Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what's the Linux|Unix OSes works on Servers Post 302259964 by jlliagre on Wednesday 19th of November 2008 10:49:22 AM
Old 11-19-2008
Solaris works fine as a client OS too ... but what do you really mean by "works" ? "Works better" ? "Works at all" ?

I expect all Unix and Unix like OSes to work by design both as servers and as clients.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Unix/PHP/MySQL & servers?

Hello everyone! First I would like to say that I am very glad that I found this forum, and by some of the posts I have viewed, I see that I can learn a lot from you all! Secondly, I know next to nothing about Linux/Unix (gotta learn sometime right?) and need some assistance. I am a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kolton
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the industry standard for number of servers per Unix/Linux engineer?

What is the industry standard for number of servers per Unix/Linux engineer and are there any white papers or the like that discuss this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rav78uk
1 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Microsoft servers Vs. Unix/Linux

What you have to say about the following comparison: Compare (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with script in linux but in unix works

I have this simple script: #! /usr/bin/sh #***************************************************************************** # *** get_input (question variable) *** #***************************************************************************** get_input () { echo "${BOLD}${1} : " read... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|KiLLeR|S
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to setup NTP on unix and linux servers?

I have a hostname/ip of our network time server. What are the steps to take to set each server up to synchronize the clocks? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChadKam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed works on Linux and Unix does not work

Hi, I use this command in Linux but if I run the same command does not work in freebsd. Follow the below command: Linux works: sed -e '1731a\' -e '####' squid.conf > squid2.conf ; sed -e '1731a\' -e 'acl TESTE_ip src 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.255' squid2.conf > squid.conf ; sed -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreirp
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get size of a file using ls on all UNIX OSes

to get the most granular size of a file, you can do so with: solaris hosts: ls -l /tmp/filea | awk '{print $4}' linux hosts: ls -l /tmp/filea | awk '{print $5}' Is there a more universal command that will give the file size? i'm leery of this ls command because the fields in... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
21 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why statement works in LINUX and not UNIX?

Hello, I have a ksh script that uses code below. For some reason it works under linux but fails in unix. Any idea why? if ]; then ... Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Find List of MQ and Websphere certificates that are installed on Linux and UNIX servers?

Dear All, I am planning to find the list of certificates(WEBshpere/MQ) on a servers. My certificates are either stored in (.jks) / (.pem)/ (.cer) . But some of the certificates are stored without these file formats. I tried using find command but unless I give the file name its difficult for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidh_arth85
4 Replies
rlprd(8)						       UNIX Reference Manual							  rlprd(8)

NAME
rlprd - remote printing proxy daemon SYNOPSIS
rlprd [-nqV] [-pport] [-ttimeout] [--debug] DESCRIPTION
rlprd is a proxy which runs between the remote printing commands (rlpr(1), rlpq(1), and rlprm(1)) and standard lpd print servers in situa- tions where the remote printing commands cannot be installed setuid root. For a discussion on how to configure the remote printing com- mands, please see rlpr(1). rlprd needs to be installed setuid root - if it cannot be run this way, it is useless. rlprd works by mapping non-privileged port requests from rlpr(1) clients to privileged ports so that lpd's will listen to them. Eliminat- ing the "security" gained by having privileged ports is a non-issue, since the Internet is no longer just Unix, and Unix is the only OS that has the privileged port concept. rlprd is not a replacement for lpd(8). It merely passes data to a lpd(8) on a target machine (which is specified by an invocation of a remote printing command). However, when a client is using the rlpr suite of tools to do remote printing, the client does not need to run an lpd(8) locally. Note that once an rlprd is set up on a network (including the Internet), any host may connect to it and use its proxy services if it knows the name of the machine running it. OPTIONS
--debug Print gobs of debugging information. -n, --no-daemon Don't run rlprd as a daemon. Usually not needed. -p, --port=number Select an alternate port (instead of 7290) to listen on. Usually not needed. -q, --quiet, --silent Quiet mode - stay quiet (except for fatal errors). -t --timeout=seconds Set the inactivity timer. If the connection hangs for more than seconds seconds, then rlprd will time out the connection. Use the special value `-1' to wait forever. Default timeout is 3 seconds. -V, --version Print version and exit. SEE ALSO
rlpr(1), rlpq(1), rlprm(1), rlprrc(5) AUTHOR
meem <meem@gnu.org> BUGS
/LIMITATIONS It is not currently possible to run rlprd from inetd(8). rlpr 2.04 1999/10/28 rlprd(8)