Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Repeating groups problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Repeating groups problem Post 302254097 by sumirmehta on Monday 3rd of November 2008 03:50:15 PM
Old 11-03-2008
Hi,
I have a different idea using cut.

> echo $myString
This is the first line-CR-second line-CR-third line-CR-fourth line-CR-fifth line-CR-

> echo $myString | sed 's/-CR-/:/g' | cut -d':' -f1-
This is the first line:second line:third line:fourth line:fifth line:

or you could get individual parts using f1,f2 etc....
i replaced the -CR- with : as a delimiter, because cut somehow refuses to accepts -CR- as a delimiter...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Omit repeating lines

Can someone help me with the following 2 objectives? 1) The following command is just an example. It gets a list of all print jobs. From there I am trying to extract the printer name. It works with the following command: lpstat -W "completed" -o | awk -F- '{ print $1}' Problem is, I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating commands in a script

I have written a script that I want to be repeated. The script that I wrote outputs the date, how many people are on the system, how many people logged in before me, and how many people logged in after me. Than what I want it to do is after it outputs the 4 lines I want it to go back to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave2874
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value repeating problem in columns

Hi, I have a file like this 0817 0201364 1 866 . . . . . . . 574 . 100.0 100.0 5529737 1 TV 0817 0201364 2 1440 . . . . . . . . . . . 5529737 1 TV 0817 0201364 6 1323 . . . . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating awk command

Hi all, I have an awk command that needs to be ran multiple times in a script on one file containing lots of fields of data. The file look like this (the numbers are made up): 1234 2222 2223 2222 123 2223 3333 2323 3333 3321 3344 4444 The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nistleloy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Sed when repeating characters

Hi all, I'm learning sed (and regular expressions) - My first little program is to replace 3 numbers in a row with 'XXX' This is what I am trying: echo '511' | sed 's/{3}/XXX/' Here is the output: defunct-macbook-pro:~ defunct$ echo '511' | sed 's/{3}/XXX/' 511For some reason, it doesnt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Defunct
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating Substitution Command on VI

Hello Folks, how to write a command on vi that allow to repeat last substitution command? Here what I want to do : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 :.,+2s/\n/ /And I obtain : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating loop between dates

Hi , I need to execute set of commands between two parameterized dates. Suppose, If parameter1 is Feb1st-2010 and parameter2 is November15th-2010. I need to execute a set of commands within these dates . can any one help me to build a loop so that it should execute for 28days in February... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove groups of repeating lines

I know uniq exists, but am not sure how to remove repeating lines when they are groups of two different lines repeating themselves, without using sort. I need them to be sorted in the original order, just to remove repeats. cd /media/AUDIO/WAVE/9780743518673/mp3 ~/Desktop/mp3-to-m4b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

prtdiag -v problem :Memory Module Groups status not Showing

Hi Friends, I need a help from you all. In my machine which is on Solaris 9. the command prtdiag -v shows the complete output but it doesn't show "Memory Module Groups status" status. I have tried restarting the picl daemon, but still it doesn't work. Memory Module Groups:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
2 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

repeating test several times

echo "Enter Number of times u want this to be run" read RUN for i in {1..$RUN} do echo "i am going to market" done now the issue is that when i run this script it ask me "Enter Number of times u want this to be run" and then i put the value ,say i put 10, but when the script runs it gives... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bharat8007
1 Replies
yum-filter-data(1)														yum-filter-data(1)

NAME
yum filter data plugin SYNOPSIS
yum [options] [command] [package ...] DESCRIPTION
This plugin extends yum with some options, currently just for "update" and "list update" type commands, to allow filters to be placed on which packages should be used based on the data in those packages. Note that due to some of the data being unknown, and thus could possibly match, all unknown data is treated as a match. GENERAL OPTIONS
These are the options added to yum that are available in the "list updates", "info updates", "check-update" and "update" commands. They are: --filter-vendors This option includes packages which have a vendor which matches one of the passed vendor wildcard strings, or is unknown. Note that vendors can have spaces in their value, so "," is the only way to specify multiple vendors as one option argument. --filter-rpm-groups This option includes packages which have a group which matches one of the passed rpm group wildcard strings, or is unknown. Note that rpm groups can have spaces in their value, so "," is the only way to specify multiple rpm groups as one option argument. --filter-packagers This option includes packages which have a packager which matches one of the passed packager wildcard strings, or is unknown. Note that vendors can have spaces in their value, so "," is the only way to specify multiple packagers as one option argument. --filter-licenses This option includes packages which have a license which matches one of the passed license wildcard strings, or is unknown. Note that licenses can have spaces in their value, so "," is the only way to specify multiple licenses as one option argument. --filter-arches This option includes packages which have a arch which matches one of the passed arch wildcard strings, or is unknown. --filter-committers This option includes packages which have a committer which matches one of the passed committer wildcard strings, or is unknown. Note that committers can have spaces in their value, so "," is the only way to specify multiple committers as one option argument. Also, committer values are so loosely formed that they could contain commas too, it is recommended to not do that but you can work around it by using "?". --filter-buildhosts This option includes packages which have a buildhost which matches one of the passed buildhost wildcard strings, or is unknown. --filter-urls This option includes packages which have a url which matches one of the passed url wildcard strings, or is unknown. --filter-package-sizes This option includes packages which have a packagesize which is within one of the passed packagesize ranges, or is unknown. --filter-archive-sizes This option includes packages which have a archivesize which is within one of the passed archivesize ranges, or is unknown. --filter-installed-sizes This option includes packages which have a installedsize which is within one of the passed installedsize ranges, or is unknown. --filter-groups This option includes packages which are in a yum group which matches one of the passed yum group id strings, or is unknown. Note that yum groups can have spaces in their value, so "," is the only way to specify multiple yum groups as one option argument. EXAMPLES
To list all updates that are 1 MB or less use: yum --filter-package-sizes=-1m check-update To apply updates that Dan Walsh has committed use: yum --filter-committers='Dan Walsh *' update To list updates for a specific group use: yum --filter-rpm-groups='App*/Sys*' list updates To apply updates to a specific set of groups use: yum --filter-rpm-groups='App*/System,Devel*/Lib*,System Environment/Base' update To list updates for a set of yum groups use: yum --filter-groups='PostgreSQL Database,Web Server' list updates To apply updates to a specific set of yum groups use: yum --filter-groups='KDE,Core,Printing Support' update SEE ALSO
yum-list-data (1) yum (8) yum.conf (5) AUTHORS
James Antill <james.antill@redhat.com>. BUGS
Currently yum can't filter packages in all of the commands, so for instance "yum list 'yum*'" doesn't get the results filtered. Apart from that there are no bugs, but should you find any, you should first consult the FAQ section on http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/Faq and if unsuccessful in finding a resolution contact the mailing list: yum-devel@lists.baseurl.org. To file a bug use http://bugzilla.red- hat.com for Fedora/RHEL/Centos related bugs and http://yum.baseurl.org/report for all other bugs. James Antill 04 February 2008 yum-filter-data(1)