Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with awk printout
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with awk printout Post 302254093 by sumirmehta on Monday 3rd of November 2008 03:25:49 PM
Old 11-03-2008
I could suggest a solution using cut. If you change the file columns.txt to look something like "2,3", or if the format is fixed you could consider reformating "$2$3" to "2,3".

so then

> echo "columnsVar"

> cut -d' ' -f$columnsVar test.txt
tom jones

I hope this is what you're looking for...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

How to take printout of linux file from windows xp using putty?

Friends, I have installed Putty in my windows xp pc. I am connecting the RHEL AS 3 server using putty from my windows xp. My printer is connected to my windows xp. Now, i want to print text.txt of RHEL AS 3.0 in my windows xp printer through putty. For Example: my pc ip is 117.23.2.55... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyguy
3 Replies

2. SCO

How to remove date and page header from a printout

I have some HP4+ and HP5 printers printing from Unixware 7.1.4. The problem is that they print a page header with the date and page number. I can't seem to figure out how to stop this. These headers through the pagination off. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sladeburke
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus: could it be dirrected do not printout anything, beside results?

I try to prepare a sufficient function to execute a sql-statement, getting back ONLY retrieved results! What I can't figured out how to make the sqlplus not printing the 'Connected to ...', 'Disconnected from...' and the executed statements after 'SQL> '. I am under impression that having... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

5. Debian

hardware printout layout terminology

trying to find online or a book. the words to use to find 'a' or 'the ways and means' to format left margin, right margin etc from man pages to Hardware Printer. while looking to print man pages with a Hardware Printer. I have found lp. and did a man sudoers | lp -p2 to test. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cowLips
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to compare a file with set of files in a directory using 'awk'

Hi, I have a situation to compare one file, say file1.txt with a set of files in directory.The directory contains more than 100 files. To be more precise, the requirement is to compare the first field of file1.txt with the first field in all the files in the directory.The files in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandek
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk --> selective printout with FNR

Hi everybody! need some awk-support. i want a line-selective printout of a file. wat i normally will do with ... awk ' FNR==8' sample.txt But now i need the data from line 8, 10 and the following data from line13 to 250 wich is not end of the file. I tried allready to combine it but without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)