Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: loop question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting loop question Post 302260782 by Ikon on Friday 21st of November 2008 03:38:48 PM
Old 11-21-2008
$$ = The PID number of the process executing the shell.

use
Code:
dt=`date '+%Y%m%d'`

You was using:
%Y = Year
%M = Minutes (00-59)
%D = Date in %m/%d/%y format

Code:
%a Abbreviated weekday.
%b Abbreviated month name.
%c Country-specific date and time format.
%d Day of month (01-31).
%h Same as %b.
%j Julian day of year (001-366).
%k Hour in 24-hour format, without leading zeros (0-23).
%l Hour in 12-hour format, without leading zeros (1-12).
%m Month of year (01-12).
%n Insert a new line.
%p String to indicate a.m. or p.m.
%r Time in %I:%M:%S %p (12-hour) format.
%s Seconds since "the Epoch," which is 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC (a nonstandard extension).
%t Insert a tab.
%w Day of week (Sunday = 0).
%x Country-specific date format based on locale.
%y Last two digits of year (00-99).
%z RFC 822-style numeric time zone.
%A Full weekday.
%B Full month name.
%D Date in %m/%d/%y format.
%H Hour in 24-hour format (00-23).
%I Hour in 12-hour format (01-12).
%M Minutes (00-59).
%S Seconds (00-59).
%T Time in %H:%M:%S format.
%U Week number in year (00-53); start week on Sunday.
%V Week number in year (01-52); start week on Monday.
%W Week number in year (00-53); start week on Monday.
%X Country-specific time format based on locale.
%Y Four-digit year (e.g., 2006).
%Z Time-zone name.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop question

hi, how would i go about making a loop which gets each line from a single text file, set it to a variable and then print it to screen? thanks eg: #!/bin/sh FILE="somefile.txt" text_line="" what kind of loop would use here? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: strike
18 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop Question

I'm improving the way an existing script handles arrays, but the results aren't what I had in mind: e="Too many consecutive errors... System is probably unstable!" e="Cancelable Timer Wait Failed!" for errcd in ${e} do echo ${errcd} done The for loop interprets the spaces... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironhalo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop question

hey guys what im trying to do is do a simple script that will ask for a password and on the 5th time it says access denied if the right password is still not entered this is what i have so far can anyone help me im not good with scripting thanks in advance #!/bin/bash secretname=secret... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: randallrivy11
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop Question

I am struggling with the for loop. I have a file name heros.txt and I would like to go through a list in file where.txt and see if I can find the name from where inside heros. One of the problems that I am having is I dont understand how to setup the for loop to find the list to search.:wall: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: captaindoogles
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop question

Hi, I'm trying to put together a small script that will read a txt file that contains a list of two columns. Each column is the name of a folder.. e.g. AIX Server1 AIX Server2 AIX Server3 $ for i in `cat /opt/apacheprod/scripts/input/copy_list.txt` do PLATFORMVAR=`awk ' { print $1 } '... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop question

I have two files. In file one, there are many columns, but only two of interest to me. Column 1 contains a list of individuals, defined by an ID number. Column 10 contains the diagnosis that each individual has (I am a physician). All together, there are 3000 lines in this file, one line per... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awc228
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop Question

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to check for 10 files in Unix location. If all of the files present in that directory then i have execute another process. can you help me resolving this issue. sample location /home/usr abc.txt cde.txt aaaa.txt lll.txt ooo.txt if all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasvi24
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop question

Hi, I would really appreciate some help with manipulating a file. Here is my input file: SNP_1 : 1 SNP_11 : 1 SNP_2 -0.12 1 SNP_12 -0.3472 1 SNP_3 -0.708 1 SNP_13 0.5037 1 SNP_4 1.492 0.5 SNP_14 -0.0685 1 SNP_5 1.27 0.5 SNP_15 0.547 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about for loop

Hi, I have code like below disk_list=$(ls /root/file1) for disk in $disk_list do pvcreate $i done I know what pvcreate command does, but I do not understand what this $i do here. can someone please explain. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
2 Replies
LKSH(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LKSH(1)

NAME
lksh -- Legacy Korn shell built on mksh SYNOPSIS
lksh [-+abCefhiklmnprUuvXx] [-+o opt] [-c string | -s | file [args ...]] DESCRIPTION
lksh is a command interpreter intended exclusively for running legacy shell scripts. It is built on mksh; refer to its manual page for details on the scripting language. It is recommended to port scripts to mksh instead of relying on legacy or idiotic POSIX-mandated behav- iour, since the MirBSD Korn Shell scripting language is much more consistent. LEGACY MODE
lksh has the following differences from mksh: o lksh is not suitable for use as /bin/sh. o There is no explicit support for interactive use, nor any command line editing or history code. Hence, lksh is not suitable as a user's login shell, either; use mksh instead. o The KSH_VERSION string identifies lksh as ``LEGACY KSH'' instead of ``MIRBSD KSH''. o lksh only offers the traditional ten file descriptors to scripts. o lksh uses POSIX arithmetics, which has quite a few implications: The data type for arithmetics is the host ISO C long data type. Signed integer wraparound is Undefined Behaviour. The sign of the result of a modulo operation with at least one negative operand is unspeci- fied. Shift operations on negative numbers are unspecified. Division of the largest negative number by -1 is Undefined Behaviour. The compiler is permitted to delete all data and crash the system if Undefined Behaviour occurs. o The rotation arithmetic operators are not available. o The shift arithmetic operators take all bits of the second operand into account; if they exceed permitted precision, the result is unspecified. o The GNU bash extension &> to redirect stdout and stderr in one go is not parsed. o The mksh command line option -T is not available. o Unless set -o posix is active, lksh always uses traditional mode for constructs like: $ set -- $(getopt ab:c "$@") $ echo $? POSIX mandates this to show 0, but traditional mode passes through the errorlevel from the getopt(1) command. o lksh, unlike AT&T UNIX ksh, does not keep file descriptors > 2 private. SEE ALSO
mksh(1) https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm https://www.mirbsd.org/ksh-chan.htm CAVEATS
lksh tries to make a cross between a legacy bourne/posix compatibl-ish shell and a legacy pdksh-alike but ``legacy'' is not exactly speci- fied. The set built-in command does not have all options one would expect from a full-blown mksh or pdksh. Talk to the MirOS development team using the mailing list at <miros-mksh@mirbsd.org> or the #!/bin/mksh (or #ksh) IRC channel at irc.freenode.net (Port 6697 SSL, 6667 unencrypted) if you need any further quirks or assistance, and consider migrating your legacy scripts to work with mksh instead of requiring lksh. MirBSD May 2, 2013 MirBSD