Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recursive Concatenation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursive Concatenation Post 302260318 by yogi_raj_143 on Thursday 20th of November 2008 07:10:45 AM
Old 11-20-2008
use find command

Quote:
find ./foo -maxdepth <number> -type f -name <filename_pattern> -exec cat \{} \;
Go through find man pages

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenation

What is syntax for String concatenation? I have $1 as directory. $var is some variable value '/' String value. How do I have to concatenate if I have to run utility - util $1 followed by '/' followed by $var There is no space between these three. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string concatenation

my input file contains thousands of lines like below 234A dept of education 9788 dept of commerce 8677 dept of engineering How do i add a delimeter ':' after FIRST 4 CHARACTERS in a line 234A:dept of education 9788:dept of commerce 8677:dept of engineering (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemsb
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Concatenation

Hi, I want to write a generic shell script, which can concatenate n number of files passed as parameter ;to an output file which is again a parameter Example catfl.sh outfl.txt a.txt b.txt c.txt (3 files to be concatenated into a file outfl.txt) catfl.sh outfl.txt a.txt b.txt(2 files to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenation

How can I do this: date = 4 -----------> 04 Month= 3-----------> 03 I wish to make a varibale named Var1 which will hold the value of current date and month value as: 2 digits for date. 2 digits for month. So finally var1 should hold value as 0403 --- MMDD (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Concatenation

Hi All, I need to concatenate the values in the array into a variable. Currently the code is : for (( i=1 ; i <= $minCount ; i++ )) do var="${var}""${sample_file}" done The output is : /tmp/1/tmp/2/tmp/3/tmp/4/tmp/5/tmp/6/tmp/7/tmp/8/tmp/9/tmp/10 I need a space between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line concatenation help

please help me on this.... cat /xx.txt 2:1 2 2:2 24 8:0 0 9:0 0 Expected result would be 2:1 2 2:2 24 8:0 0 9:0 0 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with String concatenation

I have a script which is migrated from AIX to Linux & now while running it is no able to concatenate string values The string concatenation step under while loop is not displaying desired result Please find below the piece of code: while read EXT_FILE ; do EXT_FILE=$EXT_FILE.ext.sent echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Textutil - recursive concatenation

I'm trying to concatenate all .doc files within a directory and its subdirectories using the textutil . So basically I have the same question as in this thread, but it is already closed so that's why I'm creating a new one. In that ocasion, the suggested solution was using find ./foo -maxdepth... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gari
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File concatenation

awk '{$2=$2":"$8"-"$3;$3=$NF;$4=$NF="";print $0 | $10=$10":"$8"-"$18;$11=$NF;$12=$NF="";print $0 }' design.txt Trying to concatenate specific fields in a spreadsheet and the others remain unchanged. I attached an excel spreadsheet (all the data comes from a design.txt), but I put an example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenation script

Hi, I have the following reports that get generated every 1 hour and this is my requirement: 1. 5 reports get generated every hour with the names "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CTLR" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.ACCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.BCCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CCCD"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
1 Replies
MAN(1)							      General Commands Manual							    MAN(1)

NAME
man - print out the manual SYNOPSIS
man [ - ] [ -a ] [ -M path ] [ section ] title ... DESCRIPTION
Man is the program which provides on-line access to the UNIX manual. If a section specifier is given, man looks in that section of the manual for the given title(s). Section is either an Arabic section number (``3'' for example), or one of the words ``local'', ``new,'' or ``old''. (The abbreviations ``l'', ``n'', and ``o'' are also allowed.) If section is omitted, man searches all sections of the manual, giving preference to commands over library subroutines, and displays the first manual page it finds, if any. If the -a option is supplied, man displays all applicable manual pages. Normally man checks in standard locations (/usr/man and /usr/local/man) for manual information. This can be changed by supplying a search path (a la the Bourne shell) with the -M flag. The search path is a colon (``:'') separated list of directories in which man expects to find the standard manual subdirectories. This search path can also be set with the environmental variable MANPATH. Since some manual pages are intended for use only on certain machines, man only searches those directories applicable to the current machine. Man's determination of the current machine type can be overridden by setting the environmental variable MACHINE. If the standard output is a teletype, and the - flag is not provided, man uses more(1), or the pager provided by the environmental variable PAGER, to display the manual page. The FORTRAN version of section 3 of the manual may be specified by supplying man with the section ``3f''. Also, a specific section of the local manual may be specified by appending a number to the section, i.e. ``l5'' would indicate section 5 of the local manual. FILES
/usr/man standard manual area /usr/man/cat?/* directories containing standard manual pages /usr/local/man/cat?/* directories containing local manual pages /usr/src/man directories containing unformatted manual pages SEE ALSO
apropos(1), more(1), whatis(1), whereis(1) BUGS
The manual is supposed to be reproducible either on the phototypesetter or on a typewriter, however, on a typewriter, some information is necessarily lost. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 19, 1988 MAN(1)