Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash equivalent of perl's pack function ? Post 302258569 by jim mcnamara on Friday 14th of November 2008 10:23:26 PM
Old 11-14-2008
There is no pack function, but you can:
Code:
# an array
newvar="${array[*]}"
# some variables
newvar="$a $var2 $somevarname"

Is this what you need?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl + pack() + spaceing question

ok guys and gals at the moment i am perplexed (prolly cuz i been looking at it to long) but here it is. OS: sol8 perlver: 5.8.0 shell: ksh answer must be in perl!! issue: when i use pack() it packs the data at the front of the requested field space. normally it wouldnt be a problem if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl help!! (pack()?)

Hello everyone. I wrote a perl script to get the two answers from a value: x. By this, I want to do sqrt($x) in different precision. #!/usr/bin/perl print "Input the initial value x:\n"; chomp($x=<STDIN>); $comp=sqrt($x); $float_value=pack("f", $comp); $double_value=pack("d", $comp);... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Euler04
2 Replies

3. Programming

equivalent function for wherey( ) ??

what is the equivalent function for wherey( ) ?? That is to return the current column position? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockgal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl-like split function for bash?

Hi! I'm doing bash shell scripting and would like to know if bash had something similar to perl's split function? Ultimately, I want to split two strings (delimeter = '.') and compare each of their values. Thus, I figured putting them in an array would be easiest. So i.e.: String 1:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eur0dad
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl pack and unpack commands

I have a file that contains user id and corresponding password. Lets say password is "help". The below command will create a hex value for string "help". perl -e 'print unpack "H*","help"' So now password is in encoded format. Then I decoded it in the script where am fetching the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: max_payne1234
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoke Perl function from Bash ?

Is it possible to invoke a perl function from a bash script ? There are existing perl scripts with many functions that I want to reuse from a more recent script written in bash. Hence the question. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NewDeb
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression matching in BASH (equivalent of =~ in Perl)

In Perl I can write a condition that evaluates a match expression like this: if ($foo =~ /^bar/) { do blah blah blah } How do I write this in shell? What I need to know is what operator do I use? The '=~' doesn't seem to fit. I've tried different operators, I browsed the man page for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiana_tas
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl pack and unpack commands

I am using pack/unpack to encyrpt a file. syntax is below #!/bin/sh encrypt=`perl -e 'print unpack "H*","yourpassword"'` - echo $encrypt >/file/to/store/encrypted/password pass=`cat /file/to/store/encrypted/password` decrypt=`perl -e 'print pack "H*",$pass'` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erinlomo
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pack and unpack localtime in perl script

Hi I have a code like this: sub WriteEbcdicHeader { my $Htimestamp=localtime();#i need to pack and unpack this my $eheaderline = $Htimestamp; #packing has to be done here #unpacking has to be done after packing print $EOUTFILE return $eheaderline; } sub WriteEbcdicTrailer { ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbathena
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Equivalent to Perl's and Bash's "=~" Operator?

Hello All, Alright, so this is driving me absolutely insane. I can't seem to find this ANYWHERE... I've tried every combination and synonym I can think of for this trying to search Google. What is the Expect/Tcl equivalent to Perl and Bash's "=~" operator, (i.e. the "contains" operator).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux