trying to run one control file. but getting "-bash: sqlldr: command not found" error :confused: the code is given below. sqlldr $db_username/$db_password@$db_sid control=$loading_path/load_to_table.ctl log=loading.log can anybody help me in fixing the issue? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayakatj56
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to distinguish between "command not found" and "command with no result"

system() call imeplemented in solaris is such a way that: Command not found - return code 1 Command executed successfully without Output - return code 1 how to distinguish between these two based on return code in a c - file? Can you help on this ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iitmadhu
5 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

What's happens with my thread about "-bash: ELF: command not found "?

Hi, Today, I've submitted a new tread in "Shell Programming and Scripting" forum, with title "-bash: ELF: command not found ". However, this thread has disappear. Can somebody give me an explanation? Regards. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sonia_
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Command not found" doing a while loop in bash/shell

i=0 numberofproducts=${#urls} #gets number of entries in array called "urls" numberofproductsminusone=`expr $numberofproducts - 1` #-subtract by one while do wget ${urls} i=$(( $i + 1 )) sleep 10 done I'm getting an error ./scrape: line 22: [0: command not found that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script giving "Command Not found"

Hello Geeks, Greetings...I have the following script: #!/usr/bin/bash #Script to generate number of active PDP context & calculate PDP activation #failurefrom EPG-M #Script written by Gbenga Adigun #September 12, 2013 username="xxxxxx" password="xxxxxxxxx" HOSTS=( ggsn01... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem on SQLplus command ""bash: sqlplus: command not found""

Hi all, i face an error related to my server ""it's running server"" when i use sqlplus command $ sqlplus bash: sqlplus: command not found the data base is up and running i just need to access the sqlplus to import the dump file as a daily backup. i already check the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clerck
4 Replies
LIQUIDSOAP(1)						      General Commands Manual						     LIQUIDSOAP(1)

NAME
liquidsoap - a multimedia streaming language SYNOPSIS
liquidsoap [options] [script|expression] DESCRIPTION
Liquidsoap is a programming language for describing multimedia streaming systems. It is very flexible, making simple things simple but giving a lot of control for advanced uses. Liquidsoap supports audio, video and MIDI streams, and a wide range of input/output operators including Icecast and various soundcard APIs. It can perform a broad range of signal processing, combine streams in various ways, support custom transitions, generate sound procedurally... and all this can be assembled as you wish. Input files can be accessed remotely, or even be synthesized on the fly using external scripts such as speech synthesis. Finally, interaction with a running liquidsoap instance is possible via telnet or socket. Liquidsoap scripts passed on the command line will be evaluated: they shall be used to define the streaming system to be ran. It is possi- ble to pass multiple scripts; they will all be ran successively, and definitions from one script can be used in subsequent ones. A script will be read from standard input if - is given as script filename. Information about scripting liquidsoap is available on our website: http://savonet.sf.net/ If the parameter is not a file it will be treated as an expression which will be executed. It is a convenient way to test simple one-line scripts. When running only one-liners, the default is to log messages directly on stdout rather than to a file. OPTIONS
- Read script from standard input. -- Stop parsing the command-line and pass subsequent items to the script. --debug Print debugging log messages. --dynamic-plugins-dir path Directory where to look for plugins. --errors-as-warnings Issue warnings instead of fatal errors for unused variables and ignored expressions. If you are not sure about it, it is better to not use it. --interactive Start an interactive interpreter. --list-plugins List all plugins (builtin scripting values, supported formats and protocols). --list-plugins-xml List all plugins (builtin scripting values, supported formats and protocols), output as XML. --no-pervasives Do not load pervasive script libraries. --version Display liquidsoap's version. -c, --check Check and evaluate scripts but do not perform any streaming. -cl, --check-lib Like --check but treats all scripts and expressions as libraries, so that unused toplevel variables are not reported. -d, --daemon Run in daemon mode. -f, --force-start For advanced dynamic uses: force liquidsoap to start even when no active source is initially defined. -h plugin Print the description of a plugin, eg. a builtin scripting function. -i Display infered types. -p, --parse-only Parse scripts but do not type-check and run them. -q, --quiet Do not print log messages on standard output. -r filename Process a request. -T, --disable-telnet Disable the telnet server. -U, --disable-unix-socket Disable the unix socket. -t, --enable-telnet Enable the telnet server. -u, --enable-unix-socket Enable the unix socket. -v, --verbose Print log messages on standard output. --conf-descr-key key Describe a configuration key. --conf-descr Show all configuration keys with their documentation. --conf-descr-liqi Show all configuration keys with their documentation in liqi (documentation wiki) format. --conf-dump Dump the configuration state -help, --help Display this list of options SEE ALSO
Our website http://savonet.sf.net/ and the HTML documentation coming with your distribution of liquidsoap. AUTHOR
Savonet team <savonet-users@lists.sourceforge.net> Liquidsoap 1.0.1 June 25, 2012 LIQUIDSOAP(1)