Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search flat file and return 3 fields Post 302259289 by da2357 on Monday 17th of November 2008 05:48:46 PM
Old 11-17-2008
Search flat file and return 3 fields

I need to be able to search a flat file (comma-separated values) for a specific value and then return the following 2 fields into variables. Here's a sample flat file:

SN,Account,IPaddress
W120394YF,adam,10.0.20.2
W394830PR,betty,10.0.20.3
W847582TD,charlie,10.0.20.4
W749509AY,donna,10.0.20.5

I already have BASH code that extracts the computer's serial number and stores it to SERIALNUM. I want to search the file for that SERIALNUM and return the following 2 fields in ACCT and IPADD. Suggestions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to return all the ID's from file based on the distribution ID search

Hi, Please help me out on this I have to store some distribution lists(dl) in a file say mail.txt Say the file format be d1 = alok@yahoo.co.in;alvin@rediffmail.com;vijay@yahoo.com; & so on... d2 = abhinav@gmail.com;dalpit@hotmail.com;garima@yahoo.com;& so on... d3 = .... & so on Now what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumbhatalok
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for String within File and Return File Name

How do I search for a string within a file and return the names of the file that contain the string? I would like to search directories and sub-directories. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bggibson
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search fields within a file

I need to be able to search multiple fields within a file that contain blank (nothing). Not sure what command to use? thought it would be grep but not sure how to write it The reason is i have a script that when it does this and identifies a field which has a blank it errors out of the script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

`find`, pulling 1st field from ASCII flat file as search/-name?

Hey Everyone! I have searched around for this on Unix.com and Google, and I'm either not phrasing my search properly or this is not as simple as I thought... I have a script that runs on a nightly basis that pulls one field worth of data from an internal MySQL database and populates to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gecko12332
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search flat file in specific byte

I am on AIX Unix. I want to read a flat file for a string in a certain byte. I want to find the value: 943034 in column 56; and write out just those records to another file. Also, could I get the line/record number of where it was found in the input file? Thank you, sboxtops (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific pattern in file and return number of occurence

Hi I want to search for a specific pattern in file Say ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD;PQR ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD_IS_NOT_ENOUGH;XYZ ABC;HELLO_UNIX_FORUM;LMN Pattern to search is : "HELLO_UNIX_*****" and not "HELLO_UNIX_***_***_" I mean after "HELLO_UNIX" there can only be one word.In this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk script to search and replace text in a flat file

Hi I am new to unix and newbie to this forum. I need help in writing a gawk script that search and replace particular text in a flat file. Input file text : ZIDE_CONTROL000 100000000003869920900000300000001ISYNC 000002225489 0000000002232122 20120321 16:40:53 ZIDE_RECORD000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkausmel
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to delete fields from flat file

I would like to know awk command to delete the specific feild from a flat file delimited by '|' if the first feild starts with 354 I tried awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|"} {$16=""; sub(/\|/, "")}'1 Input file: 354|||||GROUND||97||JUDD STREET|||LONDON||WC1H 9JG|ADI001| 354|||||FLAT 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for blank fields in a text file from a certain position?

Sample txt file : OK00001111112| OK00003443434|skjdaskldj OK32812983918|asidisoado OK00000000001| ZM02910291029|sldkjaslkjdasldjk what would be the shell script to figure out the blank space (if any) after the pipe sign? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
4 Replies
resize(1X)																resize(1X)

NAME
resize - set TERMCAP and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [-u] [-c] [-s[row col]] OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's cur- rent shell is not /bin/sh. This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/csh. This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the special xterm escape code. If rows and col- umns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. DESCRIPTION
The resize command prints a shell command for setting the TERM and TERMCAP environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm win- dow from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that do not have command functions will need to send the output to a tem- porary file and the read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out FILES
for the base termcap entry to modify. user's alias for the command. BUGS
The -u or -c must appear to the left of -s if both are specified. SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1X) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(1X) for a complete copyright notice. resize(1X)