Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Sort files on date field Post 302259046 by summer_cherry on Monday 17th of November 2008 05:36:40 AM
Old 11-17-2008
below perl may help you some

Code:
open FH,"<file";
@arr=<FH>;
close FH;
%hash=('Jan','01','Feb','02','Mar','03','Apr','04','May','05','Jun','06','Jul','07','Aug','08','Sep','09','Oct','10','Nov','11','Dec','12');
foreach(@arr){
	@temp=split("[.]",$_);
	my $str=buildnum($temp[2]);
	$res{$str}=$_;
}
foreach $key (sort keys %res){
	print $res{$key};
}
sub buildnum{
	my $str1=shift;
	$day=substr($str1,0,2);
	$mon=$hash{substr($str1,2,3)};
	$year="20".substr($str1,5,2);
	$time=substr($str1,-4);
	return $year.$mon.$day.$time;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

sort files by date

Hi All, Sorry to throw this frequent question but I lost my notes on it. How do you list the files by date? I'm on red hat. Thanks in advance, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a field in a file having date values

Hi All, I am having a pipe delimited file .In this file the 3rd column is having date values.I need to get the min date and max date from that file. I have used cut -d '|' test.dat -f 3|sort -u But it is not sorting the date .How to sort the date column using unix commands Thanks ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort files by date, not showing files from today

Hi all, i'm new here in this forum. I really like the helpful answers in this forum. Here a short question. For a script i have to sort files by date and exclude the files of the actual date. Sorting the files by date and preparing the output for awk is done by this line: ls -l... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlosdivega
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a set of files by date in a directory?

hi there, I have a directory which contents I can parse dynamically. I end up with a file list. I then want to display those files sorted by date, oldest files first. I have very very little PERL experience...Would anyone know how to do that ? Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexf
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort two columns in a field, one of them being a date

Hi, I have a set of columns in a csv file, my first row being an integer and 2nd being a date. I want to first sort it using the first column and then by the second. for e.g. i have , 1234,09/05/2009,hi 5678,01/01/2008,hi 1234,11/03/2006,hello 5678,28/07/2010,hello i tried this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort field by date mm/dd/yyyy

Hello Group, I would like to sort the below file by date (first year then month and day) and I used the following command but it does not work sort -n -t"/" -k3 -k1 -k2 "sample original file" 12/28/2009,1.0353 12/31/2009,1.0357 12/30/2009,1.0364 12/29/2009,1.0366 12/24/2009,1.0386... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort files by date in filename

Hi, I am a newbie to shell programming and I need some help in sorting a list of files in ascending order of date in the filenames. The file format is always : IGL01_AC_D_<YYYYMMDD>_N01_01 For example, in a directory MyDirectory I have the following files: IGL01_AC_D_20110712_N01_01.dat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yuggy
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Date Field with Sort -k :/

SOLVED : (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glitch100
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort the 6th field of tab delimited files?

Here's a sample of the data: NAME BIRTHDAY SEX LOCATION AGE ID Jim 05/11/1986 M Japan 27 86 Rei 08/25/1990 F Korea 24 33 Jane 02/24/1985 F India 29 78 I've been trying to sort files using the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maihani
8 Replies

10. AIX

Sort by date field in AIX

I wanted to sort the below data on 4th field(comma seperator) based on month and date and time on AIX OS. Input data: 3,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,30 Jul 06:30 5,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,30 Jul 06:49 10,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,02 Jan 05:41 4,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,30 Jul 06:36 2,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,28 Jul 06:45 9,AJ,30 Jul... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Joshi
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)