Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Does Posix support kernel level threading? Post 302260034 by jayfriend on Wednesday 19th of November 2008 12:54:14 PM
Old 11-19-2008
Does Posix support kernel level threading?

Hi All,

Please let me know the following.
1) Does POSIX lib support kernel threads? if yes, please let me know what are the specific function calls used to create/manage kernel threads.
2) Is Posix scalable?
3) Does POSIX take the advantage of multiprocessor systems?

your help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multi threading using posix thread library

hi all, can anyone tell me some good site for the mutithreading tutorials, its application, and some code examples. -sushil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shushilmore
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oot: Level 2 Unix Support? meaning

Hi all, I am sorry, I know this is not correct forum/silly question (usually this is requirement in some vacancies), but i hope someone can explain to me, what is the meaning of : SUN Tier 3 Support Tier 3 Application Installation Level 2 Solaris Level 2 AD MOM + DBA Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Where/What/Howto solve warning/error msg about Kernel patch level?

required Solaris 5.10 Kernel patch 137111-03 required Solaris 5.10 Fibre Channel Device Driver patch 125184-08 I want to know about the descriptions and what the patches will do. I searched www.sun.com (patches/updates) but don't see I am looking for. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Y4Net
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Support

Hi, I want to learn that all the family of x86 processors are supported by kernel. I want to buy a board, which has VIA ESP10K processor and CHIPSET: VIA CN333 north bridge & VIA VT8237R south bridge Where can I find this? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yildiz.a
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL (POSIX and NFSv4) Support over NFS shared drives on different Unix platforms

Hello, I have a question regarding ACLs and their availability across different Unix platforms via NFS share. If I have an AIX/FreeBSD/Solaris/HP-UX client that has an nfs share from a different system mounted on it, will the ACLs on the nfs share be processed properly? My guess is that as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Kernel Patch level of ABE.

Hi, Anyone able to advise on how to find the kernel patch level of an ABE? showrev and uname -a will provide kernel patch details of the running environment, but how can I run these commands against the ABE or where do these commands get their information from i.e. is the kernel patch level... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CiCa
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Phenom II support in kernel

Does anyone know at which kernel version support for Phenom II x6 first appeared? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsel
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Older OS support in Kernel zones

folks, I have a query. Can we create Kernel zone with the earlier Solaris OS? More precisely Can i create kernel zone with any different OS than that of OS in global zone. As of now in sol11U2 if we create kernel zone, there will be sol11u2 OS in kernel zone since the same is in global. But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaishey
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Does UNIX support multi-Threading ?

Not just background process running ... but im looking if unix has any multi-threading concept like in Java, C# ... if not present, can you pls share the nearest feature in unix that is close to multi-threaded concept (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
NPTL(7)                                                      Linux Programmer's Manual                                                     NPTL(7)

NAME
nptl - Native POSIX Threads Library DESCRIPTION
NPTL (Native POSIX Threads Library) is the GNU C library POSIX threads implementation that is used on modern Linux systems. NPTL and signals NPTL makes internal use of the first two real-time signals (signal numbers 32 and 33). One of these signals is used to support thread can- cellation and POSIX timers (see timer_create(2)); the other is used as part of a mechanism that ensures all threads in a process always have the same UIDs and GIDs, as required by POSIX. These signals cannot be used in applications. To prevent accidental use of these signals in applications, which might interfere with the operation of the NPTL implementation, various glibc library functions and system call wrapper functions attempt to hide these signals from applications, as follows: * SIGRTMIN is defined with the value 34 (rather than 32). * The sigwaitinfo(2), sigtimedwait(2), and sigwait(3) interfaces silently ignore requests to wait for these two signals if they are speci- fied in the signal set argument of these calls. * The sigprocmask(2) and pthread_sigmask(3) interfaces silently ignore attempts to block these two signals. * The sigaction(2), pthread_kill(3), and pthread_sigqueue(3) interfaces fail with the error EINVAL (indicating an invalid signal number) if these signals are specified. * sigfillset(3) does not include these two signals when it creates a full signal set. NPTL and process credential changes At the Linux kernel level, credentials (user and group IDs) are a per-thread attribute. However, POSIX requires that all of the POSIX threads in a process have the same credentials. To accommodate this requirement, the NPTL implementation wraps all of the system calls that change process credentials with functions that, in addition to invoking the underlying system call, arrange for all other threads in the process to also change their credentials. The implementation of each of these system calls involves the use of a real-time signal that is sent (using tgkill(2)) to each of the other threads that must change its credentials. Before sending these signals, the thread that is changing credentials saves the new creden- tial(s) and records the system call being employed in a global buffer. A signal handler in the receiving thread(s) fetches this informa- tion and then uses the same system call to change its credentials. Wrapper functions employing this technique are provided for setgid(2), setuid(2), setegid(2), seteuid(2), setregid(2), setreuid(2), setres- gid(2), setresuid(2), and setgroups(2). CONFORMING TO
For details of the conformance of NPTL to the POSIX standard, see pthreads(7). NOTES
POSIX says that any thread in any process with access to the memory containing a process-shared (PTHREAD_PROCESS_SHARED) mutex can operate on that mutex. However, on 64-bit x86 systems, the mutex definition for x86-64 is incompatible with the mutex definition for i386, meaning that 32-bit and 64-bit binaries can't share mutexes on x86-64 systems. SEE ALSO
credentials(7), pthreads(7), signal(7), standards(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-08-08 NPTL(7)