Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Device Files names and location Post 302263489 by Carl1976 on Monday 1st of December 2008 05:08:47 PM
Old 12-01-2008
Device Files names and location

HI there. I am studying System administration right now and am stuck on a question that I have failed to find the answer for in my book.

The question is: Do device files need to be in the /dev directory and to they need to follow a naming convention?

My answer (so far) is that since the kernel commnicated with device files, it needs to know where they are located, so I would imagine that yes they do need to be in the /dev directory. And as a rule of thumb there are conventions that need to be followed as "best practices" such as fd, lp etc, but I could make the name whatever I wanted.

I have tried to solve this myself by:
Reading the section in the book again (and again)
Searching other forums and resource sites
played around on my system to test it myself
i.e.
1. cd /home/temp
2. sudo mknod mydev c 136 2
3. echo "testing" > /home/temp/mydev
--> Nothing happens here which would seem to re-enforce my answer that device files do need to be in the /dev dir but ca nstill be named whatever I want

So, this is where I am confused. I have attempted to solve this myself, and don't simply want the answer and that's it, but some help, clarification, point in the right direction etc.

I'm just spinning my wheels so any support would be appreciated. I have emailled my prof as well, and am just waiting as well, so thought I would post the same thing here!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

device location codes

what is meant by device location codes? what is their format and how can i identify the location of a device in redhat linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: docaia
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy files from one location to similar location

I need help in forming a script to copy files from one location which has a sub directory structure to another location with similar sub directory structure, say location 1, /home/rick/tmp_files/1-12/00-25/ here 1-12 are the number of sub directories under tmp_files and 00-25 are sub... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharos467
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer files from one location to another location

Hi, i have to transfer of files of User1 located in Location1 to user2 located in Location2 using shell script. Please suggest me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Copy files from one location to another location

Create a script that copies files from one specified directory to another specified directory, in the order they were created in the original directory between specified times. Copy the files at a specified interval. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allways4u21
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Moving files from one location to another location

Hi, I am new to unix and shell scripting. Please help me in resolving the below issue. In my shell script I have a variable which stores the different files with the path. Now I need to move all the files one by one to another location. ---- 1.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpagadala
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a existing file location and directory location in Solaris box?

Hi This is my third past and very impressed with previous post replies Hoping the same for below query How to find a existing file location and directory location in solaris box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buzzme
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with copying the list of files from one location to other location

A) I would like to achive following actions using shell script. can someone help me with writing the shell script 1) Go to some dir ( say /xyz/logs ) and then perform find operation in this dir and list of subdir using find . -name "*" -print | xargs grep -li 1367A49001CP0162 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GG2
1 Replies

8. Linux

Get all the files from a FTP location with previous week's dates in the file names using Linux

I have a weird requirement where I have to get the files from a FTP(Lets say FTP1) location and place it on my current FTP(Lets say FTP2) location. The issue is, these are daily files (in a pattern Sales_YYYYMMDD_report.csv) and are placed every day on FTP1 and my process usually runs on Monday(eg.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
2 Replies

9. Android

Device Names on Android

Hi, I have a program that logs serial port data. In order to do so it requires the full device name in linux (e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0) and a baudrate. Does anyone know how I can find out the device name in the terminal? I am trying to port this application to Android and cant figure it out. ... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora18
22 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies
7(16 December 2012)													       7(16 December 2012)

NAME
dsp - Open Sound System audio devices DESCRIPTION
/dev/dsp is the default audio device in the system. It's connected to the main speakers and the primary recording source (such as micro- phone). The system administrator can set /dev/dsp to be a symbolic link to the desired default device. The ossinfo utility can be used to list the available audio devices in the system. /dev/dsp_mmap, /dev/dsp_ac3, /dev/dsp_multich and /dev/dsp_spdifout are default audio devices for specific applications such as games or media (DVD) players. DIRECT ACCESS AUDIO DEVICE FILES
OSS 4.0 (and later) will create audio devices under /dev/oss/<device> directory. For example /dev/oss/sblive0/pcm0 is the first audio device that belongs to the first Sound Blaster Live! or Audigy card in the system. These direct devices are used when an application needs to access specific audio device (instead of the default one). You can use the ossinfo(1) utility with the -a option to get a list of the available audio devices in the system. LEGACY AUDIO DEVICE FILES
Traditionally OSS has created device files like /dev/dsp0 to /dev/dspN for each audio device in the system. OSS 4.0 still supports this legacy naming. These files are symbolic links to the actual device files located under /dev/oss. The ossdevlinks(8) utility is used to manage these links and it will be automatically invoked when OSS is started. COMPATIBILITY
o The /dev/dsp (default() audio device file will be supported by all OSS implementations and versions. o The special purpose audio default devices (such as /dev/dsp_mmap) are only supported by OSS 4.0 and later. o The legacy audio device files (such as /dev/dsp1) are supported by all OSS versions and implementations. o New style audio device files (under /dev/oss) are only supported by OSS 4.0 and later. However some independent OSS implementations may only support the legacy naming even they are otherwise OSS 4.0 compatible. o /dev/dsp0 doesn't exist in all Linux systems which use /dev/dsp for the same purpose. In such systems /dev/dsp points to the first audio device and /dev/dsp1 to the second. PROGRAMMING INFORMATION
See the Audio Programming section of the OSS Programmer's Guide (DSP(2)) for more info. OPTIONS
None FILES
o /dev/dsp Default audio device o /dev/dsp_mmap Default audio device for applications using mmap(2) o /dev/dsp_ac3 Default audio device for applications sending Dolby Digital (AC3) audio to an external receiver. o /dev/dsp_multich Default multichannel (4.0-7.1) audio output device o /dev/dsp_spdifout Default digital audio (S/PDIF) output device o /dev/oss/<driver>/pcmN Direct access device files for individual audio devices. o /dev/dsp0 to /dev/dspN Legacy style direct access audio device files. AUTHOR
4Front Technologies OSS Devices 7(16 December 2012)