Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing queue in rs6000
Operating Systems AIX Printing queue in rs6000 Post 302261873 by nervous on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 12:14:27 AM
Old 11-26-2008
Printing queue in rs6000

Hi,

I'm at following old machine:
Code:
@rs6000:/:> uname -a
AIX rs6000 2 4 007016224C00

We are facing some problems with print queues, whenever a print queue gets stuck we cannot cancel it, we don't have any other option except restarting the machine, we have following queues:
Code:
@rs6000:/etc:> lpstat
Queue   Dev   Status    Job Files              User         PP %   Blks  Cp Rnk
------- ----- --------- --- ------------------ ---------- ---- -- ----- --- ---
qlp8    lp8   READY
qlp7    dummy UNKNOWN
mainpri lp0   READY
qlp1    lp1   READY
qlp2    lp2   READY
qlp3    lp3   READY
qlp4    lp4   READY
qlp5    hp@le READY
qw6     @qw7  READY

Suppose qlp3 goes to WAIT or BUSY state, we cannot cancel it using cancel qlp3 command.

Sometimes errpt displays Asynchronous Adapter failed message, in that case we must restart machine as well, is there any way to solve these problems without restarting the machine?

One last question, we have to explicitly run command every time system restarts:
Code:
startsrc -s qdaemon

I was looking for /etc/rc.d directory where I can create some startup script file and run this command automatically but I don't find any rc.d directory, how can I put above command in my system's startup?

Your help would be highly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Good IDE for C++ on RS6000/AIX

I am looking for the above Can anyone point me to a reliable product, with available support in the forseeable future ? Seeker (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seeker
0 Replies

2. AIX

RS6000 SSA Raid question

Hi Can I add disks on the fly to extend the capacity of an existing RAID 5 volume? It's created on a 4P Advanced SSA Raid Adapter. I need to extend a volume group, so I figured it would be easiest to extend the "physical disk" which is a RAID5 volume. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osee
1 Replies

3. AIX

Printing multiple copies via remote queue

Hi all, I have an interesting problem. Using remote queues to print using jetdirect printers I am unable to get a printer to print multiple copies of a print job. command being used: lpr -P -#3 ./test (one copy prints) Also tried: enq -P -C3 ./test (same results) Any ideas? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luck
6 Replies

4. AIX

Re-Installation of AIX 5.2 in RS6000 7026

Hi There!! I need to reinstall the operating system AIX 5.2 in a RS6000 7026/6H1 that has AIX 4.3 but I need a firmware upgrade that I dón´t know where can I obtain. - Platform firmware version 3 or later. Someone can help me please, I will be very grateful !! Thank´s. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terron79
1 Replies

5. AIX

New to AIX and got my hands on a RS6000 v.need help getting it on the network

So im fairly new to AIX and my knowledge is very, very limited but i got my hands on an RS6000 43P model and im trying to get it on the network so i can access it from work. I have pretty much tried everything i can/know how to do by reading up as much as i can but im still lost. I have the 43P... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IIIII
2 Replies

6. AIX

VNC or X Emulator on RS6000 AIX 5.2

Hello everyone, I have just joined your forum even though I have been using it on and off for couple of months now. Up until now I have been able to find any information I needed by just browsing this site or performing a Google search, but now I'm stuck!. I was hoping you could help me with... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: juniorG
16 Replies

7. AIX

Reinstalling AIX 4.3 on IBM RS6000

Hey guys, I'm a newbie in Unix world.. Currently in my office lies an old IBM RS6000 which hasn't been maintained for a very long time. The former admin has resigned and we don't have any documentation or whatsoever regarding the old machine. All I know that it is an RS6000 is because of what's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch4ng3l
4 Replies

8. AIX

Remote printing to Linux CUPS queue

Hello all. I am setting up a queue under AIX 4.2.1 to print to a remote Linux CUPS queue. At present I can print to the queue remotely from Windows but not AIX. What I am seeing is lpstat reads the state of the remote queue but at job submission time I am getting backend exit fatal errors. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgx
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sco Unix printing : jobs hangs in queue - printing via lp versus hpnpf

Hi, We have a Unix 3.2v5.0.5. I installed a printer via scoadmin, HP network printer manager with network peripheral name (hostname and ipadres are in /etc/hosts). This is the configuration file : Code: root@sco1 # cat configurationBanner: on:AlwaysContent types: simpleDevice:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
0 Replies

10. AIX

AIX 5.1 and RS6000

I've an old server 1996 RS6000 (Processor 604e) running AIX 5.1. It started up fine, booted up and connected on 10Mbit with my router. I used to be able to connect to it with telnet but not anymore. I know the IP is right but working with the smit tcpip options, looks like I've changed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devyn
1 Replies
SD_NOTIFY(3)                                                         sd_notify                                                        SD_NOTIFY(3)

NAME
sd_notify, sd_notifyf - Notify init system about start-up completion and other daemon status changes SYNOPSIS
#include <systemd/sd-daemon.h> int sd_notify(int unset_environment, const char *state); int sd_notifyf(int unset_environment, const char *format, ...); DESCRIPTION
sd_notify() shall be called by a daemon to notify the init system about status changes. It can be used to send arbitrary information, encoded in an environment-block-like string. Most importantly it can be used for start-up completion notification. If the unset_environment parameter is non-zero sd_notify() will unset the $NOTIFY_SOCKET environment variable before returning (regardless whether the function call itself succeeded or not). Further calls to sd_notify() will then fail, but the variable is no longer inherited by child processes. The state parameter should contain an newline-separated list of variable assignments, similar in style to an environment block. A trailing newline is implied if none is specified. The string may contain any kind of variable assignments, but the following shall be considered well-known: READY=1 Tells the init system that daemon startup is finished. This is only used by systemd if the service definition file has Type=notify set. The passed argument is a boolean "1" or "0". Since there is little value in signalling non-readiness, the only value daemons should send is "READY=1". STATUS=... Passes a single-line status string back to the init system that describes the daemon state. This is free-form and can be used for various purposes: general state feedback, fsck-like programs could pass completion percentages and failing programs could pass a human readable error message. Example: "STATUS=Completed 66% of file system check..." ERRNO=... If a daemon fails, the errno-style error code, formatted as string. Example: "ERRNO=2" for ENOENT. BUSERROR=... If a daemon fails, the D-Bus error-style error code. Example: "BUSERROR=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut" MAINPID=... The main pid of the daemon, in case the init system did not fork off the process itself. Example: "MAINPID=4711" WATCHDOG=1 Tells systemd to update the watchdog timestamp. Services using this feature should do this in regular intervals. A watchdog framework can use the timestamps to detect failed services. It is recommended to prefix variable names that are not shown in the list above with X_ to avoid namespace clashes. Note that systemd will accept status data sent from a daemon only if the NotifyAccess= option is correctly set in the service definition file. See systemd.service(5) for details. sd_notifyf() is similar to sd_notify() but takes a printf()-like format string plus arguments. RETURN VALUE
On failure, these calls return a negative errno-style error code. If $NOTIFY_SOCKET was not set and hence no status data could be sent, 0 is returned. If the status was sent these functions return with a positive return value. In order to support both, init systems that implement this scheme and those which don't, it is generally recommended to ignore the return value of this call. NOTES
These functions are provided by the reference implementation of APIs for new-style daemons and distributed with the systemd package. The algorithms they implement are simple, and can easily be reimplemented in daemons if it is important to support this interface without using the reference implementation. Internally, these functions send a single datagram with the state string as payload to the AF_UNIX socket referenced in the $NOTIFY_SOCKET environment variable. If the first character of $NOTIFY_SOCKET is @ the string is understood as Linux abstract namespace socket. The datagram is accompanied by the process credentials of the sending daemon, using SCM_CREDENTIALS. For details about the algorithms check the liberally licensed reference implementation sources: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/plain/src/sd-daemon.c resp. http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/plain/src/systemd/sd-daemon.h sd_notify() and sd_notifyf() are implemented in the reference implementation's sd-daemon.c and sd-daemon.h files. These interfaces are available as shared library, which can be compiled and linked to with the libsystemd-daemon pkg-config(1) file. Alternatively, applications consuming these APIs may copy the implementation into their source tree. For more details about the reference implementation see sd_daemon(7). If the reference implementation is used as drop-in files and -DDISABLE_SYSTEMD is set during compilation these functions will always return 0 and otherwise become a NOP. ENVIRONMENT
$NOTIFY_SOCKET Set by the init system for supervised processes for status and start-up completion notification. This environment variable specifies the socket sd_notify() talks to. See above for details. EXAMPLES
Example 1. Start-up Notification When a daemon finished starting up, it might issue the following call to notify the init system: sd_notify(0, "READY=1"); Example 2. Extended Start-up Notification A daemon could send the following after completing initialization: sd_notifyf(0, "READY=1 " "STATUS=Processing requests... " "MAINPID=%lu", (unsigned long) getpid()); Example 3. Error Cause Notification A daemon could send the following shortly before exiting, on failure sd_notifyf(0, "STATUS=Failed to start up: %s " "ERRNO=%i", strerror(errno), errno); SEE ALSO
systemd(1), sd_daemon(7), daemon(7), systemd.service(5) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 SD_NOTIFY(3)