Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete a single space in a line Post 302253217 by Satyak on Friday 31st of October 2008 07:54:07 AM
Old 10-31-2008
Java delete a single space in a line

hi i have a line like
TL1330000000800 000DE9248737900 08000TS0231DE92 87379AMEX0000.T N 0080000000 00000.

if there any single space between strings, i need to delete, if more than one keep the space as it is
can some one help

thanks
Satya

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete blank space in begining of line

Hi All, below is my data file file.txt $$0 ServerA LAN1 AAA IT01 04/30/2008 09:16:26 $$0 ServerB LAN1 AAA IT02 04/30/2008 09:16:26 here $ is a blank space how to delete first 2 blank spaces in a file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace space or spaces in a line of a file with a single :

I am searching while I await a response to this so if it has been asked already I apologize. I have a file with lines in it that look like: bob johnson email@email.org I need it to look like: bob:johnson:email@email.org I am trying to use sed like this: sed -e 's/ /:/g' file >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single line command to delete a 6 months old file

i had this scenario where i need to delete a file that is 6 months old which is no longer needed. basically the filename is in the format of PCARDDAILYmmddyyyy.txt where the mm is the month, dd is the day, and yyyy is the year. e.g. PCARDDAILY05262009.txt PCARDDAILY05252009.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping out more than a space from a line, but keep single space.

Hi all, Is there a way to perform the above, I am trying to strip out more than one space from a line, but keep the single space. See below output example. My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 Please note that the lines would contain... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the truncating of multiple spaces into a single space while reading a line from a file?

consider the small piece of code while read line do echo $line done < example content of example file sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the output is like sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete the line if the first letter is a single digit

Hi, I'm trying to acheive the following, I have a dat file in which i have several addresses, If the address starts with a single digit then i have to delete the line, if it starts with 2 or more digits then i have to keep the line Here is a sample of my file: 377 CARRER DE LA... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete entire line starting with space

Folks, How do i delete an entire line that starts with blank space? Ex: I have a file like below. abc def (10/12) ghi _________ jkl _________ mno pqr stu (11/12) vwx I need the ouput like abc def (10/12) ghi pqr stu (11/12) vwx Thanks for your elp in advance !!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting email output in single line with out space in email

I have tried below email method and i am getting every thing in single line . i have put echo to provide space, but it is not helping my code ( echo "From: $FROM" echo "To: $MAILTO" echo "CC: $CC" echo "Subject: $SUBJECT" echo "MIME-Version: 1.0" echo 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
6 Replies
SDIFF(1)							     GNU Tools								  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff - find differences between two files and merge interactively SYNOPSIS
sdiff -o outfile [options] from-file to-file DESCRIPTION
The sdiff command merges two files and interactively outputs the results to outfile. If from-file is a directory and to-file is not, sdiff compares the file in from-file whose file name is that of to-file, and vice versa. from-file and to-file may not both be directories. sdiff options begin with -, so normally from-file and to-file may not begin with -. However, -- as an argument by itself treats the remaining arguments as file names even if they begin with -. You may not use - as an input file. sdiff without -o (or --output) produces a side-by-side difference. This usage is obsolete; use diff --side-by-side instead. Options Below is a summary of all of the options that GNU sdiff accepts. Each option has two equivalent names, one of which is a single letter preceded by -, and the other of which is a long name preceded by --. Multiple single letter options (unless they take an argument) can be combined into a single command line argument. Long named options can be abbreviated to any unique prefix of their name. -a Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -b Ignore changes in amount of white space. -B Ignore changes that just insert or delete blank lines. -d Change the algorithm to perhaps find a smaller set of changes. This makes sdiff slower (sometimes much slower). -H Use heuristics to speed handling of large files that have numerous scattered small changes. --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in the output, to preserve the alignment of tabs in the input files. -i Ignore changes in case; consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. -I regexp Ignore changes that just insert or delete lines that match regexp. --ignore-all-space Ignore white space when comparing lines. --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes that just insert or delete blank lines. --ignore-case Ignore changes in case; consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. --ignore-matching-lines=regexp Ignore changes that just insert or delete lines that match regexp. --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in amount of white space. -l --left-column Print only the left column of two common lines. --minimal Change the algorithm to perhaps find a smaller set of changes. This makes sdiff slower (sometimes much slower). -o file --output=file Put merged output into file. This option is required for merging. -s --suppress-common-lines Do not print common lines. --speed-large-files Use heuristics to speed handling of large files that have numerous scattered small changes. -t Expand tabs to spaces in the output, to preserve the alignment of tabs in the input files. --text Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -v --version Output the version number of sdiff. -w columns --width=columns Use an output width of columns. Note that for historical reasons, this option is -W in diff, -w in sdiff. -W Ignore horizontal white space when comparing lines. Note that for historical reasons, this option is -w in diff, -W in sdiff. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), diff3(1). DIAGNOSTICS
An exit status of 0 means no differences were found, 1 means some differences were found, and 2 means trouble. GNU Tools 22sep1993 SDIFF(1)