Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting concatenating the filenames in a directory Post 302257139 by joeyg on Tuesday 11th of November 2008 12:40:01 PM
Old 11-11-2008
Tools Could you approach this like:

pattern="xyz"
ls | grep "$pattern" > file_out.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames in a directory

I have a directory of files and each file has a random 5 digit string at the beginning that needs to be removed. Plus, there are some files that will be identically named after the 5 digit string is removed and I want those eliminated or moved. any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumb
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use filenames to create directory.

I have many files similar to this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. I want a directory named AC41 and to put the file AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf into the directory. Next, a directory named AC85 and put the file into it. Also, continue to cycle through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filenames from a directory in single line

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to get the all file names present in a particular directory in to a single separated by space, I have files in /home/RAAM/work directory as test1.xls test2.xls test3.xls I need to get all filenames from that directory in single line like ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating similar files in a directory

Hi, I am new in unix. I have below requirement: I have two files at the same directory location File1.txt and File2.txt (just an example, real scenario we might have File2 and File3 OR File6 and File7....) File1.txt has : header1 record1 trailer1 File2.txt has: header2 record2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak62828r
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get filenames in a directory and write them in to a file?

I need to get the names of files which are starting with a string testfile. Also i want to create a XML file in the same location and write these file names into the XML. Ex: <path> <dir> <file>testfile1</file> </dir> <dir> <file>testfile2</file> </dir>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating contents of a file with members in a directory

Hi, I have a unix file with the below structure - CustId1 CustName1 CustPhn1 /u/home/xmldata/A000001 CustId2 CustName2 CustPhn2 /u/home/xmldata/A000002 CustId3 CustName3 CustPhn3 /u/home/xmldata/A000003 Then I have another unix directory /u/home/xmldata This directory has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simanto
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take the filenames from a directory and store into a file??

hi, how can i take the file names from a directory and store only the filenames in the file. suppose i have a directory which contains the following files and subdirectories. $ ls -ltr total 16 -rw-rw-r-- 1 adm etc 4 Aug 6 20:37 s1.txt -rw-rw-r-- 1 adm etc 4 Aug 6 20:37 s2.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing filenames in my current directory

Can someone give me a tip on writing a script that, for each file in the working directory, prints the filename, the # of lines, and the # of words to stdout? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flash123
2 Replies
tiffsplit(1)							   User Commands						      tiffsplit(1)

NAME
tiffsplit - split a multi-image TIFF into single-image TIFF files SYNOPSIS
tiffsplit src.tif [prefix] DESCRIPTION
tiffsplit splits a multi-directory (page) TIFF file to create one or more single-directory (page) TIFF files. The output filenames are cre- ated by concatenating a prefix, a lexically ordered suffix in the range [aa-zz], and the suffix .tif. For example, xaa.tif, xab.tif, ..., xzz.tif. If a prefix is not specified on the command line, the default prefix x is used. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: src.tif The name of the input file. prefix The prefix used to create the output filenames. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWTiff | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
tiffinfo(1), tiffcp(1), libtiff(3) NOTES
Only a select set of "known tags" is copied when splitting. Updated by Breda McColgan, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 26 Mar 2004 tiffsplit(1)