Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting dead simple bash script question Post 302256843 by Ikon on Monday 10th of November 2008 05:24:51 PM
Old 11-10-2008
Code:
echo "Choose: 1,2,3,Q"

while read -n 1 yourinput
do
echo
 case "$yourinput"
 in
 1)
  echo "you pressed 1"
  ;;
 2)
  echo "This time you pressed 2"
  ;;
 3)
  echo "You wanted 3"
  ;;
 Q)
  exit 0
  ;;
 *)
  echo "I have no idea"
  ;;
 esac

done

Last edited by Ikon; 11-10-2008 at 06:38 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Bash Script

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but as I am new to bash shell scripting I'm not sure what: Here's the code webalizer.conf is sitting in the same directory as this file which is named webalizer.sh. Can someone tell me if I've got the syntax right -- it that's correct? I'm executing the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xaphalanx
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bash script to ftp?

Hi all has anyone got a code snippet of how i can ftp a file automatically by running a simple bash script. I have 4 things IP address xx.xxx.xx.xx username=satnam domain = app.sample.ftp password= satnam_password Im not sure how to pull these all together to ftp a file? any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Bash Read File question

Hello all, I am trying to write a simple script that will parse through a text/properties file and check a couple of if statements. Here is what I have so far: FILENAME=$1 while read line do echo $line done < $FILENAME When I call ./simple.sh testfile.txt I recieve a file or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamagra
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH script?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm sounding ... daft. I currently work in a Tech Support role. Every day we have to generate data by running around 10 .sh scripts. I was thinking instead of having to ./filename 10 times is it possible to right a new script that will run these for... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bash script

I am writing a shell script in bash one of the thing I want to show is size of export /home du -sk /export/home/oracle | cut -c 1-5 echo "kbytes" when I run the script kbytes shows up in the second line, How can I append kbytes on the same line, such as 61233 kbytes please guide thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash question - 2 files together

Hello Friends, I have a simple problem but I can't seem to find a solution, perhaps you could gimme a hand here.. I have to files 1.txt which contains the following 00 01 02 03 and 2.txt which contains the following: 20 21 22 23 All I need is to concatenate these 2 files in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a simple bash script

to gather the cpu utilization from a system in 5 minute intervals and direct output to file. I'm new at scripting and while this seems like an easy task I'm confused on where to start. thanks for any help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkeyes001
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash script help

Hi to everyone here, I'm a new user and relatively-new linuxer. I'm trying to write a script that checks if every file from a directory is present in a given list and if not, delete it. should be simple. But I think I've done half the work only: this is to create the reference list: for c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dentex
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple bash script menu

Dear Sir, May I know how do I go about adding the following feature into the script below: When user enter values other than 1,2,3,4, a) Message “Wrong entry !!! Pls select 1,2,3 or 4” is displayed b) The screen is cleared again and the menu is displayed. #!/bin/bash clear var=1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusetrips
2 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)