Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Question about the system() function in C Post 302258448 by Corona688 on Friday 14th of November 2008 03:15:10 PM
Old 11-14-2008
If the maximum size is even a concern, then you're passing too many arguments. Smilie On my system it is 64K but could be far less in other places. Could this data be passed through a pipe instead, or be split across multiple system() calls?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

system() function call...

Hi, Though I should check this myself.. but I don't have a cc compiler at this time.. :( When I compile a c program containing say system(myshell.sh).. do the executable require that the actual script myshell.sh to be present whenever it executes? I guess it needs.. otherwise I can just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

2. Programming

system function in c

Hai Friends I have used the function system() to execute a command. My requirement is that i have to list the files in a directory applying some wildcard paterns. For example if i want to list *.c files i go with the function system("ls *.c"); and the output gets printed on the monitor.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: collins
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND function - system wide

Hi, I have a task to search for a file called 'Xstartup' in the whole system because there might be different versions of it which overrite eachother. Can anyone suggest a smart command to run this search ? The machine needs to scan every single folder beginning from root. Please help, I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System() function in <stdlib.h>

Hi, guys ,, I want to know the implementation of System() function in C Unix, and its prototype definition: int system(const char * string) in the header file <stdlib.h> ??! please help me ! because that is part of my project !! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: someone33
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell function, system, awk

Hi all, I am calling a shell function within awk using system. I am struggling to get my expected output: #!/bin/sh set -o nounset BEG=44 END=55 shfun() { echo "1|2|3" } export -f shfun typeset -F > /dev/null awk 'BEGIN {OFS="|"; print "'"$BEG"'",system( "shfun"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use ${?} and system() function???

Hi All, I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode' commands for the same and those worked fine. Please find below the same. X " ( cat /sastemp/body.txt; uuencode test.xls test.xls ) | mailx -s 'testing'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas6
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use system function in awk

Could any one tell me how to use the system function in awk? I want to use it to print the system date. I have been trying like this : yes |head -1|awk '{ system("date")}' When I execute the above it always returns back to the prompt. Your help would be much appreciated. regards,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_ksv
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using system function in C

Hi Guys , I want to use system function in C to do the following work. cp <file1> <file2> and then ><file1> e,g cp \var\log\cpm_cpmd_1.log.1 \var\log\cpm_cpmd_1.log.2 and then >\var\log\cpm_cpmd_1.log.1 1. g_config_info.cpmm_config.cpm_log_path=\var\log\ 2. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet123321
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using SYSTEM function in NAWK

I am scanning a file (line by line) for format errors. A line could have multiple errors. Each field in the line is evaluated for errors and sent, along w/ any error messages, to a temporary file. Finally, if any errors were detected, this temporary file is then appended to the errorFile. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aschera
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

System function in awk

Hello Friends, I have written a script like below, I aimed to move some CDR files (call data record) whose the last field is "1" (NF=1 ) from a spesific directory to a new directory Field Seperator is pipe. If the directory does not exitst i should create it. I will give the script two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess communication channel SYNOPSIS
pipe(fildes) int fildes[2]; DESCRIPTION
The pipe system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe. The file descriptors returned can be used in read and write operations. When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1] up to 4096 bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended. A read using the descriptor fildes[0] will pick up the data. It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent fork calls) will pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes. Read calls on an empty pipe (no buffered data) with only one end (all write file descriptors closed) returns an end-of-file. Pipes are really a special case of the socketpair(2) call and, in fact, are implemented as such in the system. A signal is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted. RETURN VALUE
The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if an error occurred. ERRORS
The pipe call will fail if: [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [EFAULT] The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), fork(2), socketpair(2) BUGS
Should more than 4096 bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock will occur. 4th Berkeley Distribution August 26, 1985 PIPE(2)