Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Difference between tty and console devices ? Post 302263396 by nj78 on Monday 1st of December 2008 01:17:26 PM
Old 12-01-2008
Console in theory is the terminal at the system. The tty's are the other remote terminals in theory. This is just how I think of it.

Page 66 in "The UNIX Programming Environment" has a nice explaination on /dev, it's short but works.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to programm TTY devices under UNIX platform?

Dear Export, I want to begin an serial-communication application codes associated with TTY devices. But I don't know what key settings should be concerned after opening a TTY device file under UNIX plarform(SunOS 5.7)? Could you give me some adivce? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: WayneYang
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to cisco devices via console

I use configure cisco devices daily using hyper terminal in windows via the serial port. Is there an alternative solution in unix that I can connect to a cisco console port via serial port? What application do I need?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgroove3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Send console message to all users and tty

Hi people, i tried to search in the forum... but didnt found the answer... Sometimes i need to send a console message to all users in all tty, like reboot or shutdown does... But i cant find how to do that. Someone know? Thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfca
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and ttys

Sometimes when I open up the terminal (like just now) it says Last login: Wed Jun 17 07:29:25 on console sometimes it says ttys (like when I exit and open a new window/tab). What's the difference? and is something fishy going on? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Command to redirect console to my tty?

Is there a utility built into Solaris that will allow me to see console messages from a tty? I've done a search and see that this is possible through software like ILOM, but I'm looking for a method to do this with built in utilities. For example, on AIX, I can use swcons `tty` (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makodarear
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are pseudo-tty devices? Is my /etc/securetty file contains any?

Hi , I have searched wiki for pseudo tty devices but it was very complex for me to understand. Can any one help me understanding concept behind pseudo-tty in layman language? According to security manual of our org /etc/securetty files shouldn't have any pseudo tty devices. i understand ttyX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and Terminal.

I see these terms used all the time with hardly any distinction between the two. Any clarification would be appreciated!:) I could only get emacs to open in console so I was also wondering what are the common applications to use in console.:wall: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between system console and ILOM .

HI Guru's Can any one explain me the difference between a system console and a ILOM (SC). Thanks in Advance. RK :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between /dev and devices

Please explain me the difference between /dev and devices.. Googled info is - /dev - where logical device names stores here devices - physical device info stores here... Could any one explain me.. the real difference and major one (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijaySolaris
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
TTY(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    TTY(4)

NAME
tty - controlling terminal DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/tty is a character file with major number 5 and minor number 0, usually of mode 0666 and owner.group root.tty. It is a syn- onym for the controlling terminal of a process, if any. In addition to the ioctl(2) requests supported by the device that tty refers to, the ioctl(2) request TIOCNOTTY is supported. TIOCNOTTY Detach the calling process from its controlling terminal. If the process is the session leader, then SIGHUP and SIGCONT signals are sent to the foreground process group and all processes in the current session lose their controlling tty. This ioctl(2) call only works on file descriptors connected to /dev/tty. It is used by daemon processes when they are invoked by a user at a terminal. The process attempts to open /dev/tty. If the open succeeds, it detaches itself from the terminal by using TIOCNOTTY, while if the open fails, it is obviously not attached to a terminal and does not need to detach itself. FILES
/dev/tty SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), ioctl(2), termios(3), console(4), tty_ioctl(4), ttyS(4), agetty(8), mingetty(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2003-04-07 TTY(4)