Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users GNU tar automatic gz detection/decompression Post 302255349 by otheus on Thursday 6th of November 2008 09:43:42 AM
Old 11-06-2008
At least in version 1.15, GNU tar works fine on bz2 files as well. By doing an ltrace on it, I infer that after reading in the file's header, tar pipes the file in from the appropriate decompression program.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gnu tar on Solaris 8

Here is how I got where I am: I tried untarring tomcat and at the end of the untar I get the following: So I downloaded GNU tar and did a pkgadd -d, which installed the package. But when I run /usr/local/bin/tar, I get this message: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

2. Solaris

GNU tar on SUN 9

I downloaded GNUtar from sunfreeware.con and installed it on a sparc running sun 9. Performed pkgadd -d on the required lib and tar file and everything seemed to be ok. I tried to extract a file from a tar created using the sun version with no success. Tar ran for several hours working on the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

automatic tar xf of file with unknown name

Hi all, With curl I can fetch a tar archive from a web server which contains a file ending with .scf which I am interested in. Unfortunately the file name may vary and the subdirectory inside the tar archive may change. I can manually browse the directory structure and extract the file and then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkrahn
3 Replies

4. Programming

Parallel Processing Detection and Program Return Value Detection

Hey, for the purpose of a research project I need to know if a specific type of parallel processing is being utilized by any user-run programs. Is there a way to detect whether a program either returns a value to another program at the end of execution, or just utilizes any form of parallel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azar.zorn
4 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

extraction of directory and below using gnu tar

i need to restore everything in a certain directory and lower. I have a tgz archive of all of the files, and i need to restore everything in /user/home/xxxx/ and below. this is a users home directory. this is a dumb question and i know when i see the answer i am going to say DUH, but i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
2 Replies

6. Solaris

ZCAT xxx.Z|tar -xvf - decompression slow ?

I have recently built a new server and patched Soalris 10 up tp latest bundle etc... When I run a decompress using the format zcat fred.Z |tar -xvf - it runs at a very slow rate. A similiar server which is less powerful runs over twice as quick. Is there any work arounds to configure decompress... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smcart
4 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Semi-Automatic Arduino Detection.

I am working on a semi-auto detection idea for Arduino for the Scope project. It does require a little user intervention but minimal. It works by just responding to two on screen prompts to unplug and plug Arduino into a USB port. There are two versions and both work perfectly well and give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies

8. AIX

GNU TAR vs NATIVE AIX TAR

Hello, Getting this very strange error, made tar/zip through gnu tar GNU Tar ( successful tar and zip without any errors ) /opt/freeware/bin/tar cvf - /oraapp| gzip > /backup/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz GNU unTar error root@test8:/>gunzip < /config1/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
BZNEW(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZNEW(1)

NAME
bznew - recompress .gz or .tgz files to .bz2 files SYNOPSIS
bznew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.gz ... ] DESCRIPTION
Bznew recompresses files from .gz (gzip) format to .bz2 (bzip2) format. If you want to recompress a file already in bzip2 format, rename the file to force a .bz2 extension then apply bznew. OPTIONS
-f Force recompression from .gz to .bz2 format even if a .bz2 file already exists. -t Tests the new files before deleting originals. -v Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed. -9 Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression). -P Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage. -K Keep a .gz file when it is smaller than the .bz2 file SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), gzip(1) BUGS
Bznew does not maintain the time stamp with the -P option if cpmod(1) is not available and touch(1) does not support the -r option. BZNEW(1)