Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Appending variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending variables Post 302262501 by Christoph Spohr on Thursday 27th of November 2008 03:21:06 PM
Old 11-27-2008
It works but is really ugly. This one is much simpler.

Code:
mp4="" && for i in ${!sub*}; do mp4="-add ${!i} $mp4"; done

It uses a technique called indirection. That's the ! in the ${!..}s.

If you are interested in arrays, you must post a complete example
of what you have and what you want.

For a detailed explanation take a look at the Advanced Bash
Shell Scripting Guide under:

The Linux Documentation Project: Guides

HTH Chris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending

i've been fiddling around with append and I know how to append a word into a file, but how would you go about appending a word to a filename? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: codewarrior7
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending

hi, a1.txt ------ xyz zxc xya xdf a2.txt ------ a1 a2 b1 b2 cat a1.txt >> a2.txt -->its appending at the end (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
6 Replies

3. Programming

How to convert byteArray variables to HexaString variables for Linux?

Hello everybody, I am having problem in converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Linux. I have done, converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Windows but same function doesn't work for linux. Is there any difference in OS ? The code for Windows is given... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritesh_163
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with appending strings using sed and variables

HI, Can't seem to find anything on the forums to fix this. I have a file, one line within this will not have a specific string at the end. I have the string, but need to append it to the specific line which has it missing. I need to use a variable for this, $string - I am using double... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandriver
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and appending

I have two files FILEA a/b/c/d e/f/g/h i/j/k/l m/n/o/p FILEB i/j/k/l i want that if lines of FILEB matches lines of FILEA then matching lines in FILEA to be appended by word "MATCH" NEW FILEA a/b/c/d e/f/g/h i/j/k/l "MATCH" m/n/o/p I have tried following script .but not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaan4uster
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on appending line..

Hi Friends , I got struck in below scenario. Require help to get the desired output. I was going to other blog "Need help on appending all the lines in a file after a pattern is found." but was not able to make with respect to my requirement. Output Getting : -- Storage Group Name: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivek Iyer
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass variables into anothother variables?

Below are three variables, which I want to pass into variable RESULT1 username1=userid poihostname1=dellsys.com port1=8080 How can I pass these variables into below code... RESULT1=$((ssh -n username1@poihostname1 time /usr/sfw/bin/wget --user=sam --password=123 -O /dev/null -q... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manohar2013
4 Replies