Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Numeric or not
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Numeric or not Post 302263130 by vino on Sunday 30th of November 2008 10:54:19 PM
Old 11-30-2008
Duplicate because the previous post was in the moderation queue. See https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...meric-not.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

non-numeric argument

quick question, I am trying to run this simple equation expr 2048 / 2.354 but get a "expr: non-numeric argument" error when ever its run. I believe it may be caused by the decimal point but I do not know how to remedy it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiredOrangeCat
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking numeric value

Hi, How can I check numeric value in shell? I am passing one parameter (integer) and I want to restrict any other characters except 0-9. ./script xyz 10 Here 2nd parameter (10) should be integer only. Can anyone help on this? Malay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input

Hi All, Is there any code in Perl which can differentiate between numeric and non-numeric input? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric Validation

Hi, How to check whether an input to a shell script contain only numeric values. Is there any way to check against the following characters. & ( ) | \ " ' < > ` I've used the following way. echo $1 | grep "\{2\}$" if then (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric or not?

Is there an easy way using a command or other routine for testing whether an argument on the command line is numeric? Just want to validate... I ran a search and didn't find a similar question.... Thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harrisjl
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

First argument is numeric or not

Hi everyone, I want my script to check if the first argument has only numbers or not. Im not sure what im doing wrong. This is how it looks like: if *") ] then echo 'The first arguement should only be in numeric' 1>&2 exit 1 else exit 0 fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkhider
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace random numeric value with non-numeric value

Can someone tell me how to change the first column in a very large 17k line file from a random 10 digit numeric value to a non numeric value. The format of lines in the file is: 1702938475,SNU022,201004 the first 10 numbers always begin with 170 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bahf1s
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a Numeric Value?

Using shell, I have a variable, how can I check that variable for a numeric value such as "41.0"? My program needs to do one things if the numeric value is found, and another if something else such as a string of letter is found. is there a specific character that denotes a numeral? The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with numeric manupulations

I want to calculate the following expression in script: val=179584.0 ($val *3*16384)/(1073741824) $val will have a floating value. Thanks! I tried with following: n=$(echo |awk '{ print $val*3*16384 }') n=$(echo |awk '{ v=$val; print $v*3*16384 }') expr $val \* 3.0 \*... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
10 Replies

10. HP-UX

Getting numeric timezone on HP-UX

Hi I thought the UNIX command date is universal and so I have been using date +%z to get the numberic timezone offset (e.g. -0500) however on HP-UX, this is not returning expected results; on my machine it returns the name of the time zone (e.g. EST) not numbers. does anyone know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagman5
2 Replies
jrunscript(1)						      General Commands Manual						     jrunscript(1)

NAME
jrunscript - command line script shell SYNOPSIS
jrunscript [ options ] [ arguments... ] PARAMETERS
options Options, if used, should follow immediately after the command name. arguments Arguments, if used, should follow immediately after options or command name. DESCRIPTION
jrunscript is a command line script shell. jrunscript supports both an interactive (read-eval-print) mode and a batch (-f option) mode of script execution. This is a scripting language independent shell. By default, JavaScript is the language used, but the -l option can be used to specify a different language. Through Java to scripting language communication, jrunscript supports "exploratory programming" style. NOTE: This tool is experimental and may not be available in future versions of the JDK. OPTIONS
-classpath path Specify where to find the user's .class files that are accessed by the script. -cp path This is a synonym for -classpath path -Dname=value Set a Java system property. -Jflag Pass flag directly to the Java virtual machine on which jrunscript is run. -l language Use the specified scripting language. By default, JavaScript is used. Note that to use other scripting languages, you also need to spec- ify the corresponding script engine's jar file using -cp or -classpath option. -e script Evaluate the given script. This option can be used to run "one liner" scripts specified completely on the command line. -encoding encoding Specify the character encoding used while reading script files. -f script-file Evaluate the given script file (batch mode). -f - Read and evaluate a script from standard input (interactive mode). -help Output help message and exit. -? Output help message and exit. -q List all script engines available and exit. ARGUMENTS
If [arguments...] are present and if no -e or -f option is used, then the first argument is the script file and the rest of the arguments, if any, are passed as script arguments. If [arguments..] and -e or -f option are used, then all [arguments..] are passed as script argu- ments. If [arguments..], -e and -f are missing, interactive mode is used. Script arguments are available to a script in an engine variable named "arguments" of type String array. EXAMPLES
Executing inline scripts jrunscript -e "print('hello world')" jrunscript -e "cat('http://java.sun.com')" Use specified language and evaluate given script file jrunscript -l js -f test.js Interactive mode jrunscript js>print('hello world'); hello world js>34 + 55 89 js> thread(function() { print('hello world'); } hello world js> Run script file with script arguments jrunscript test.js arg1 arg2 arg3 test.js is script file to execute and arg1, arg2 and arg3 are passed to script as script arguments. Script can access these using "argu- ments" array. SEE ALSO
If JavaScript is used, then before evaluating any user defined script, jrunscript initializes certain built-in functions and objects. These JavaScript built-ins are documented in jsdocs. 06 Aug 2006 jrunscript(1)