Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers inserting a text after a certain word in text files Post 302256188 by rubin on Saturday 8th of November 2008 01:14:19 PM
Old 11-08-2008
The OP hasn't posted a sample, so I'm assuming he wants to write files in place.

Code:
for file in html_files*
 do 
   awk '/<head>/{ print; system("cat tagfav.txt"); next }1' $file > $file.tmp && mv $file.tmp $file
 done

If you need to preserve the original files remove the colored portion of the code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text and modifying the file

I am in a dire need of doing this job , please help from shell script or perl script. It will be highly appreciated. Please have a look at the following INPUT file; The first 14 rows are not of interest but I want them to be included in the output file as they are. From the row 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Inserting text

Hey, I have 10 lines of text ... And I would like to Insert prefix for each line with static text. perl -pi -e 's/()/$1 TEST$./' data.txt Each line will have different static prefix, Code above works perfectly for 1st line ... I'm just not sure how I can run same command for 2nd line 3rd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NDxiak
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text with SED

Hi guys, I need to insert @test.com after each entry in my .txt file. 1 2 3 4 1@test.com 2@test.com 3@test.com 4@test.com Tried to use cat test.txt |sed 's/$/@test.com/'but it does this instead: 1 @test.com 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirm8
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find text in files without using the word itself but the assigned variable of it

I'm having a problem how to find the specific word in a file without using the word itself as a search but using the assigned variable which is the $passwd.. what command should I use to find the value of $passwd written in different script? how do I use the command to print the value in this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Separate text files in a folder by word count

Hi, been searching Google for like an hour and I doubt I got the right keywords so might as well ask here. What I need: Before: Article1.txt 564 Article2.txt 799 Article3.txt 349 Article4.txt 452 * Separate files over 400 wordcount * After: Article1.txt 564... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard2000
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text into a new file

Hi all, I want to create a file and then insert some text into it. I'm trying to create a .sh script that will create a new python file from a template. Can someone tell me why this won't work, touch $1 | sed -e '1i\Some test code here' Sorry I'm quite new to all this! Just as a side... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahodgson
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting some text if a field in the last column changes

Hi, I have a file which looks like this: A 01 00 B 02 00 C 04 00 D 00 01 E 01 01 F 02 01 G 01 04 H 02 04 I want to insert some text if the field if the last column changes. It should look like this: Value 00 A 01 00 B 02 00 C 04 00 Value 01 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed and inserting text from another file

I need to insert text from one file into another file after specific term. I guess sed is the best method of doing this and I can insert a specified text string using this script but I am not sure how to modify it to insert text from another file: #!/bin/sh sed 's/\<VirtualHost... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting information from old text file into a new text file

Hello, I'm trying to take information from a list of hundreds of subject ids (where each line is a new subject id), and insert each line into a new text file that contains the pathnames for each subject. To clarify, all subject have a similiar path name (e.g., C:\data\SUBJECT_ID\) that contains... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: invisibledwarf
4 Replies
pdftotext(1)						      General Commands Manual						      pdftotext(1)

NAME
pdftotext - Portable Document Format (PDF) to text converter (version 3.00) SYNOPSIS
pdftotext [options] [PDF-file [text-file]] DESCRIPTION
Pdftotext converts Portable Document Format (PDF) files to plain text. Pdftotext reads the PDF file, PDF-file, and writes a text file, text-file. If text-file is not specified, pdftotext converts file.pdf to file.txt. If text-file is '-', the text is sent to stdout. OPTIONS
-f number Specifies the first page to convert. -l number Specifies the last page to convert. -r number Specifies the resolution, in DPI. The default is 72 DPI. -x number Specifies the x-coordinate of the crop area top left corner -y number Specifies the y-coordinate of the crop area top left corner -W number Specifies the width of crop area in pixels (default is 0) -H number Specifies the height of crop area in pixels (default is 0) -layout Maintain (as best as possible) the original physical layout of the text. The default is to 'undo' physical layout (columns, hyphen- ation, etc.) and output the text in reading order. -raw Keep the text in content stream order. This is a hack which often "undoes" column formatting, etc. Use of raw mode is no longer recommended. -htmlmeta Generate a simple HTML file, including the meta information. This simply wraps the text in <pre> and </pre> and prepends the meta headers. -bbox Generate an XHTML file containing bounding box information for each word in the file. -enc encoding-name Sets the encoding to use for text output. This defaults to "UTF-8". -listenc Lits the available encodings -eol unix | dos | mac Sets the end-of-line convention to use for text output. -nopgbrk Don't insert page breaks (form feed characters) between pages. -opw password Specify the owner password for the PDF file. Providing this will bypass all security restrictions. -upw password Specify the user password for the PDF file. -q Don't print any messages or errors. -v Print copyright and version information. -h Print usage information. (-help and --help are equivalent.) BUGS
Some PDF files contain fonts whose encodings have been mangled beyond recognition. There is no way (short of OCR) to extract text from these files. EXIT CODES
The Xpdf tools use the following exit codes: 0 No error. 1 Error opening a PDF file. 2 Error opening an output file. 3 Error related to PDF permissions. 99 Other error. AUTHOR
The pdftotext software and documentation are copyright 1996-2004 Glyph & Cog, LLC. pdffonts(1), pdfimages(1), pdfinfo(1), pdftocairo(1), pdftohtml(1), pdftoppm(1), pdftops(1) 22 January 2004 pdftotext(1)