Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Redirect to a Variable? Or is it cmd cap? Post 302260844 by oxoxo on Friday 21st of November 2008 11:14:19 PM
Old 11-22-2008
Redirect to a Variable? Or is it cmd cap?

Hi,

Im reading an ANSI text file and greping for a pattern. Then i cut what i dont need from that pattern. So now i just have what i need. What i have now just so happens to be a constant integer. How can i save this integer in a varaible? Or do i use command capture in some form?

Code:
cat Hello.txt | egrep "That One Pattern" | awk '{print $NF}'

Also..This command might be really useful to me, i just dont understand it.
Since maybe i can use these varaibles with the one i would like to store above..

Code:
awk '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) s=s+$i}; END{print s}'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect to variable

how do you redirect stdout into a variable. whenever I try I get an ambiguous redirect error :( I am trying to validate some user input and failing miserably. cal $MONTH $YEAR | grep -c "$DAY" if the above is 1 then it is valid if 0 then not valid. I have been trying to redirect the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrAd
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to get a result of a cmd into variable?

Hi , I am trying following . I need to get a result of an autosys cmd into a unix variable. The autosys cmd is autostatus -G jpm_day_today Please help me in storing the value returned by this cmd into a unix variable. Appreciate your time to read this post. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manchau
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

after grep i want to redirect it to some variable

for the below grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1 the result of the grep i want to redirect into some variable, i tried to do veri=grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1 but it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect cat to variable

hello just i saw a really strange for cat i have file (file1) contains line /home/rajiv/proj1/*.txt now applied a commonds DDPATH="$(cat file1)" echo $DDPATH it shows all the txt files in that folder like /home/rajiv/proj1/read1.txt /home/rajiv/proj1/read2.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shailesh_arya
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how2 shell cmd into variable

How do I place the result of a shell command into a variable. I would like to save the pwd in $DIR. I tried... pwd | $DIR $DIR < pwd DIR=pwd thanks! jz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to input the return value (1 or 0) ping cmd to a variable

Hi I would like to ask about my plan script I have this several workstation want to monitor and execute a command without logging it we use "rsh $host "<command>" i create csh script using foreach to loop my several workstation, my problem with the rsh command is if it encounter a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

set output of linux cmd as a variable in .exp

I am trying to make a script to take commands from a .txt file ( line by line) and pass it using send ( used in another function ) what i am trying to achieve is : set nol "`grep '' ${exp_path2}/cmdlist.txt | wc -l `" as in shell script nol=`grep '' $exp_path2/cmdlist.txt | wc -l` ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixyantar
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem assigning cmd output to variable then using in IF statement

Hi, I'm using the bourn shell on a Sun Solaris Unix system. I am relatively new to UNIX scripting so please bear with me... I'm having a couple issues: 1) I need to have a variable $FSIZE set with the output of a command each time the script runs. (the command looks for a file and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dqrgk0
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Variable Value to a File

I have shell script generate.sh that has var="HP-UX" I am following example 19-8 in the below document. Here Documents The output.txt is generated however I want the value of variable var to be reflected in the contents of the output.txt file cat <<'EOF' #!/bin/bash connect("Welcome... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
FC-PATTERN(1)															     FC-PATTERN(1)

NAME
fc-pattern - parse and show pattern SYNOPSIS
fc-pattern [ -cdVh ] [ --config ] [ --default ] [ [ -f format ] [ --format format ] ] [ --version ] [ --help ] [ pattern [ element... ] ] DESCRIPTION
fc-pattern parses pattern (empty pattern by default) and shows the parsed result. If --config is given, config substitution is performed on the pattern before being displayed. If --default is given, default substitution is performed on the pattern before being displayed. If any elements are specified, only those are printed. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -c Perform config substitution on pattern. -d Perform default substitution on pattern. -f Format output according to the format specifier format. -V Show version of the program and exit. -h Show summary of options. pattern Parses and displays pattern (uses empty pattern by default). element If set, the element property is displayed for parsed pattern. SEE ALSO
FcNameParse(3) FcConfigSubstitute(3) FcDefaultSubstitute(3) FcPatternPrint(3) FcPatternFormat(3) fc-cat(1) fc-cache(1) fc-list(1) fc- match(1) fc-query(1) fc-scan(1) The fontconfig user's guide, in HTML format: /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html. AUTHOR
This manual page was updated by Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>. Apr 20, 2010 FC-PATTERN(1)