Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Calling alias
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Calling alias Post 302260173 by shantanuo on Thursday 20th of November 2008 12:22:48 AM
Old 11-20-2008
Lightbulb Calling alias

I have created a shortcut for the file kill_process.sh as shown below.

alias kill_process="sh /root/kill_process.sh"

It is working as per my expectations. But I have 2 questions.
1) Is there any better way?
2) How do I check what does kill_process link to?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias

I'm trying to do the following: Create an alias called whopw that will change directory to the /etc directory and grep the password file for my username to return my password file entry. One assumption: Once the alias works, I will be letting all of my friends copy and use it. In other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klannon
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias

Hello, I'm a beginner to Unix and I want to create an alias that lists the given directory in long format; the alias should use a pager to display the result. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guelpth
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias help

Hi I have a problem when i try to set any thing as alias it works say alias sasa="cd /home/hghgg" but when i close the terminal it does not work (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafique
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Alias

Hi, I have a software package consisting of a group of BASH shell scripts. There is a master script which calls a series of subscripts. To run the software users must open the master script, modify and save it, and then run it. To open the script you can either double-click on it, or you can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias

Hi, I have created alias in UNIX environment (ie in .cshrc file). But when i use the alias in the UNIX script, getting an error message as that is not found. But when i use that alias, outside the script it is working fine. Let me know if you need more details For example: alias cderror... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using alias

I need to login to one server and then switch the user and set a number alias. But i cant modify the .profile file. I have one script avi1.sh $ more avi.sh sudo su - bil sh avi1.sh and in home directory of bil i have avi1.sh that says $ more avi1.sh alias l='ls -ltr' alias b='cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackeyed
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias

Hello. Q:Is it possible to create an alias for "nedit *. ". If it is how does it look like? Tks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geko
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ALIAS

how to make alias perament? I have edited in .bashrc also but no use:(.How to manke it perament (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies
CELLALIAS(5)							AFS File Reference						      CELLALIAS(5)

NAME
CellAlias - Maps cell names to aliases in /afs DESCRIPTION
The CellAlias file is used by the Unix cache manager when it is using Dynamic Root (-dynroot) mode. It creates symbolic links in the dynamic root (/afs) that link an alias for a cell (usually a short name) to the full name for the cell. The most common use of this configuration file is to allow short names for frequently used cell names. Traditionally, such short names would be created by the local AFS administrator by creating symbolic links in the "root.afs" volume. Such symlinks do not appear when Dynamic Root is enabled because, with Dynamic Root, the Cache Manager does not mount or look at the "root.afs" volume. CellAlias is a replacement that allows such short names to be created under the client control. If you configure a short name mapping such as "ir" for "ir.stanford.edu", the mapping of ".ir" to ".ir.stanford.edu" for the read/write version of the "root.cell" volume for that cell will be created automatically. There is no need to list that alias separately. afsd will report an error on startup if the dotted entry is listed separately. The contents of the CellAlias file should consist of one line of two whitespace-separated columns per alias. The first column is the real name of the cell, and the second column is the alias that should be created. EXAMPLES
The following CellAlias file: openafs.org openafs uncc.edu uncc results in the following symbolic links: /afs/.openafs -> /afs/.openafs.org /afs/openafs -> /afs/openafs.org /afs/.uncc -> /afs/.uncc.edu /afs/uncc -> /afs/uncc.edu SEE ALSO
fs_newalias(1), fs_listaliases(1), afsd(8) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 CELLALIAS(5)