Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How do I boost the Linux performace Post 302254850 by jayfriend on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 10:12:27 AM
Old 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
I will elaborate further on this later, just a few impressions on first glance:

Your system seems to have not enough RAM for what you are doing. The result is some heavy swapping going on. The vmstat output is somewhat different from the system i usually work on (AIX), but a few things never change:

Look at the first two columns, named "r" and "b". The "r" is the number of running processes at that time, "b" is the number of blocked processes. "blocked" means the process would be ready to run but has to wait for some reason. In a majority of cases this is because it was swapped out earlier and now is waiting until swapping it in has finished.

The depth of the blocked-queue should therefore ideally be a constant zero - everything else is alarming.

On the right part of the output the CPU activity is shown. "us" "sy" "id" "wa" are percent values and add up to 100. They show how much time the CPU has spent in user space, system routines, idling and waiting. In an ideal world the CPU would spent most of its time in us and sy, the rest would go to id and wa would be 0. Every time the wa value is bigger than 0 this means that the CPU has found nothing productive to do. Most of the times this is also a side effect of processes swapping in and out, because as long as the swapping goes on the CPU can do nothing but wait, save for the few system calls necessary for the swapping itself.

Ok, I'm in a bit of a hurry, later more.

bakunin
Thank you bakunin!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

XML parsing performace comparison with windows using sax

sorry wrong forum..i dont know how to delete this or how to move it to HP UX section... I tested SAX XML parsing using xerces(http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-j/). I tested on Windows XP and HP-UX . I found that parsing time on HP is 5 times that on Windows. My server startup reads a lot of XML... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh.sid
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun Studio 10 + Boost 1.36

Is it possible to build Boost 1.35 using Sun Studio 10? I can build Boost 1.35 using Sun Studio 11 successful. However, i'm unable to build it using Sun Studio 10 using the exact method. I really apprecaite if any expert can help on this. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shingpui
2 Replies

3. Solaris

boost thread not accessible to boost::move error

Hi All I am working unders Sun Solaris and I am not "/opt/boost/boost/thread/detail/thread.hpp", line 344: Error: boost::thread::thread(boost::thread&) is not accessible from boost::move(boost::detail::thread_move_t<boost::thread>). Do you know if there are other solutions other than... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Performace and Tools

I always had helpful replies from this site when ever I have posted a question. My current problem is that I am trying to read a book titled "Solaris(TM) Performance and Tools: DTrace and MDB Techniques for Solaris 10" and I am frustrated because inspite of the fact that it is a good book I just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

5. Programming

Boost C++ ASIO Networking

Hi, Based on the following example in the Boost C++ website: www. boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/doc/html/boost_asio/example/echo/async_tcp_echo_server.cpp]doc/html/boost_asio/example/echo/async_tcp_echo_server.cpp I tried to create a similar TCP server that waits to accept a client connection... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanlccc
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I declare boost?

Hello all, I am trying to "make" a database system, VDB (Veritas Data Base), and when I run "make" I receive the following error: VDBException.h:19: error: expected `)' before '*' token VDBException.h:20: error: expected `)' before '*' token VDBException.h:43: error: expected `)' before '*'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
4 Replies

7. Programming

Boost.Test and CMake

Hi, I just started using CMake and the Boost Libraries. In this progress I encountered some problems. One of these problems is combining Boost unit tests with cmake. I don't know how to set the whole project up. I tried to set up a simple test project. This contains a main.cpp a comp.cpp and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCoyote
0 Replies

8. Programming

Using boost in program created by g++

I am trying to use the split provided by boost. I have a string and want to split on "/". string value = "trig/4"; Have no idea how to compile and link it. I have extracted boost in /chrisd/tomso-12.04/source/library/boost_1_52_0 In my program /raytrac.cc I have put ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies
UPTIME(1)							Linux User's Manual							 UPTIME(1)

NAME
uptime - Tell how long the system has been running. SYNOPSIS
uptime uptime [-V] DESCRIPTION
uptime gives a one line display of the following information. The current time, how long the system has been running, how many users are currently logged on, and the system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. This is the same information contained in the header line displayed by w(1). System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken over the three time intervals. Load averages are not normalized for the number of CPUs in a system, so a load average of 1 means a single CPU system is loaded all the time while on a 4 CPU system it means it was idle 75% of the time. FILES
/var/run/utmp information about who is currently logged on /proc process information AUTHORS
uptime was written by Larry Greenfield <greenfie@gauss.rutgers.edu> and Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@sunsite.unc.edu>. Please send bug reports to <albert@users.sf.net> SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), utmp(5), w(1) Cohesive Systems 26 Jan 1993 UPTIME(1)