Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Interesting TCL behavior: 007 == 7 is true; 008==8 is false. Post 302254250 by sarwan on Tuesday 4th of November 2008 01:59:25 AM
Old 11-04-2008
Interesting TCL behavior: 007 == 7 is true; 008==8 is false.

Hi all,
If anyone has the explanation for the following issue, please share it with me.

I am comparing two variable a and b with the values of 007 and 7, for these values it get evaluated as True. For a=008 and b=8, for these values it get evaluated as false.

#!/bin/tclsh
set a 007
set b 7
if { $a == $b } {
puts "$a equals to $b"
} else {
puts "$a not equals to $b"
}
set a 008
set b 8
if { $a == $b } {
puts "$a equals to $b"
} else {
puts "$a not equals to $b"
}

Output:
007 equals to 7
008 not equals to 8

In Fact a = (001,002,...007) and b= (1,2,...7) it get evaluated as True and becomes false for a > 007 and b > 7.

Thanks
Sarwan

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Interesting SMITTY behavior

I have a couple systems that are acting strangely. In 'smitty tcpip' everything is displayed twice. Even going into the submenus (like minimum configuration and startup) everything is displayed twice. Has anyone seen this? Know how to fix it? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmmill2
3 Replies

2. Solaris

True or false ? - Sun cluster 3.2 U3 questions...

I'm using clustered zones on my machine. i'm only at the test phase of my design and ultimately the oracle zones will be using VxVM. When the testing phase is complete, VxVM will be used in the containers. It is necessary for VxVM to run in the global zone for the containers to use it (is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script: Str(007) to int(7),increment it(8) & convert back to string(008)

Hi, I have the following requirement. There will be following text/line in a file (eg: search-build.txt) PRODUCT_VERSION="V:01.002.007.Build1234" I need to update the incremental build number (eg here 007) every time I give a build through script. I am able to search the string and get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drwatson_droid
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output checker setting variable to TRUE or FALSE

Hi All, I'm trying to come up a way to check the output of some data i have. I need to be able to check for the order of the output and if its correct set a variable to false if it isnt. Currently the data is in the below format, this is the value which should cause the variable be set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
4 Replies
IS_STRING(3)								 1							      IS_STRING(3)

is_string - Find whether the type of a variable is string

SYNOPSIS
bool is_string (mixed $var) DESCRIPTION
Finds whether the type given variable is string. PARAMETERS
o $var - The variable being evaluated. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if $var is of type string, FALSE otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example #1 is_string(3) example <?php $values = array(false, true, null, 'abc', '23', 23, '23.5', 23.5, '', ' ', '0', 0); foreach ($values as $value) { echo "is_string("; var_export($value); echo ") = "; echo var_dump(is_string($value)); } ?> The above example will output: is_string(false) = bool(false) is_string(true) = bool(false) is_string(NULL) = bool(false) is_string('abc') = bool(true) is_string('23') = bool(true) is_string(23) = bool(false) is_string('23.5') = bool(true) is_string(23.5) = bool(false) is_string('') = bool(true) is_string(' ') = bool(true) is_string('0') = bool(true) is_string(0) = bool(false) SEE ALSO
is_float(3), is_int(3), is_bool(3), is_object(3), is_array(3). PHP Documentation Group IS_STRING(3)