Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Swapping or switching 2 lines using sed Post 302263525 by null7 on Monday 1st of December 2008 08:46:14 PM
Old 12-01-2008
Hi I already refer to doc but still blur especially on regexp. Appreciate if u can explain further.

Code:
local @ARGV = ($File); # puts $File into the array @ARGV
local $^I = $Bak_ext;  # (Backup input file, output with original filename)
local $/ = undef;      # read entire file at once

For backup file i think is much easier to understand. but one question is it necessary for us to have this line local $/ = undef;. What will happen if i remove it?

Code:
                          s/   # s/ = substitute operator

\A(.*?\n)  # \A = match at only beginning of string
                                # () = grouping
                                # .  = allow single char to match
                                # *? = match 0 or more time
                                # \n = newline
((?:\S+\s+){3}$Pattern\b.*?\n)  # () = grouping
                                # ?: Non-capturing groupings
                                # \S+  Match a non-whitespace character  1 or more times
                                # \s+  Match a whitespace character 1 or more times
                                # {3}= Match exactly 3 times
                                # \b = Match a word boundary
                                # .  = allow single char to match
                                # \n = newline
                       (.*?\n)  # .  = allow single char to match
                                # \n = newline

/$1$3$2/xos;   #substitute with $1$3$2. XOS?

print     #print balance line?

For code above, is it correct it do search n replace?(s/regexp/replacement/modifiers). Actually I still blur with the above regexp. Correct me if i'm wrong, is it the regexp match 3 times for the pattern? Smilie. I got confused what exactly it do.
For replacement line, is it $1$3$2 refer to line of the file? i tried to print out $1 to see the content but nothing happened.
I already google for XOS but no explaination about it. Hope someone can help.

Sorry to many question. Smilie

Rgrds.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines beginning with certain words using sed/awk

I have a large file which reads like this: fixed-address 192.168.6.6 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b1; host X; } fixed-address 192.168.6.7 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b3; host Y; } fixed-address 192.168.6.8 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b4; host A; }... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

swapping lines that match a condition using sed, perl or the like

I'm a bit new to regex and sed/perl stuff, so I would like to ask for some advice. I have tried several variations of scripts I've found on the net, but can't seem to get them to work out just right. I have a file with the following information... # Host 1 host 45583 { filename... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBigAmbulance
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: switching lines and concatenating lines?

Hello, I have only recently begun with awk and need to write this: I have an input consisting of a couple of letters, a space and a number followed by various other characters: fiRcQ 9( ) klsRo 9( ) pause fiRcQ 9( ) pause klsRo continue 1 aPLnJ 62( ) fiRcQ continue 5 ... and so on I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Borghal
7 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Swapping Fields with Sed

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The assignment is to convert a text table to csv format. I've got the cleaning up done, but I need to swap two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: VoiceInADesert
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping three lines

I have some text: <date>some_date</date> <text>some_text</text> <name>some_name<name> and I want to transform it to smthng like that: some_name on some_date: some_text I've tried sed: sed 's/<text>\(.*\)<\/text> <name>\(.*\)<\/name>/\2 - \1/' but it says unterminated... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsjkvf
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching lines

Hi I'm quite new with linux. Very simple, I need to swap every 2 lines in a file. Example INPUT: a a a b b b x x x y y y s s s t t t OUTPUT: b b b a a a y y y x x x t t t (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK swapping fields on different lines

Hi All, Sorry if this question has been posted elsewhere, but I'm hoping someone can help me! Bit of an AWK newbie here, but I'm learning (slowly!) I'm trying to cobble a script together that will save me time (is there any other kind?), to swap two fields (one containing whitespace), with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bravestarr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping the 1st 4 lines only

How can you swap the first 4 line only, the rest will stay the same. thanks #!/bin/sh line=4 awk -v var="$line" 'NR==var { s=$0 getline;s=$0"\n"s getline;print;print s next }1' fileko.tx . desired output: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines

Hi there, I have a text that I'm trying to format into something more readable. However, I'm stuck in the last step. I've searched and tried things over the internet with no avail. OS: Mac After parsing the original text that I won't put here, I managed to get something like this, but this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
8 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD