Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to write shell scrit which adds parameters to existing files Post 302258824 by Franklin52 on Sunday 16th of November 2008 07:28:15 AM
Old 11-16-2008
You can't redirect the line to a selection of files this way. Loop through the files like this:

Code:
for file in /opt/avaya/pds/amit/*.fdict; do
  echo "CURPHONER:2:N:Phone used to call a record on which a recall is set" >> $"file"
done

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script that adds two integers and display answer on screen

please help shell script that adds two intergers and display answer on screen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wanyac2
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write new line at the beginning of an existing file

I was trying to find out the easiest way to write new line to the beginning of an exisiting file. I am using KSH. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailussr
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove old files and write to a log file

Hi, I have a script that works on a unix box but am trying to get it working on a linux box that uses shell. I am not a programmer so this is proving harder than I imagined. I made some changes and ended up with the script below but when I run it I get the following messages. Any help would be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yabai
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a shell script for write files with 2 parameters

Hello, I'm a newbie in shell script. So, i would like to create a shell script which take 2 IN parameters (PARAM1 and PARAM2). This script need to create 2 files as : I need to create this file /etc/apache2/sites-available/PARAM2 : <VirtualHost *:80> DocumentRoot "/home/PARAM1/www"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatlumo
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a shell script to display files in single path?

Hello friends, I am a script which dispalys a multiple files with their contents. for exm: suppose two file test1.txt and test2.txt. when I run my script it have to display the below O/P. test1.txt -rw-r----- 1 sranga staff 91 Sep 23 02:18 calc.sh -rw-r----- 1 sranga ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write a script for existing of IP_add in the files under paticular paths.

Hello , I want to write a script to test the IP_add is hardcoded in the paticular files. the files are available in path . for example. /abs/abn/jkg/frames.sh. like this some files are there in the same path.I manually replaced the IP_ADD with domain name in required files.now i have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script compare all parameters in two files and display results

Hi , I am not familiar with shell programming. I have a requirement like i have two files .I need to compare the two files by comparing each parameter and i should produce 2 outputs. 1)i have around 35 parameters say i have one parameter name called db_name=dcap in one file and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

my shell now adds extra space at end of each line!

Hi, Since today, with csh or tcsh, if I do 'ls files* > list', every lines end with an extra space! What happenned? What can I do to go back when there was no extra space? If I change to bash, there's no extra space. Thanks, Patrick ---------- Post updated at 03:19 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trogne
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write data into existing '.xlsx' file that has multiple sheets

Hello, I have a .xlsx file with 11 worksheets and I need to insert the contents of a text file (tab delim, roughly 30 columns with 1000 rows) from Row 3 onwards on the 2nd sheet. I have my code which can insert values into existing sheet but I am unable to write/import the contents of a text... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write data into existing '.xlsx' file that has multiple sheets

Hello, I have a .xlsx file with 11 worksheets and I need to insert the contents of a text file (tab delim, roughly 30 columns with 1000 rows) from Row 3 onwards on the 2nd sheet. I have my code which can insert values into existing sheet but I am unable to write/import the contents of a text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nans
1 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)