Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: check line by line in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check line by line in a file Post 302254224 by danmero on Monday 3rd of November 2008 11:24:08 PM
Old 11-04-2008
Code:
# bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (i386-portbld-freebsd6.4)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

# cat file
a a
b c
d d d
1 a
# while read a b;do [ $a == "$b" ] && echo TRUE >> r.txt || echo FALSE >> r.txt; done < file
# cat r.txt
TRUE
FALSE
FALSE
FALSE
#

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check line in a file

Hi all, How do we check in a file whether a line started with KEYWORD2 is right after the line started with KEYWORD1 for example, this file content: Abcdef gsh iasdi 94945 9085095 lksdjlkj KEYWORD1 skljfi slakjfoi ' opiport sdfl KEYWORD2 ksjflsk jfasope jkdfsk393 89374982 23 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read last line of file to check for value

Folks How best to read the last line of a file, to check for a particular value? This is the last line of my file...... 00000870000002000008 0000000020000 ......I need to check that this line contains '70' in positions 7 and 8, before I continue processing. Regards ... Dave (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check if a new line has been added to a file?

Have come up with the following but it doesn't seem to work.. Is there some other command i could use to get this to work? OUTPATH=/home/out PARMFILE=$OUTPATH/jobcount_test.txt LOG=$OUTPATH/job_count_monthlymail_log.txt HLOG=$OUTPATH/job_count_monthlymail_hlog.txt # echo " started at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how do you parse 1 line at a time of file1 ie. line(n) each line into new file

File 1 <html>ta da....unique file name I want to give file=>343...</html> <html>da ta 234 </html> <html>pa da 542 </html> and so on... File 2 343 234 542 and so on, each line in File 1 one also corresponds with each line in File 2 I have tried several grep, sed, while .. read, do,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: web_developer
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a character at last line of the file?

this is the csv file. i want to check the last line contains the character N. Record Type#Batch Job ID#Batch Number#FileCreation Date#FileCreation Time#Production/Test Fileindicator#File Character H#0002#0002#20100218#17.25#P#barani Record Type#A#B#C#D#E#F#G#H#J#K#L... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barani75
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/grep: check if line exists, if not add line?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the following as I want to use multiple commands to search thousands of files. is there a way to speed things up? Example I want to search a bunch of files for a specific line, if this line already exists do nothing, if it doesn't exist add it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
4 Replies
MIN(3)									 1								    MIN(3)

min - Find lowest value

SYNOPSIS
mixed min (array $values) DESCRIPTION
mixed min (mixed $value1, mixed $value2, [mixed $...]) If the first and only parameter is an array, min(3) returns the lowest value in that array. If at least two parameters are provided, min(3) returns the smallest of these values. Note Values of different types will be compared using the standard comparison rules. For instance, a non-numeric string will be com- pared to an integer as though it were 0, but multiple string values will be compared alphanumerically. The actual value returned will be of the original type with no conversion applied. PARAMETERS
o $values - An array containing the values. o $value1 - Any comparable value. o $value2 - Any comparable value. o $... - Any comparable value. RETURN VALUES
min(3) returns the parameter value considered "lowest" according to standard comparisons. If multiple values of different types evaluate as equal (e.g. 0 and 'abc') the first provided to the function will be returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example uses of min(3) <?php echo min(2, 3, 1, 6, 7); // 1 echo min(array(2, 4, 5)); // 2 // The string 'hello' when compared to an int is treated as 0 // Since the two values are equal, the order they are provided determines the result echo min(0, 'hello'); // 0 echo min('hello', 0); // hello // Here we are comparing -1 < 0, so -1 is the lowest value echo min('hello', -1); // -1 // With multiple arrays of different lengths, min returns the shortest $val = min(array(2, 2, 2), array(1, 1, 1, 1)); // array(2, 2, 2) // Multiple arrays of the same length are compared from left to right // so in our example: 2 == 2, but 4 < 5 $val = min(array(2, 4, 8), array(2, 5, 1)); // array(2, 4, 8) // If both an array and non-array are given, the array is never returned // as comparisons treat arrays as greater than any other value $val = min('string', array(2, 5, 7), 42); // string // If one argument is NULL or a boolean, it will be compared against // other values using the rule FALSE < TRUE regardless of the other types involved // In the below examples, both -10 and 10 are treated as TRUE in the comparison $val = min(-10, FALSE, 10); // FALSE $val = min(-10, NULL, 10); // NULL // 0, on the other hand, is treated as FALSE, so is "lower than" TRUE $val = min(0, TRUE); // 0 ?> SEE ALSO
max(3), count(3). PHP Documentation Group MIN(3)