Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking netstat - possible reasons for high IP count ??? Post 302259979 by joquendo on Wednesday 19th of November 2008 11:23:57 AM
Old 11-19-2008
Have you isolated what programs were being accessed by those addresses? Depending on what exactly your script is doing, it may not be a practical idea. Large companies often have gateways which will make it seem as if one person (one IP) is accessing hundreds of instances of a page. So imagine say 200 people at Cisco viewing your site. While you see it as one address, the fact is, there are many people viewing the site.

What is the overall purpose of your script. Considering I can spoof addresses, if your firewall is misconfigured, your provider isn't doing BCP filtering, as an attack vector, I can make your server ignore everything via 0.0.0.0 spoofing.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun: High kernel usage & very high load averages

Hi, I am seeing very high kernel usage and very high load averages on my system (Although we are not loading much data to our database). Here is the output of top...does anyone know what i should be looking at? Thanks, Lorraine last pid: 13144; load averages: 22.32, 19.81, 16.78 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorrainenineill
4 Replies

2. Solaris

To find out the reasons it crash

What are the steps to find out the reasons it crash in the solaris machine (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepkv
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job not working for some reasons

I set up a new cron job. I have set cron jobs many times in the past and never faced issues. For some reasons my new cron job is not working.This is how my cron job looks like. plz help me out guys. 3,8,13,18,23,28,33,38,43,48,53,58 * * * * /siebel/sblp900/home/FSMTaskChk/script... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
14 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Kubuntu on (certain) Lenovo laptops not possible - reasons?

Hi. I've used the Wubi install of Ubuntu and Kubuntu on my Windows XP machine for close to half a year now. My brother has let me know of a program where he works by which they're getting rid of (with support negated) several Lenovo laptops, on which, he also informs me, the K 'flavor' of Ubuntu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

apache high cpu load on high traffic

i have a Intel Quad Core Xeon X3440 (4 x 2.53GHz, 8MB Cache, Hyper Threaded) with 16gig and 1tb harddrive with a 1gb port and my apache is causing my cpu to go up to 100% on all four cores heres my http.config <IfModule prefork.c> StartServers 10 MinSpareServers 10 MaxSpareServers 15... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Reasons for NOT using LDOMs? reliability?

Dear Solaris Experts, We are upgrading from sun4u to T4 systems and one proposal is to use LDOMs and also zones within LDOMs. Someone advised using only zones and not LDOMs because the new machines have fewer chips and if a chip or a core fails then it doesn't impact the zones, but impacts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: User121
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count no of netstat states

netstat | awk '/server/ {for(i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print}' Output: ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED TIME_WAIT TIME_WAIT From the above command I'm getting all the states. I want to count the states and write to a file, like "Count of ESTABLISHED... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
6 Replies
AA-UNCONFINED(8)						     AppArmor							  AA-UNCONFINED(8)

NAME
aa-unconfined - output a list of processes with tcp or udp ports that do not have AppArmor profiles loaded SYNOPSIS
aa-unconfined DESCRIPTION
aa-unconfined will use netstat(8) to determine which processes have open network sockets and do not have AppArmor profiles loaded into the kernel. BUGS
aa-unconfined must be run as root to retrieve the process executable link from the /proc filesystem. This program is susceptible to race conditions of several flavours: an unlinked executable will be mishandled; an executable started before a AppArmor profile is loaded will not appear in the output, despite running without confinement; a process that dies between the netstat(8) and further checks will be mishandled. This program only lists processes using TCP and UDP. In short, this program is unsuitable for forensics use and is provided only as an aid to profiling all network-accessible processes in the lab. If you find any bugs, please report them at <http://https://bugs.launchpad.net/apparmor/+filebug>. SEE ALSO
netstat(8), apparmor(7), apparmor.d(5), aa_change_hat(2), and <http://wiki.apparmor.net>. AppArmor 2.7.103 2012-06-28 AA-UNCONFINED(8)