Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Distinct search usisng GREP cmd Post 302258195 by sriharsha_kvr on Friday 14th of November 2008 02:39:11 AM
Old 11-14-2008
Sorry....The below code will not work as per the requirement Smilie

Try using -w option with grep. If you want the search to be extended in multiple files, try the following command

find . 2>/dev/null | xargs grep -w "string" 2>/dev/null

Last edited by sriharsha_kvr; 11-14-2008 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: Requirement wrongly understood

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a cmd to search starting word

example - shsk mss-sdsd-asd i need a command which will search for staring word not others it should search only -shsk cat filename | grep '-' will search whole '-' in the file but i need to search only staring '-' thank u revenna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revenna
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep distinct values

this is a little more complex than that. I have a text file and I need to find all the distinct words that appear in a line after the word TABLESPACE when I grep for just the word tablespace, I get: how do i parse this a little better so i have a smaller file to read? This is just an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search distinct files

Hello , Can anyone help me with my below query I am trying to find a text in directory of files via below command grep -i cmps_cgs_crs_rfnc_id * But it returns multiple times same file name i.e if the text found in a file 4 times the file name shown 4 times in the o/p Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep distinct

Hello, I have a file which looks like: %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(7)*************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(70)************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(71)************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(72)************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(8)*************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(9)*************% %_SPE_FLUXPREV_PRES1_MT_HT(2)****%... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a single "find" cmd to search for multiple file types and output individual files

Hi All, I am new here but I have a scripting question that I can't seem to figure out with the "find" cmd. What I am trying to do is to only have to run a single find cmd parsing the directories and output the different file types to induvidual files and I have been running into problems.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swaters
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search distinct special char in file

hi, i need to search distinct special character from a file which is a pipe delimited from a specific column for eg: input file.txt aa|bb|cc|$abc aa|bb|ccc|#abol bb|xss|ddd|$xyz nn|yyy|qqq|=qqqq abe|qqq|yyy|=aaa aaa|yyy|zzzz|#aaaa . . . my desired output $ (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cmd="grep 'Name:' |awk -F' ' '{print $2}'"

Hi Is it possible to get the below code working.? cmd="grep 'Name:' |awk -F' ' '{print $2}'|xargs -i basename {}" echo $cmd ( rman target / <<EOF1 LIST COPY ; exit EOF1 ) | `$cmd` in nutshell I want to be able to preset cmd as depending on script flow it can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)