Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script for finding an error from a log file Post 302259055 by dennis.jacob on Monday 17th of November 2008 06:20:22 AM
Old 11-17-2008
Post a sample log file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script to append a time for the existing error log file

Hi Guys, the requirement is like this, i am having a error log file in this format, 4594.493: parallel nursery GC 2594592K->2544691K (2969600K), 30.848 ms 4605.958: parallel nursery GC 2634887K->2584986K (2969600K), 38.900 ms 4619.079: parallel nursery GC 2822555K->2774812K... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsprasanna
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script required for finding records in 1 file with corresponding another file.

Hi, I have a .txt file (uniqfields.txt) with 3 fields separated by " | " (pipe symbol). This file contains unique values with respect to all these 3 fields taken together. There are about 40,000 SORTED records (rows) in this file. Sample records are given below. 1TVAO|OVEPT|VO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting help on finding exception in running log file

Hi all, I am trying to write a script for an application server log file where i want to put this script as a cron tab entry and it will check the server log file last 1000/500 line for every fifteen minute. i am using the script like this. count=`tail -n 1000 Trace.log | grep -c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthilkumar_ak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with finding unique string in log file

Shell script help Here is 3 sample lines from a log file <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID= user login <date> DEBUG <java.com.blah> <nlah bla> abcd:ID=123 user login <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID=3243 user login I want to find unique "ID" from this log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

5. AIX

Finding name of script file that signaled my process

Is there a way to find out the path/name of a script file that signaled my process? All that shows up from the signal info data is ksh. Even in getprocs64 is is just ksh. I am not sure why the full path and file name are not showing up instead of the shell name. I tried ptrace64 with PT_LDINFO but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccertl
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Need help with a shell script for finding a certain pattern from log file

Hell Guys, Being a newbie, I need some help in finding a certain string from a log file of thousands of lines (around 30K lines) and have the output in a separate file. Below is the file output - 10.155.65.5 - - "POST... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help finding info from log file

Hi, I have a log file that contains information such as this: date id number command1 command2 command3 command4 data data data date id number command1 command2 command3 command4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding errors in log file only in last 10 minutes

Hi there, I have a log file that I need to check every 10 minutes to find if a specific error exists but only in that 10 minute period. The reason is that the log is quite large, and will frequently contain these errors, so I only want alerting if it in the last 10 minutes - I don't want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul_vf
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to error script for a log file?

So, I have a log file I need to search for ORA- errors. If the only errors are: ORA-39082|ORA-39083|ORA-01917 then the script should have executed okay. If there are ORA- errors that are in the log file other than above, then I need to send a mail saying that the script failed. Any ideas... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cougartrace
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding file extension on C Shell script

I very new to C Shell. I am trying to do is read from Command line. Find the if the file is zip, .txt, symbloic link,pipe, unknow (if file is not zip, txt, sy....) here is what I what got so far. I am very stuck atm Please help me out : If the file is symblooc link what file is link to ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: madbull41
12 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux