Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove spaces before a delimiter Post 302258302 by bakunin on Friday 14th of November 2008 09:48:44 AM
Old 11-14-2008
Hi Sue,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRyan84
Thanks for that - Almost there but not quite!!

Unfortunately there is often more than one space before the '~' delimiter.
In this case this should solve all your problems:

Code:
sed 's/[<spc><tab>]*~/~/g'

Replace "<spc>" and "<tab>" with literal spaces and tab characters. It will remove any number of whitespace before a tilde ("~") character everywhere on the line.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove Trailing spaces after a delimiter

Hi, I am trying to remove trailing white spaces using this command in awk nawk -F '|' '/^TR/{t = $4 }/^LN/{gsub(/ */,"");printf "%s|%s\n", t, $0 }' $i>>catman_852_files.txt My delimiter is '|'. THere are some description fields which are being truncated. I dont want to remove spaces... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiran_418
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove delimiter from specific column?

I have 5 column in sample txt file where in i have to create report based upon 1,3 and 5 th column.. I have : in first and third coulmn. But I want to retain the colon of fifth coulmn and remove the colon of first column.. 5th column contains String message (for example,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace spaces/tabs with delimiter |

Hi, I'm looking for a command that replaces spaces/tabs with pipe symbol and store the result to the same file instead of routing it to another file. infile outfile Thanks. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove delimiter

hy all, i need case with input like this 1::||10334|11751| 2::10324|17541||| i want output like this 1::||1033411751| 2::1032417541||| how i can do that for get like output thx before your advice (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LINUX - How to remove the final delimiter from a command output

Hi All, I am trying to list the various dates for which the file is available in a directory using the command below, (& subsequently pass the command output to a loop) Command : ls dir|grep 'filename'|cut -d '_' -f1|cut -c1-8|tr '\n' ',' However, it is giving me an extra comma... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove text in particular delimiter

I have input file like this 551|552|553|554|555|556|557|558|559|560 I need any one offset need to be blank for eg. 551|552|553||555|556|557|558|559|560 My Shell is csh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsuresh316
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove Extra Delimiter

Hi , I have file like this.. aaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|fff|dsaaFFDFD| Adsads|sas|sa|as|asa|saddas|dsasd|sdad| dsas|dss|sss|sss|ddd|dssd|rrr|fddf| www|fff|refd|dads|fsdf|00sd| 5fgdg|dfs00|d55f|sfds55|445fsd|55ds|sdf| so I do no have any fix pattern and I want to remove extra... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajchaudhari
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove the delimiter from the column value within a file?

Hello All, we have some 10 files wherein we are using the ASCII NULL as separator which is nothing but '^@' and we need to change it to pipe delimited file before loading to database. Most of the data seems to be fine but there are instances where this separator tends to appear in the middle of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove whitespaces between delimiter and characters

Hello All, I have a pipe delimited file and below is a sample data how it looks: CS123 | | || 5897 | QXCYN87876 As stated above, the delimited files contains sometimes only spaces as data fields and sometimes there are extra spaces before/after numeric/character data fields. My requirement... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates separated by delimiter

First post, been browsing for 3 days and came out with nothing so far. M3 C2 V5 D5 HH:FF A1-A2,A5-A6,A1-A2,A1-4 B4-B6,B2-B4,B4-B6,B1-B2output should be M3 C2 V5 D5 HH:FF A1-A2,A5-A6,A1-A4 B2-B4,B4-B6,B1-B2On col 6 and 7 there are strings in form of Ax-Ax and Bx-Bx respectively. Each string are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: enrikS
9 Replies
csv(n)								  CSV processing							    csv(n)

NAME
csv - Procedures to handle CSV data. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.3 package require csv ?0.3? ::csv::join values {sepChar ,} ::csv::joinlist values {sepChar ,} ::csv::read2matrix chan m {sepChar ,} {expand none} ::csv::read2queue chan q {sepChar ,} ::csv::report cmd matrix ?chan? ::csv::split line {sepChar ,} ::csv::split2matrix m line {sepChar ,} {expand none} ::csv::split2queue q line {sepChar ,} ::csv::writematrix m chan {sepChar ,} ::csv::writequeue q chan {sepChar ,} DESCRIPTION
The csv package provides commands to manipulate information in CSV FORMAT (CSV = Comma Separated Values). COMMANDS
The following commands are available: ::csv::join values {sepChar ,} Takes a list of values and returns a string in CSV format containing these values. The separator character can be defined by the caller, but this is optional. The default is ",". ::csv::joinlist values {sepChar ,} Takes a list of lists of values and returns a string in CSV format containing these values. The separator character can be defined by the caller, but this is optional. The default is ",". Each element of the outer list is considered a record, these are separated by newlines in the result. The elements of each record are formatted as usual (via ::csv::join). ::csv::read2matrix chan m {sepChar ,} {expand none} A wrapper around ::csv::split2matrix (see below) reading CSV-formatted lines from the specified channel (until EOF) and adding them to the given matrix. For an explanation of the expand argument see ::csv::split2matrix. ::csv::read2queue chan q {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::split2queue (see below) reading CSV-formatted lines from the specified channel (until EOF) and adding them to the given queue. ::csv::report cmd matrix ?chan? A report command which can be used by the matrix methods format 2string and format 2chan. For the latter this command delegates the work to ::csv::writematrix. cmd is expected to be either printmatrix or printmatrix2channel. The channel argument, chan, has to be present for the latter and must not be present for the first. ::csv::split line {sepChar ,} converts a line in CSV format into a list of the values contained in the line. The character used to separate the values from each other can be defined by the caller, via sepChar, but this is optional. The default is ",". ::csv::split2matrix m line {sepChar ,} {expand none} The same as ::csv::split, but appends the resulting list as a new row to the matrix m, using the method add row. The expansion mode specified via expand determines how the command handles a matrix with less columns than contained in line. The allowed modes are: none This is the default mode. In this mode it is the responsibility of the caller to ensure that the matrix has enough columns to contain the full line. If there are not enough columns the list of values is silently truncated at the end to fit. empty In this mode the command expands an empty matrix to hold all columns of the specified line, but goes no further. The overall effect is that the first of a series of lines determines the number of columns in the matrix and all following lines are truncated to that size, as if mode none was set. auto In this mode the command expands the matrix as needed to hold all columns contained in line. The overall effect is that after adding a series of lines the matrix will have enough columns to hold all columns of the longest line encountered so far. ::csv::split2queue q line {sepChar ,} The same as ::csv::split, but appending the resulting list as a single item to the queue q, using the method put. ::csv::writematrix m chan {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::join taking all rows in the matrix m and writing them CSV formatted into the channel chan. ::csv::writequeue q chan {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::join taking all items in the queue q (assumes that they are lists) and writing them CSV formatted into the channel chan. FORMAT
Each record of a csv file (comma-separated values, as exported e.g. by Excel) is a set of ASCII values separated by ",". For other lan- guages it may be ";" however, although this is not important for this case (The functions provided here allow any separator character). If a value contains itself the separator ",", then it (the value) is put between "". If a value contains ", it is replaced by "". EXAMPLE
The record 123,"123,521.2","Mary says ""Hello, I am Mary""" is parsed as follows: a) 123 b) 123,521.2 c) Mary says "Hello, I am Mary" SEE ALSO
matrix, queue KEYWORDS
csv, matrix, queue, package, tcllib csv 0.3 csv(n)