Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: newline character
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers newline character Post 302253317 by jim mcnamara on Friday 31st of October 2008 10:34:54 AM
Old 10-31-2008
trichyselva -
Post the output of these commands:
Code:
echo $SHELL
which echo
uname -a

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I replace newline character?

Hi, I am trying to write a script to prepare some text for use as web content. What is happening is that all the newlines in the textfile are ignored, so I want to be able to replace/add a few characters so that for a file containg: This is line 1. This is line two. This is line four.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghoti
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newline character not working for ksh

Newline character "\n" not working for ksh in linux AS 3.0 Command : $echo "Hi\nHi" $Hi\nHi $ Expected output : $echo "Hi\nHi" Hi Hi $ Can some help me on this Thanks in advance Sanish. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanikv
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate the string with the newline character

Hi , i want to Concatenate a string and use the following code str="i" str="$str am \n" str="$str a \n" str="$str boy \n" echo $str I want to ouput this i am a boy However it outputs i am \n a \n boy \n (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: youareapkman
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo without newline character

hi, I have a for loop where in I write some file name to another file. I want to write all the filenames to another without any newlines. how can i avoid getting new lines with echo? Thanks, Srilaxmi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why SED can't see the last newline character?

Removed. My question does not make sense. and SED does see the last newline character. But I still have a question: How to remove the last newline character(the newline character at the end of last line) using SED? ---------- Post updated 05-01-11 at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous update was... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newline character in a variable

variable="unix\nlinux" echo $variable expected output: unix linux :wall: can i do that ?? thanks in advance!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathish92
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character between two delimiters

hi i am having delimited .dat file having content like below. test.dat(5 line of records) ====== PT2~Stag~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~~UNCEF R20~~2012-05-24 ~2014-05-24~~ PT2~Stag y~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~METR~~~2012-05-24~2014-05-24~~test PT2~Pt2 Stag Test~~PT2 S... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing by newline character

I have a file (pema)with a single long record which i have to break up into multiple lines Input s1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas1bbbbbbbbbbs1cccccccccc Output s1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa s1bbbbbbbbbb s1cccccccccc m planning to do it by replacing s1 by \ns1 \n is the new line character i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pema.yozer
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)