Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Word Count for a range of text Post 302253322 by Tytalus on Friday 31st of October 2008 10:39:58 AM
Old 10-31-2008
something like:

Code:
 awk '/Oct 30.*Created/{c++}END{print c}' file1

or more simply

Code:
grep -c "Oct 30.*Created" file1

should suffice

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count word

hi, given a file i need to get the first line and secodn line and count each of the line whether the length of first line and second line is the same i don;t know how to get the length of the line...seems like use 'wc' cannot do it... please advice (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ariuscy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Word Count

Hi All, Please let me know how to get the count of a particular word in a file. Example. I am looking for count of word 'result' in a file abc.xml. Thanks, Shankar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_chowhan
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Word count

Script that lists all words used in one or more files and displays their count (pattern /\W+/ to split the lines of the input file into words can b used).. It should display list in format word:count...gets Filename as an cmd line argument! eg: $perl test doc (where doc is d file we are going to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Separate text files in a folder by word count

Hi, been searching Google for like an hour and I doubt I got the right keywords so might as well ask here. What I need: Before: Article1.txt 564 Article2.txt 799 Article3.txt 349 Article4.txt 452 * Separate files over 400 wordcount * After: Article1.txt 564... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard2000
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count how many numbers in a certain range?

Hi I have a data file with two columns which looks like: 1 42 2 40 3 55 4 50 5 38 6 49 7 33 8 46 9 39 10 33 11 33 12 26 13 46 14 44 15 55 16 54 17 30 18 32 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marhuu
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences of a numeric string falling in a range

Dear all, I have numerous dat files (1.dat, 2.dat...) containing 500 numeric values each. I would like to count them, based on their range and obtain a histogram or a counter. INPUT: 1.dat 1.3 2.16 0.34 ...... 2.dat 1.54 0.94 3.13 ..... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chen.xiao.po
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get user id count for a range

I have a file which has users having different values against them in second column. I want to set a range and get the count of users in that range. Suppose :- a 4 b 19 c 27 d 87 e 123 And I define the range like 1-20 , 20 -50 and so on..... Please assume the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev Yadav
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)