Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting processing file names using text files Post 302263495 by ligander on Monday 1st of December 2008 05:32:55 PM
Old 12-01-2008
that should work fine..Thanks. Can you explain to me what the substr (d,1,4) and substr (d,5,2) do? I understand they are placing a substring of d into the name but can't figure out the number designation. Thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processing a text file

A file contains one name per line, such as: john doe jack bruce nancy smith sam riley When I 'cat' the file, the white space is treated as a new line. For example list=`(cat /path/to/file.txt)` for items in $list do echo $items done I get: john doe (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processing extended ascii character file names in UNIX (BASH scipts)

Hi, I have a accentuated letter (ö) in a script for an Installer. It's a file name. This is not working and I'm told to try using the octal value for the extended ascii character. Does anyone no how to do this? If I had the word "filförval", can I just put in the value between the letters, like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peli
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting information from Config files /text processing

Hello All, This is my first post on this forums, which I consider one of the best of its kind. The reason for my post is that I want to export some information form Nagios configuration files to a DB. I know that there are other tools available to do this, like NDO, monarch, etc... But I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oconmx
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching names in 2 text files

I have 2 text files like ________________________________ Company Name:yada yada ADDRESS:some where, CITY,STATE CONTACT PEOPLE:first_name1.last_name1,first_name2.last_name2,first_name3.last_name3 LEAD:first_name.last_name ________________________________ & Data file2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rider29
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove common file names from text files

I'm running on freebsd -- with a default shell of csh. I have two files named A and B. Each line of each file contains a file name. How can I write a script that removes all the file names in file B from A. I tried to use perl to create a huge regular expression with "|" separating the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing files with same text but different file names

Hi All, I have some 50,000 HTML files in a directory. The problem is; some HTML files are duplicate versions that is wget crawled them two times and gave them file names by appending 1, 2, 3 etc after each crawl. For example, if the file index.html has been crawled several times, it has been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text processing of file

I have a text file which is a dataset. and I need to convert it into a CSV format The file is as follows : First line : -1 3:1 11:1 14:1 19:1 39:1 42:1 55:1 64:1 67:1 73:1 75:1 76:1 80:1 83:1 Second line " +1 5:1 11:1 15:1 32:1 39:1 40:1 52:1 63:1 67:1 73:1 74:1 76:1 78:1 83:1 There are a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find empty files in a directory and write their file names in a text?

I need to find empty files in a directory and write them into a text file. Directory will contain old files as well, i need to get the empty files for the last one hour only. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

9. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSuUser(Contributed Perl DocPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr - Use 4-argument "substr" instead of writing "substr($foo, 2, 6) = $bar". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Conway discourages the use of "substr()" as an lvalue, instead recommending that the 4-argument version of "substr()" be used instead. substr($something, 1, 2) = $newvalue; # not ok substr($something, 1, 2, $newvalue); # ok The four-argument form of "substr()" was introduced in Perl 5.005. This policy does not report violations on code which explicitly specifies an earlier version of Perl (e.g. "use 5.004;"). CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
"substr" in perlfunc (or "perldoc -f substr"). "4th argument to substr" in perl5005delta AUTHOR
Graham TerMarsch <graham@howlingfrog.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Graham TerMarsch. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3pm)