Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Network Solution
Special Forums IP Networking Network Solution Post 302254069 by disturbe_d on Monday 3rd of November 2008 02:02:43 PM
Old 11-03-2008
Network Solution

Hello Guys:

This is more of a personal problem. I work for a University and the Univ has given me an ip address range 135.123.39.2 - 135.123.39.254 for my lab. Every time I bring a computer for the lab, I have to ask the university to add the dns name to the dns server. Recently we have split up within the lab and we are having trouble coexisting. So we want to separate. Now the whole setup is like this

rouetr -> firewall -> switch -> workstations/servers

There is only one port coming out of the the router and going to the my linux firewall (bridge mode) and then to the switch where i distribute all the IP tot he rest of my machine. Now I am trying to understand the University setup. This is a Class B address (135.123.39). But if I wanted to separate within or ask the univ to separate,

1) How they would do it and

2) How can I do it ?

I want to know all my options. I would be glad to provide you with more info if needed

Thanks Smilie

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Network Storage Solution.

Hi All... I have never really touched any form of unix so any help would be appraciated. I am looking at creating/building another PC to add to my network for storage purposes only. Would unix be the best OS to use in this situation as all I have available to me is a very low end PC. As... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Merlyn
10 Replies

2. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Best solution for a network share?

This is in a CentOS 6 environment, our developer needs to be able to specify a relative path to a shared folder so that four machines can all point to the same shared directory, so I need to know the easiest way to do this in a native Linux environment. I've already created the directory on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xdawg
2 Replies
IPCHECK(8)						  System Administration Utilities						IPCHECK(8)

NAME
ipcheck - dyndns.org client DESCRIPTION
Usage : ipcheck.py [options] Username Password Hostnames or ipcheck.py [options] --acctfile acct_info_file Options: -a address manually specify the address -r URL NAT router, use web IP detection -A text scan syslog for an IP after text (Unix only) -F filename guess the WAN IP from a firewall log -b backup mx option ON (default OFF) -c custom dns option (default dynamic) -d dir directory for data files (default current) -e script execute script after a successful update -f force update regardless of current state -g NAT router, let dyndns guess your IP (do not use this in a cronjob, try -r) -h print this help text --help print all available help text -i interface interface for local address (default ppp0) -j disable https -l log debugging text to ipcheck.log file --syslog log debugging text to syslog (Unix only) -m mxhost mx host (default NOCHG) -o set dyndns offline mode -p proxy bypass on port 8245 -q quiet mode (unless there is an error) -s static dns option (default dynamic) -t test run, do not send the update -v verbose mode -w wildcard mode ON (default OFF) --makedat create the ipcheck.dat file by dns lookup --devices print router options (Linksys, Netgear, etc) -n ip the router IP address on the internal lan For help with different options: python ipcheck.py -h For supported devices listing : python ipcheck.py --devices For long detailed help text : python ipcheck.py --help Make sure you can write to the current directory for data files and that you always run from the same directory. The first time you run the script, you will be asked to run with the --makedat option in addition to any other options. This will create the data files for the hostnames and options your specify on the command line. You should only do this once. Subsequent runs should be made without the --make- dat option. For help with different options: python ipcheck.py -h For supported devices listing : python ipcheck.py --devices For long detailed help text : python ipcheck.py --help Example 1: the external IP is on eth0 of the current machine python ipcheck.py -l -i eth0 username password hostnames Example 2: you are using the Linksys routing device python ipcheck.py -l -L linksyspassword username password hostnames Example 3: you want to use web based ip detection python ipcheck.py -l -r checkip.dyndns.org:8245 ... where ... is your dyndns username password and hostnames. Hostnames should be comma delimited if there are more than one. Debian GNU/Linux January 2012 IPCHECK(8)