Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) OS X Support RSS Optical drive is no longer visible after installing iTunes for Windows Post 302263521 by Linux Bot on Monday 1st of December 2008 08:20:08 PM
Old 12-01-2008
Optical drive is no longer visible after installing iTunes for Windows

If you are running Windows Vista, you may experience some of the following symptoms after installing iTunes for Windows: Your computer's optical drive may no longer be recognized The optical drive may not appear in My Computer, but may appear in Device Manager with a yellow "!" (exclamation mark) beside the optical drive The following dialog may appear when attempting to use the optical drive "This device cannot start: code 10, device type DVD/CD ROM Drive"

More from Apple OS X Support ...

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Magneto-Optical drive for SCO Openserver 5.0.5

Hi, I tried to install Magneto-Optical (MO) drive Fujutsu to COMPAQ Proliant ML350 with SCO Openserver 5.0.5. Harddisk and MO are connected to Adaptec UW-SCSI-3 (driver ad160). During boot process system shows me that MO is connected to host adapter 1, bus 0, SCSI ID 1 and LUN 0. But when I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yurist
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to set up an optical drive

Trying to get my unix system to recognize an optical drive, it was delivered to us, so we assumed it worked, in the 2 years since no one ever has used it, we want to now. However, even running probe-scsi-all doesn't bring up that drive. It's a scsi address of 3, at the end of the chain, all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Installing Windows 7 on a GPT drive

Hello, My hard drive was formatted with GPT. It is part of a volume group and has two logical volumes on it. Is it possible to convert the drive to MBR? If so, how would I got about doing it? I know there are programs out there that do it, but I have volume groups with LVM's so I am wondering if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

4. Hardware

Dell XPS M1330 doesn't detect optical drive

I have a Dell XPS M1330 laptop. The OS is Windows 10. I had to replace the motherboard because it was bad. After replacing the motherboard I noticed the optical (DVD/CD) drive is neither detected in BIOS and OS nor making any noise at all. Everything else seems to be working fine. The optical drive... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
3 Replies
diskseekd(1)						      General Commands Manual						      diskseekd(1)

Name
       diskseek, diskseekd - disk seek daemon; simulates Messy Dos' drive cleaning effect

Note
       This  manpage has been automatically generated from fdutils's texinfo documentation.  However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as cross-references, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate  rep-
       resentation  in	the  manpage  format.  Moreover, only the items specific to each command have been translated, and the general information
       about fdutils has been dropped in the manpage version.  Thus I strongly advise you to use the original texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips fdutils.dvi

*      To generate a HTML copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A pre-made HTML can be found at: `http://www.tux.org/pub/knaff/fdutils'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as HTML.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

Description
       Several	people	have  noticed that Linux has a bad tendency of killing floppy drives. These failures remained completely mysterious, until
       somebody noticed that they were due to huge layers of dust accumulating in the floppy drives. This cannot happen under Messy  Dos,  because
       this  excuse  for  an  operating system is so unstable that it crashes roughly every 20 minutes (actually less if you are running Windows).
       When rebooting, the BIOS seeks the drive, and by doing this, it shakes the dust out of the drive mechanism. diskseekd simulates this effect
       by seeking the drive periodically.  If it is called as diskseek, the drive is sought only once.

Options
       The syntax for diskseekd is as follows:

diskseekd [-d drive] [-i interval] [-p pidfile]

-d drive
	      Selects the drive to seek.  By default, drive 0 (`/dev/fd0') is sought.

-i interval
	      Selects the cleaning interval, in seconds.  If the interval is 0, a single seek is done. This is useful when calling diskseek from a
	      crontab.	The default is 1000 seconds (about 16 minutes) for diskseekd and 0 for diskseek.

-p pidfile
	      Stores the process id of the diskseekd daemon into pidfile instead of the default `/var/run/diskseekd.pid'.

Bugs
       1.     Other aspects of Messy Dos' flakiness are not simulated.

2.     This section lacks a few smileys.

See Also
       Fdutils' texinfo doc

fdutils-5.5							      03Mar05							      diskseekd(1)