Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity How to reset root password of old Unix System V Post 302262924 by 82026 on Saturday 29th of November 2008 02:55:08 PM
Old 11-29-2008
How to reset root password of old Unix System V

Hi all,

This is first time I met unix in my life. I purchased old Scanning Elecron Microscope which came with 486/33MHz PC running Unix System V, ver. 3.6. The one simple user name/passw is known so I can boot and login. But can not shutdown! It asks root or su passw. I'm very sensitive not to destroy any configuration. As advised on this foum I found /etc/passwd file but inside is only 'x' in places of passwords - means they are in shadow file. I found it however I was not allowed even to look in to it.
My idea is such - to boot from floppy, take this shadow file and then try to use JtR cracker. Or take out HDD, put on another Unix machine and copy or look in to shadow file then.
Can somebody advise - would it work to go this way?
- would all configuration and startup information survive if I would access HDD booted not from it?
- can somebody recomend where to download light bootable floppy version of suitable for me Unix?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Not able to reset mysql root password

Hi, My root password for mysql has some problem as it dosent allow me to login.... all commands to reset it failed. so I removed mysql yum remove mysql and installed it by yum install mysql mysql-devel mysql-server and it installed fine I gave chkconfig --levels 235 mysqld on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: viji19812001
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to reset the ldap root password?

How to change the ldap root password. I have generated the password by using "slappasswd " command, but In my root machine "/etc/ldap/sldap.d" file is not there. instead of the file sldap.d directory only is there. please help me...? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Fedora reset root password

I need some help with Fedora. I am trying to reset the root password. When I tried to login I was not able to. I kept getting the authentication failure message. I got the password reset success message. passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully. I then thought maybe the root... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Reset AIX root password without shutting down the system

Hi All, I'm stuck in a severe problem here , Someone have changed the root password and he cannot remember it and there is no other user privileged user on the system , But I do have access to a non privileged user. On the top of the system an application which requires a theoretical ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
5 Replies

5. Solaris

solaris 8 reset root password from OSX

Hello, I have two old Solaris machines $ uname -a SunOS unknown 5.8 Generic_117350-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-e2 unfortunately, it has been so long ago that i have used these that the root password has left my head... i can log into one of the machine as a normal user, but am unable to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Norman Khine
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to reset forgotten mysql root password?

Hi All, I just found one thread on this forum on this subject here: Forgot MYSQL password root | Unix Linux Forums | Web Development but unfortunately the issue was not resolved. I have the same problem with the same error message. The background is that I built a Solaris 11 x86 server... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NCR UNIX system v/386 release 4 recover root password

we have NCR 3455 system from long time as attached all information for server (images) , so we need your help to assist us to get root password which lost it , really we appreciate your efforts if you can send us the procedure for resting the administrator (root) password which this server... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: univoip
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux root Password Reset

Hi , I ve a question about the Linux system root password change. Which can be done using grub menu without inputting the old password.:confused: So If anybody can change the root password without any password and then how it is secure. Anybody can manipulate the other user using the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
6 Replies
pwconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the correspond- ing entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.11 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)