Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get a list of group members? Post 302258112 by Annihilannic on Thursday 13th of November 2008 11:02:06 PM
Old 11-14-2008
Here's a script (I call it lsgroup) that should do the trick:

Code:
awk -F: -v group=$1 '
        NR==FNR && $1==group {
                gid=$3
                for (i=1; i<=split($4,a,","); i++) print a[i]
                next
        }
        NR!=FNR && $4==gid { print $1 }
' /etc/group /etc/passwd | sort -u

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing members of a unix group

I know there is a "groups" command to list the groups a user belongs to, but how about the opposite? Is there a standard command to find out which users belong to a particular group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ovaska
2 Replies

2. Solaris

make issue when I add some members into a NIS group on solaris 9,please help !!

Hello Sir, I want to add some members into a group on NIS domain, but when I run "/usr/ccs/bin/make group" to update the group map it was failed :-( the error message is : problem storing develop... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lk74612
4 Replies

3. Programming

allowing members of a group to kill a process

I've written a python program where I want to allow members of a specific group the ability to kill it, and I'm not sure how to do it. I've been looking at the setuid() and setgid() and similar functions in the os module, but haven't been able to get them to work. I can't seem to change the uid or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vastcharade
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to allow group members to kill process?

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow group members to be able to kill processes created by other member at the same group? I need your help as soon as possible Thanks for your help in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
4 Replies

5. Linux

members in a group

Hi all, I am new to Linux.Can anyone tell me how to display or list all the members in a group? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
9 Replies

6. Solaris

How to list group members in solaris 9

Hi, I already gone through with old post regarding listing the group members and tried the command getenv group other the result is other::1:root i listed my part of the /etc/passwd file below test1:x:100:1::/home/test1:/bin/sh test2:x:101:1::/home/test2:/bin/ksh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setfacl and granting permissions to a group and its members on a directory

Hi! I created a group HACKERS and made the user "demo" its member. $ id demo uid=500(demo) gid=500(demo) groups=500(demo),502(HACKERS) $ Next, I granted read and execute permissions to the group "HACKERS" on /var/log/httpd as shown below: setfacl -m "g:HACKERS:r-x"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies
groupadd(1M)															      groupadd(1M)

NAME
groupadd - add a new group to the system SYNOPSIS
gid group DESCRIPTION
The command creates a new group on the system by adding the appropriate entry to the file. The command must be used with the group argu- ment, which is the name of the new group. The name consists of a string of printable characters that may not include a colon or newline Refer to usergroupname(5) to understand the functionality changes with the Numeric User Group Name feature. Options The command uses the following options: Specify the group ID for the new group. gid must be a non-negative decimal integer less than as defined in the header file. By default the next available unique group ID in the valid range is allocated. Group IDs in the range 0-99 are reserved. Allow the gid to be non-unique (that is, a duplicate). NIS The command is aware of NIS user entries. Only local groups may be added with this command. Attempts to add an NIS group will result in an error. NIS groups must be administered from the NIS server. If is used on a system where NIS is installed, it may fail with the error (return value 9) if the group specified is not present in the local file, but is an NIS group (see group(4)). NIS groups are also checked when verifying uniqueness of the new gid, which may result in the error (return value 4). RETURN VALUE
The command exits with one of the following values: No error. Invalid command syntax. Invalid argument supplied to an option. gid is not unique (when is not used). group is not unique. Cannot modify the file. file or file busy. Another command may be modifying the file. Unable to open file or file is non-existent. EXAMPLES
Add the group to the file. Add the group to the file with the group ID as long as no group currently exists with a group ID of WARNINGS
Because many users may try to write the file simultaneously, a password locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. FILES
SEE ALSO
users(1), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), group(4), usergroupname(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
groupadd(1M)