Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Naming conventions for shared libraries in Linux Post 302260379 by fpmurphy on Thursday 20th of November 2008 10:36:04 AM
Old 11-20-2008
Shared libraries have a special name called the "soname'' which consists of the prefix "lib'', the name of the library, ".so'', followed by a period and a major version number that is incremented whenever the library APIs change.

Shared libraries also has a "real name'', which is the name of the file containing the actual library code. The real name is the soname followed by a period and a minor number, optionally followed by another period and a release number. Generally a fully qualified soname is simply a symbolic link to the real name.

For more information, look at the Linux Standard Base specifications.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared libraries

Hello everybody, I am having major problems at the moment with shared libraries and I have to little knowledge of them to solve them. So please, please help me :) Ok this is the problem: I have a library A, which uses B and C, and C uses again D. If I try to run A as plugin in apache,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micky
0 Replies

2. Programming

shared libraries

I am compiling code which produces .a and .la libraries. How can I produce .so libraries? I know that gcc -shared does but how? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thalex
2 Replies

3. Linux

Shared Libraries

How do i make a library shared say i have a library a.so which i have just compiled. I want to make it shared how do i make it Next Queation is what is the difference between a.so.0 a.so.1 a.so.2 & a.so :rolleyes: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

4. Programming

how to view loaded shared libraries by running processes in linux

anybody knows how to view loaded shared libraries by running processes in linux enviornment? any command or tool ? thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
3 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Naming convention for Libraries..

Hi All, I need to know standard naming convention for Unix libraries (including all flavours of unix)..As I have gone through some sites and found out The UNIX convention for naming of libraries is lib<name>.so.<major>.<minor>.<revision> so is it statndard . also does it change... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkshukla14
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

static and shared libraries

can someone explain whether my understanding is correct lets suppose we have a program that uses library x. if x is static then the code of x will be part of our program, so if we're going to have 5 executables of our program, then each executable will have x as part of it. Also, x does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

7. Solaris

A query on Disk naming conventions in Solaris.

These are findings by me with my little experience with Solaris 10. Please correct me if wrong.. In x86 systems with ide hard disk: c= controller d=disk s=slice 1.Here controller c0 means the primary ide controller ide0. controller c1 means the secondary ide controller ide1. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Iscsi shared disk - same naming across server

Hi all, Is there anyway i can control the naming of the disk device ? I have added an iscsi disk on server1 using iscsiadm , devfsadm and it is now showing as /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 in node1 However, i am worried that the same disk will appear as /dev/dsk/cXtXd0 in node2 This iscsi disk(lun)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
0 Replies

9. Programming

C/C++ shared libraries on Linux.

This is the first time that I created a dynamic library in linux and although the program works, I do not get the correct information about the library when executing ldd. I explain the details: 1) Source code: bye_fn.c: #include <stdio.h> #include "hello.h" void bye (const char*... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose_spain
9 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

Proper naming conventions

Hey guys, not sure should I post it here or in 'What is on Your Mind?' I'm discussing usage of DSL (domain specific language) in security tools with my colleagues. We haven't been able to reach an agreement over naming conventions. There are many tools using DSL: splunk, sumologic,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tobby P
2 Replies
SPROF(1)							 Linux User Manual							  SPROF(1)

NAME
sprof - read and display shared object profiling data SYNOPSIS
sprof [option]... shared-object-path [profile-data-path] DESCRIPTION
The sprof command displays a profiling summary for the shared object (shared library) specified as its first command-line argument. The profiling summary is created using previously generated profiling data in the (optional) second command-line argument. If the profiling data pathname is omitted, then sprof will attempt to deduce it using the soname of the shared object, looking for a file with the name <soname>.profile in the current directory. OPTIONS
The following command-line options specify the profile output to be produced: -c, --call-pairs Print a list of pairs of call paths for the interfaces exported by the shared object, along with the number of times each path is used. -p, --flat-profile Generate a flat profile of all of the functions in the monitored object, with counts and ticks. -q, --graph Generate a call graph. If none of the above options is specified, then the default behavior is to display a flat profile and a call graph. The following additional command-line options are available: -?, --help Display a summary of command-line options and arguments and exit. --usage Display a short usage message and exit. -V, --version Display the program version and exit. CONFORMING TO
The sprof command is a GNU extension, not present in POSIX.1. EXAMPLE
The following example demonstrates the use of sprof. The example consists of a main program that calls two functions in a shared object. First, the code of the main program: $ cat prog.c #include <stdlib.h> void x1(void); void x2(void); int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { x1(); x2(); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } The functions x1() and x2() are defined in the following source file that is used to construct the shared object: $ cat libdemo.c #include <unistd.h> void consumeCpu1(int lim) { int j; for (j = 0; j < lim; j++) getppid(); } void x1(void) { int j; for (j = 0; j < 100; j++) consumeCpu1(200000); } void consumeCpu2(int lim) { int j; for (j = 0; j < lim; j++) getppid(); } void x2(void) { int j; for (j = 0; j < 1000; j++) consumeCpu2(10000); } Now we construct the shared object with the real name libdemo.so.1.0.1, and the soname libdemo.so.1: $ cc -g -fPIC -shared -Wl,-soname,libdemo.so.1 -o libdemo.so.1.0.1 libdemo.c Then we construct symbolic links for the library soname and the library linker name: $ ln -sf libdemo.so.1.0.1 libdemo.so.1 $ ln -sf libdemo.so.1 libdemo.so Next, we compile the main program, linking it against the shared object, and then list the dynamic dependencies of the program: $ cc -g -o prog prog.c -L. -ldemo $ ldd prog linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff86d66000) libdemo.so.1 => not found libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6(0x00007fd4dc138000) /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2(0x00007fd4dc51f000) In order to get profiling information for the shared object, we define the environment variable LD_PROFILE with the soname of the library: $ export LD_PROFILE=libdemo.so.1 We then define the environment variable LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT with the pathname of the directory where profile output should be written, and create that directory if it does not exist already: $ export LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT=$(pwd)/prof_data $ mkdir -p $LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT LD_PROFILE causes profiling output to be appended to the output file if it already exists, so we ensure that there is no preexisting pro- filing data: $ rm -f $LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT/$LD_PROFILE.profile We then run the program to produce the profiling output, which is written to a file in the directory specified in LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT: $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./prog $ ls prof_data libdemo.so.1.profile We then use the sprof -p option to generate a flat profile with counts and ticks: $ sprof -p libdemo.so.1 $LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT/libdemo.so.1.profile Flat profile: Each sample counts as 0.01 seconds. % cumulative self self total time seconds seconds calls us/call us/call name 60.00 0.06 0.06 100 600.00 consumeCpu1 40.00 0.10 0.04 1000 40.00 consumeCpu2 0.00 0.10 0.00 1 0.00 x1 0.00 0.10 0.00 1 0.00 x2 The sprof -q option generates a call graph: $ sprof -q libdemo.so.1 $LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT/libdemo.so.1.profile index % time self children called name 0.00 0.00 100/100 x1 [1] [0] 100.0 0.00 0.00 100 consumeCpu1 [0] ----------------------------------------------- 0.00 0.00 1/1 <UNKNOWN> [1] 0.0 0.00 0.00 1 x1 [1] 0.00 0.00 100/100 consumeCpu1 [0] ----------------------------------------------- 0.00 0.00 1000/1000 x2 [3] [2] 0.0 0.00 0.00 1000 consumeCpu2 [2] ----------------------------------------------- 0.00 0.00 1/1 <UNKNOWN> [3] 0.0 0.00 0.00 1 x2 [3] 0.00 0.00 1000/1000 consumeCpu2 [2] ----------------------------------------------- Above and below, the "<UNKNOWN>" strings represent identifiers that are outside of the profiled object (in this example, these are instances of main()). The sprof -c option generates a list of call pairs and the number of their occurrences: $ sprof -c libdemo.so.1 $LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT/libdemo.so.1.profile <UNKNOWN> x1 1 x1 consumeCpu1 100 <UNKNOWN> x2 1 x2 consumeCpu2 1000 SEE ALSO
gprof(1), ldd(1), ld.so(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SPROF(1)