Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX 5.2/5.3 - rootvg on SAN disk - pros and cons Post 302259654 by aixylinux on Tuesday 18th of November 2008 03:43:36 PM
Old 11-18-2008
How did you do it?

Please share with us how you did it. I have exactly the same problem -- trying to boot AIX from a metro-mirrored rootvg disk. When I try the boot, it stops on at LED 555. I suspect the problem is that the rootvg disk on the copy has a different LUN serial number than the one recorded in the ODM. I've found this serial number in several places and am considering zapping it to the new value. It's safe enough to play with the copy -- I can always resync it from the original if I toast it.

I have set dyntrk=yes on fscsi device, but that did not help.

AIX Support told me that it is not supported to boot from a copied LUN; but if you've found a way, I don't care. I have a lot of systems to move from one SVC to another, and backup/restore will be way too slow and take too much downtime.

Windows and Linux systems do not seem to care--as long as all the bits are where they are supposed to be, they are happy. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

NFS Pros and Cons

Can anyone provide the pros and cons of having an NFS mount on an AIX server. Or direct me to documentation that provides this information. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcateriny
1 Replies

2. AIX

AIX disk less with SAN

Hi All, I have mirrored SAN volume on my B80 rootvg. Can I just remove the mirror and "Remove a P V from a V G" and it will be a diskless AIX? Is that going to boot on SAN rootvg volume? Thanks in advance, itik (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Password Automation pros/cons

folks, I have a security related question, to all you. Please share your comments with me. I have a situation where i was asked to automate the password in my application, which expires every 6 months. In this case i need to generate a random password and set the password on some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharma
2 Replies

4. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

PING pros and cons

I have some questions regarding ping a. im planning to add all my servers to nagios for monitoring purposes. since nagios will do "PING" on the IP address (to check if UP or down), will there be affect on all my servers? say resource utilization, memory, etc? Will it add up or slow down the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pros and cons for Text User Interface and Curses::UI

Anyone has experience or study with Text User Interface and Curses::UI using Perl? - What is the criteria to decide which method is better for a console based UI? - Which DTL (dialog tag language) is supported by these? The background is that I want to write a wrapper over some UNIX tools... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikrantl
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pros and cons of a Journaled file System

Hello, Could anyone please enumerate some of the pros and cons to using a Journaled FileSystem? ---------- Post updated at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:45 PM ---------- I know clearly not losing data during a failed move or copy is a big pro, correct? Let's build off of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

8. AIX

SAN Disk Appearing double in AIX

Hello Folks, I have directly connected my IBM Pseries AIX machine to SAN Storage I have a dual port Fibre Channel Adapter Connected both fiber ports to SAN Box IBM DS4500 Controller A & Controller B Using IBM DS storage manager client 10 -- created one logical disk and assigned to a... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
18 Replies

9. AIX

SAN DISK raid level in AIX

Hello All, Our servers having emc clarion for the data disks. Is that possible to see those san disks raid level from AIX ? Am having AIX 6.1 and EMC clarion 5.5. Regards, Gowtham.G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies

10. AIX

San disk appearing double in old AIX

Hi guys, :) I'm a studient in IT field (AIX) I'm trying to map a LUN from a SAN (DS3400) to an AIX server (5300-04-00) I know there is no MPIO on this version of AIX, and i see double my LUN from the SAN root@localhost # lscfg | grep hdisk + hdisk7 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tharsan
13 Replies
BOOT.CONFIG(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    BOOT.CONFIG(5)

NAME
boot.config -- Configuration file for the boot blocks DESCRIPTION
The boot.config file contains options for the FreeBSD boot block code. When the FreeBSD boot loader runs, it searches the ``a'' slice of the boot partition for a boot.config file (as a result, slices which are missing an ``a'' partition require user intervention during the boot process). If the boot.config file is found, its contents are used as the default configuration options for the boot block code and are echoed to the system console. A valid format of this file is to put BIOS drive number, a controller type, a unit number, a partition, a kernel file name, and any other valid boot(8) option on a single line, as it is done at the ``boot:'' prompt. The options related to the boot image selection described below and all the other options available for boot.config are documented in detail in the boot(8) manual page. FILES
/boot.config parameters for the boot blocks (optional) EXAMPLES
The command: # echo "-P" > /boot.config will activate the serial console of FreeBSD. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader" > /boot.config will instruct the second stage of boot(8) on the first disk to boot with the third boot(8) stage from the second disk. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader -P" > /boot.config will do both of the above. SEE ALSO
boot(8), loader(8) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
May 13, 2007 BSD