Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: form a line with strings
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting form a line with strings Post 302253171 by wempy on Friday 31st of October 2008 06:03:36 AM
Old 10-31-2008
this may do what you require, depends if there is a space after the N or not, I cannot tell as you didn't use code tags around your data.
Code:
{
# is this a blank line
    /^$/!{
# not a blank line
# append it to the hold space
        H
# remove it from the pattern space
            d
    }
    /^$/{
# this is a blank line
# swap it with the hold space
        x
# delete the newline chars in the pattern space
            s/\n//g
# print the pattern space
            p
    }
# is this still a blank line
# delete it if so
    /^$/d
}

save that into a file (callled script.sed below, call it what you like) and call it thus:
Code:
sed -f script.sed data.file >output.file

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Unix form to Microsoft Word form to be able to email it to someone.

Please someone I need information on how to change a Unix form/document into a microsoft word document in order to be emailed to another company. Please help ASAP. Thankyou :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheraunm
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get line form file by line number

I want to get a specific line form file by line number. For example I have file named bla File looks like this cat bla Madrid Paris Berlin Vladivostok I want to put line 3 (Berlin) into variable X. How to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: corny
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read one character form each line of the file?

Hi, Maybe this iscorrect forum for my question... I should read one character at a fixed position from each line of the file. So how ??? should be substituted in the code below: while read line ; do single_char=`???` echo "$single_char" done < $input_file OK...I did get an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsii
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to form Records[multiple line] between two known patterns

file contents looks like this : #START line1 of record1 line2 of record1 #END #START line1 of record2 line2 of record2 line3 of record2 #END #START line1 of record3 #END my question how should i make it a records between #START and #END . willl i be able to get the contents of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathish92
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the # char form a line?

Hi, my file has below details and I want remove the # char from only specific line. #TEST:00:START #TEST1:01:INPROCESS #TEST2:02:ABOUTTO #TEST3:03:COMP i.e if want remove the # from 2nd line then file to be updated as #TEST:00:START TEST1:01:INPROCESS #TEST2:02:ABOUTTO... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandyrajh
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two strings receiving form two different loops and execute if condition when single match

I want to read a file contain sub-string and same string need to match in file name I got from for loop. I am using below code: #!/bin/bash C_UPLOADEDSUFFIX='.uploaded' files=$(find . -iname '*'$C_UPLOADEDSUFFIX -type f) # find files having .uploaded prefix for file in $files do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to submit form on an php webpage from command line?

Hello, i have page domain.com/form.php the form fields on form.php are named: name=ipaddress name=port and submit button is named: submit i want to ask how the linux command will look like to submit the form filled with: ipaddress: 127.0.0.1 port: 80 I tried various curl and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies
OSASCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      OSASCRIPT(1)

NAME
osascript -- execute AppleScripts and other OSA language scripts SYNOPSIS
osascript [-l language] [-s flags] [-e statement | programfile] [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
osascript executes the given script. It was designed for use with AppleScript, but will work with any Open Scripting Architecture (OSA) lan- guage. To get a list of the OSA languages installed on your system, use osalang(1). For documentation on AppleScript itself, see <http://www.apple.com/applescript>. osascript will look for the script in one of the following three places: 1. Specified line by line using -e switches on the command line. 2. Contained in the file specified by the first filename on the command line. This file may be plain text or a compiled script. 3. Passed in using standard input. This works only if there are no filename arguments; to pass arguments to a STDIN-read script, you must explicitly specify ``-'' for the script name. Any arguments following the script will be passed as a list of strings to the direct parameter of the ``run'' handler. For example: a.scpt: on run argv return "hello, " & item 1 of argv & "." end run % osascript a.scpt world hello, world. The options are as follows: -e statement Enter one line of a script. If -e is given, osascript will not look for a filename in the argument list. Multiple -e options may be given to build up a multi-line script. Because most scripts use characters that are special to many shell programs (e.g., AppleScript uses single and double quote marks, ``('', ``)'', and ``*''), the statement will have to be correctly quoted and escaped to get it past the shell intact. -l language Override the language for any plain text files. Normally, plain text files are compiled as AppleScript. -s flags Modify the output style. The flags argument is a string consisting of any of the modifier characters e, h, o, and s. Multiple modi- fiers can be concatenated in the same string, and multiple -s options can be specified. The modifiers come in exclusive pairs; if con- flicting modifiers are specified, the last one takes precedence. The meanings of the modifier characters are as follows: h Print values in human-readable form (default). s Print values in recompilable source form. osascript normally prints its results in human-readable form: strings do not have quotes around them, characters are not escaped, braces for lists and records are omitted, etc. This is generally more useful, but can introduce ambiguities. For example, the lists '{"foo", "bar"}' and '{{"foo", {"bar"}}}' would both be displayed as 'foo, bar'. To see the results in an unambiguous form that could be recompiled into the same value, use the s modifier. e Print script errors to stderr (default). o Print script errors to stdout. osascript normally prints script errors to stderr, so downstream clients only see valid results. When running automated tests, how- ever, using the o modifier lets you distinguish script errors, which you care about matching, from other diagnostic output, which you don't. SEE ALSO
osacompile(1), osalang(1) HISTORY
osascript in Mac OS X 10.0 would translate ' ' characters in the output to ' ' and provided c and r modifiers for the -s option to change this. osascript now always leaves the output alone; pipe through tr(1) if necessary. Prior to Mac OS X 10.4, osascript did not allow passing arguments to the script. Mac OS X June 10, 2003 Mac OS X