Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: two questions
Top Forums Programming two questions Post 302259039 by radoulov on Monday 17th of November 2008 05:19:34 AM
Old 11-17-2008
Moved to High Level Programming.
If it's really shell and not C, let me know and I will move the threat back to Shell Programming.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i got some questions :)

Hi! Im new to all this but the computer club im in has unix i think. now my questions. 1.is it NTFS i need to partion the harddrive with to be able to use unix? 2.Unix and Linux whats the diffrense?yes im a noob got no idea been using crap windows for ages and hate it. 3.I got a win98... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierre
2 Replies

2. Programming

C questions

What does "extern" do? ex. extern int x; and another question, what about using static in functions? like: static void foo(), why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

3. Solaris

2 Questions

Hello Everbody I hope you can give me a hand, I have some questions The first one itīs about some message that I donīt know what means, I was looking about it. but nothing. This is the message rsh: connection from bad port bsd-gw: Error reading from connection: Bad file number And my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just a few questions.

Hi everyone im new to this forums, i just wanted to get started by asking a few question(Im a Unix newbie) 1. How do i sort a file called "dirr" in a ascending order on the 3rd column 2. what does alias on=who do Thanks in advance!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Da Paper
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can any one help me out this questions.....

How do you locate all nonblank lines that don't begin with #, /* ,or // ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulsar2587
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just had a few questions

1) The lpr and sort utilities accept input either from a file named on the command line or from standard input. a)Name two other utilities that function in a similar manner. b)Name a utility that accepts its input only from standard input. 2) Explain the following error message. What... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: youngyou
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi questions

Hello, I would like to know how we can highlight/select a section of a file in vi and delete that section if we don't want to use the dd command to delete one line at at time. There is one where we don't want to delete the whole line , but up to a certain word. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies
EXECL(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  EXECL(3)

NAME
execl, execv, execle, execlp, execvp, exec, execve, exect, environ - execute a file SYNOPSIS
execl(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn; execv(name, argv) char *name, *argv[]; execle(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0, envp) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn, *envp[]; exect(name, argv, envp) char *name, *argv[], *envp[]; extern char **environ; DESCRIPTION
These routines provide various interfaces to the execve system call. Refer to execve(2) for a description of their properties; only brief descriptions are provided here. Exec in all its forms overlays the calling process with the named file, then transfers to the entry point of the core image of the file. There can be no return from a successful exec; the calling core image is lost. The name argument is a pointer to the name of the file to be executed. The pointers arg[0], arg[1] ... address null-terminated strings. Conventionally arg[0] is the name of the file. Two interfaces are available. execl is useful when a known file with known arguments is being called; the arguments to execl are the char- acter strings constituting the file and the arguments; the first argument is conventionally the same as the file name (or its last compo- nent). A 0 argument must end the argument list. The execv version is useful when the number of arguments is unknown in advance; the arguments to execv are the name of the file to be exe- cuted and a vector of strings containing the arguments. The last argument string must be followed by a 0 pointer. The exect version is used when the executed file is to be manipulated with ptrace(2). The program is forced to single step a single instruction giving the parent an opportunity to manipulate its state. On the VAX-11 this is done by setting the trace bit in the process status longword. Exect is not available on the PDP-11. When a C program is executed, it is called as follows: main(argc, argv, envp) int argc; char **argv, **envp; where argc is the argument count and argv is an array of character pointers to the arguments themselves. As indicated, argc is convention- ally at least one and the first member of the array points to a string containing the name of the file. Argv is directly usable in another execv because argv[argc] is 0. Envp is a pointer to an array of strings that constitute the environment of the process. Each string consists of a name, an "=", and a null-terminated value. The array of pointers is terminated by a null pointer. The shell sh(1) passes an environment entry for each global shell variable defined when the program is called. See environ(7) for some conventionally used names. The C run-time start-off routine places a copy of envp in the global cell environ, which is used by execv and execl to pass the environment to any subprograms executed by the current program. Execlp and execvp are called with the same arguments as execl and execv, but duplicate the shell's actions in searching for an executable file in a list of directories. The directory list is obtained from the environment. FILES
/bin/sh shell, invoked if command file found by execlp or execvp SEE ALSO
execve(2), fork(2), environ(7), csh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If the file cannot be found, if it is not executable, if it does not start with a valid magic number (see a.out(5)), if maximum memory is exceeded, or if the arguments require too much space, a return constitutes the diagnostic; the return value is -1. Even for the super- user, at least one of the execute-permission bits must be set for a file to be executed. BUGS
If execvp is called to execute a file that turns out to be a shell command file, and if it is impossible to execute the shell, the values of argv[0] and argv[-1] will be modified before return. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution August 4, 1987 EXECL(3)