Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: smf repository not running
Operating Systems Solaris smf repository not running Post 302253162 by jegaraman on Friday 31st of October 2008 05:35:34 AM
Old 10-31-2008
Hi incredible,

after installation it automatically got rebooted in sinfgle user mode.

and is there any way to make it up , bcos now the server is down and i could not do init 6 also.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Standalone FTPD within SMF

Hello We are trying to run the WU_FTPD demon in standalone mode (-S argument) via an SMF service. Prior to SMF, this was achieved by simply commenting out the FTP line within the inetd.conf file. However, within SMF, I believe we need to carry out the following activities: i) Remove the FTP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CowsUdders
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Smf managed service not starting

Hi Experts, While playing with smf in my local system ( which is not in production ) i am unable to restart the service svc:/network/nfs/server:default . I tried starting it in different way, however unable to restart the same. I was checking the dependency for that I disabled the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
11 Replies

3. Solaris

SMF/Manifest in Zones

Hi.. I have an application installed in Zones and I would like to have the application started on every system reboot and stop at every shutdown. I created start/stop/restart script in /etc/init.d and placed S and K links in rc?d directories. This works fine. but I want to use SMF for this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
0 Replies

4. Solaris

SMF service HELP

I would like to run command whenever system boot up, i.e "/opt/admin/script/closegen -c /opt/share/script/colsehg" How do I integrate above command in to SMF services. -sam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam786
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Chkconfig & SMF

Hi I have been told to migrate linux init scripts to solaris 10. i am reading about the chkconfig & SMF ( I came to know that SMF is used in Sol 10 for service management ). The only thing i could not find out ( Because i dont have root access ) is how the links are created in rcX.d directory? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
6 Replies

6. Solaris

SMF in Solaris 10

In SOlaris 9 for eg, inside the /etc/init.d/inetsvc file, you can set the tcp tracing by going to the last line and adding the following as :- inetd -s -t & In Solaris 10, I know we can use the svccfg to do it or with the inetadm command. When I use inetadm -m command to set the tcp tracing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Can solaris 10 SMF use remote dependencies

I have a customer who wants us to set up their applications to start using the solaris 10 SMF. One of their applications requires that 3 database instances are up and running, but those instances are on 3 separate servers. I can't think of any way that this can be done from what I have read on my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkruck
1 Replies

8. Solaris

SMF: How to start inetd and all its dependents?

Hi, Here is the questions: inetd on this Solaris 10 zone fails to start at boot time. Inetd has 4 dependents not started. These 4 dependents have their own dependents not started. How it happened? How can I use one or a few command to start inetd and all its dependents and dependents' dependents?... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
11 Replies

9. Red Hat

Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: InstallMedia.

Most of my commands are returning this error on RHEL 6 64 bit: Also I tried installing many sofwtares, but it fails to correctly work. For example I treid installing dos2unix: # rpm -ivh dos2unix-5.3.3-5.ram0.98.src.rpm 1:dos2unix warning: user mockbuild does not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: India_2014
0 Replies
smf_security(5) 					Standards, Environments, and Macros					   smf_security(5)

NAME
smf_security - service management facility security behavior DESCRIPTION
The configuration subsystem for the service management facility, smf(5), requires privilege to modify the configuration of a service. Priv- ileges are granted to a user by associating the authorizations described below to the user through user_attr(4) and prof_attr(4). See rbac(5). The following authorization is used to manipulate services and service instances. solaris.smf.modify Authorized to add, delete, or modify services, service instances, or their properties. Property Group Authorizations The smf(5) configuration subsystem associates properties with each service and service instance. Related properties are grouped. Groups may represent an execution method, credential information, application data, or restarter state. The ability to create or modify property groups can cause smf(5) components to perform actions that may require operating system privilege. Accordingly, the framework requires appropriate authorization to manipulate property groups. Each property group has a type corresponding to its purpose. The core property group types are method, dependency, application, and frame- work. Additional property group types can be introduced, provided they conform to the extended naming convention in smf(5). The following basic authorizations, however, apply only to the core property group types: solaris.smf.modify.method Authorized to change values or create, delete, or modify a property group of type method. solaris.smf.modify.dependency Authorized to change values or create, delete, or modify a property group of type dependency. solaris.smf.modify.application Authorized to change values or create, delete, or modify a property group of type application. solaris.smf.modify.framework Authorized to change values or create, delete, or modify a property group of type framework. solaris.smf.modify Authorized to add, delete, or modify services, service instances, or their properties. Property group-specific authorization can be specified by properties contained in the property group. modify_authorization Authorizations allow the addition, deletion, or modification of properties within the property group. value_authorization Authorizations allow changing the values of any property of the property group except modify_authorization. The above authorization properties are only used if they have type astring. If an instance property group does not have one of the proper- ties, but the instance's service has a property group of the same name with the property, its values are used. Service Action Authorization Certain actions on service instances may result in service interruption or deactivation. These actions require an authorization to ensure that any denial of service is a deliberate administrative action. Such actions include a request for execution of the refresh or restart methods, or placement of a service instance in the maintenance or other non-operational state. The following authorization allows such actions to be requested: solaris.smf.manage Authorized to request restart, refresh, or other state modification of any service instance. In addition, the general/action_authorization property can specify additional authorizations that permit service actions to be requested for that service instance. The solaris.smf.manage authorization is required to modify this property. Defined Rights Profiles Two rights profiles are included that offer grouped authorizations for manipulating typical smf(5) operations. Service Management A service manager can manipulate any service in the repository in any way. It corresponds to the solaris.smf.manage and solaris.smf.modify authorizations. The service management profile is the minimum required to use the pkgadd(1M) or pkgrm(1M) commands to add or remove software packages that contain an inventory of services in its service manifest. Service Operator A service operator has the ability to enable or disable any service instance on the system, as well as request that its restart or refresh method be executed. It corresponds to the solaris.smf.manage and solaris.smf.modify.framework authorizations. Sites can define additional rights profiles customized to their needs. Remote Repository Modification Remote repository servers may deny modification attempts due to additional privilege checks. See NOTES. SEE ALSO
auths(1), profiles(1), pkgadd(1M), pkgrm(1M), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), rbac(5), smf(5) NOTES
The present version of smf(5) does not support remote repositories. SunOS 5.10 2 Dec 04 smf_security(5)