Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using diff on files in different directories Post 302256208 by elduderino on Saturday 8th of November 2008 06:39:38 PM
Old 11-08-2008
oh right of course....just type the path of each of the two files in.

Is there a way to create a mechanism so I don't have to type the paths in everytime...say for instance i'm always comparing files in 2 specific directories is there a way i can create some sort of unix program to take care of the paths so i can just type the files in I want to compare.

As you may have guessed i'm a complete newb when it comes to unix so you'll have to forgive my ignorance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl package directories - what if the script is diff DIR to the one contain *.pm?

Hi there, say the package is in the ~/ and it's ~/packageFoo.pm I can use usePackage.pl in ~/ (~/usePackage.pl). Now, if I move it to ~/subDIR/usePackage.pl, the script won't work because it's not in the same DIR with packageFoo.pm How can i fix it? Thanks Gusla (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gusla
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perform diff between 2 directories

Hello all i wander what is the best way to make diff between 2 directories and perform diff of 2 kinds the first is the names of the files on each directory , and the second diff is between the content of each file and the corresponding file and the second dir. Thanks for the help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare/Diff between directories and subdirectories?

Hi, Does anybody know the cmd to compare two areas and print out the different files w/ path? I tried cmp and diff and dircmp but with no luck. Should I grep and print? For example: /aa/images/jan ..../images/feb /bb/images/jan ..../images/feb i want to print the compare,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylee80
5 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

CVS recursive diff -- how to exclude specific directories?

I think I've seen out there that there is a command to ignore specific files within a directory when doing a (-R) recursive diff. I've never used this so I was wondering if there was anyone who could provide an example how I would run this. My thoughts are something like: cvs diff -i <fileName1>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: airon23bball
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change chmod on files in diff directories

I am looking for a small script to crawl through several directories and change a couple of files in each directory to read write status. Anyone have any ideas ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparision of two directories of diff servers

Hi All, I have transferred some directory structures from server1 to server2 by creating a tar files. Now i need to cross check whether I transferred entire structures or not. Is there any command to check this on each individual server. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with create multiple directories under diff file systems

Hi, Need help ...I want to create multiple directories in different /file systems using for loop..eg.../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/ctl. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/data. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/redo. Script :- ========= for dir in `ls -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux6.5
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two directories with diff

Hi all, I have 2 directories on two different servers. I am trying to find out what is missing from directory X and what is missing from directory Y. they should both have the same exact files in them. I understand some files may be missing from both directories on each server. I am not sure... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
GIT-HASH-OBJECT(1)						    Git Manual							GIT-HASH-OBJECT(1)

NAME
git-hash-object - Compute object ID and optionally creates a blob from a file SYNOPSIS
git hash-object [-t <type>] [-w] [--path=<file>|--no-filters] [--stdin] [--] <file>... git hash-object [-t <type>] [-w] --stdin-paths [--no-filters] < <list-of-paths> DESCRIPTION
Computes the object ID value for an object with specified type with the contents of the named file (which can be outside of the work tree), and optionally writes the resulting object into the object database. Reports its object ID to its standard output. This is used by git cvsimport to update the index without modifying files in the work tree. When <type> is not specified, it defaults to "blob". OPTIONS
-t <type> Specify the type (default: "blob"). -w Actually write the object into the object database. --stdin Read the object from standard input instead of from a file. --stdin-paths Read file names from stdin instead of from the command-line. --path Hash object as it were located at the given path. The location of file does not directly influence on the hash value, but path is used to determine what Git filters should be applied to the object before it can be placed to the object database, and, as result of applying filters, the actual blob put into the object database may differ from the given file. This option is mainly useful for hashing temporary files located outside of the working directory or files read from stdin. --no-filters Hash the contents as is, ignoring any input filter that would have been chosen by the attributes mechanism, including the end-of-line conversion. If the file is read from standard input then this is always implied, unless the --path option is given. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-HASH-OBJECT(1)