Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Anyone ever used qemu and networked it ? Post 302256078 by russian460 on Friday 7th of November 2008 09:49:09 PM
Old 11-07-2008
Anyone ever used qemu and networked it ?

hi i got a virtual linux machine running on qemu
my problem is connecting it to the internet
im a bit confused weather i have to make a virtual network card in qemu
and than tun tap it?
can anyone thats done it before help me out?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Can you set up a networked printer as a local print queue?

Fairly simple question, I think. Still trying to get my head around AIX print queues. Most of our problems seem to stem from print queues going down. This generates help-desk calls when users call up to get their queues started or to get rid of the emails that qdaemon sends them. Looking at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
0 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

QEMU not booting my image

hello all, I have been trying to boot an image (.IMG) using qemu, for quite some time now and i can't seem to get it to work. I've been able to boot from the Windows XP CD, the Debian iso image, etc, so I know qemu is configured properly and is working. But when it come to booting an image that I... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: neur0n
34 Replies

3. Programming

Qemu + gdb

Hi, I got: host machine: RedHat (RHEL6) virtual machine: RedHat (RHEL6) I run (on host machine): qemu-system-x86_64 ...... -S -s after that i run (on host machine): gdb target remote localhost:1234 set architecture i386:x86-64 and then i can use (on host machine) 'ctrl + c' to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Create a Bridge for Qemu using only loopback

hello networking folks, i have 3 virtual machines that need to talk to each other How can i create a bridge to loopback ? -net tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap1 where tap1 is connected to lo:1 , tap2 is connected to lo:2 etc thx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TwiceDone
0 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

QEMU performance?

Heyas So, i like doing custom a LiveImage of my OS. Using Redhats kickstart/livecd-creator method. Anyway, so i would like to test the liveimages... AND also, i WOULD like to install FreeBSD, Solaris, or whatever, onto a Virtual Machine. I used to use Oracles Virtualbox, but eversince... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

6. BSD

How to install Ultrix 4.2 on Qemu?

Hi Problem changed. I've got a message showing on the screen which says Guest has not initialized the display (yet) Any how I can fix this? Thanks Jack (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
4 Replies
TAP(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    TAP(4)

NAME
tap -- virtual Ethernet device SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device tap DESCRIPTION
The tap driver allows the creation and use of virtual Ethernet devices. Those interfaces appear just as any real Ethernet NIC to the kernel, but can also be accessed by userland through a character device node in order to read frames being sent by the system or to inject frames. In that respect it is very similar to what tun(4) provides, but the added Ethernet layer allows easy integration with machine emulators or virtual Ethernet networks through the use of bridge(4) with tunneling. INTERFACE CREATION Interfaces may be created in two different ways: using the ifconfig(8) create command with a specified device number, or its ioctl(2) equiva- lent, SIOCIFCREATE, or using the special cloning device /dev/tap. The former works the same as any other cloning network interface: the administrator can create and destroy interfaces at any time, notably at boot time. This is the easiest way of combining tap and bridge(4). Later, userland will actually access the interfaces through the specific device nodes /dev/tapN. The latter is aimed at applications that need a virtual Ethernet device for the duration of their execution. A new interface is created at the opening of /dev/tap, and is later destroyed when the last process using the file descriptor closes it. CHARACTER DEVICES Whether the tap devices are accessed through the special cloning device /dev/tap or through the specific devices /dev/tapN, the possible actions to control the matching interface are the same. When using /dev/tap though, as the interface is created on-the-fly, its name is not known immediately by the application. Therefore the TAPGIFNAME ioctl is provided. It should be the first action an application using the special cloning device will do. It takes a pointer to a struct ifreq as an argument. Ethernet frames sent out by the kernel on a tap interface can be obtained by the controlling application with read(2). It can also inject frames in the kernel with write(2). There is absolutely no validation of the content of the injected frame, it can be any data, of any length. One call of write(2) will inject a single frame in the kernel, as one call of read(2) will retrieve a single frame from the queue, to the extent of the provided buffer. If the buffer is not large enough, the frame will be truncated. tap character devices support the FIONREAD ioctl which returns the size of the next available frame, or 0 if there is no available frame in the queue. They also support non-blocking I/O through the FIONBIO ioctl. In that mode, EWOULDBLOCK is returned by read(2) when no data is available. Asynchronous I/O is supported through the FIOASYNC, FIOSETOWN, and FIOGETOWN ioctls. The first will enable SIGIO generation, while the two other configure the process group that will receive the signal when data is ready. Synchronisation may also be achieved through the use of select(2), poll(2), or kevent(2). ETHERNET ADDRESS When a tap device is created, it is assigned an Ethernet address of the form f2:0b:a4:xx:xx:xx. This address can later be changed using ifconfig(8) to add an active link layer address, or directly via the SIOCALIFADDR ioctl on a PF_LINK socket, as it is not available on the ioctl handler of the character device interface. FILES
/dev/tap cloning device /dev/tap[0-9]* individual character device nodes SEE ALSO
bridge(4), etherip(4), tun(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The tap driver first appeared in NetBSD 3.0. BSD
March 10, 2009 BSD