Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Question on background running job Post 302252837 by anandsbr on Thursday 30th of October 2008 11:32:34 AM
Old 10-30-2008
Question on background running job

Guys,

We use AIX 5.3 at our work place. I only in my team have a strange problem of not able run jobs background. Other colleagues are able to run without any problem.

Once I kick off background job using nohup and & command, It immediately stops. The following error I get when I run.

<<homedir>>run>nohup ksh -x data_compare.ksh &
[1] 133116
<<homedir>>run>>Sending nohup output to nohup.out.

[1] + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ksh -x data_compare.ksh &

It could be simple for you guys.

Appreciate your help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

I try to run a script as background job. script: #!/usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/date +20%y-%m-%d > ~/datsql.txt If I start it I got this output: tac> ./datermitteln& 293 + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ./datermitteln& I insert the following line inside my script, but without any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background job

Hiya, Recently I've run a few scripts in the foreground, but have realised later they should of been better nohup'd and placed in the background. I understand how to change a foreground job into a background one, but how would put the job into the nohup state? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdbooth
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

on gnome i open a terminal and run wget http://soommmething & in the background. because wget shows me downloading progress percentage and download speed continuously, I exit the gnome-terminal after a while i want to see the download percentage but dont know how. my ps -u myname shows that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babayeve
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get background job to foreground

hi, i am just wondering that wen we give the following code we make a process run in background...can the viceversa be performed?i.e can this be made foreground again # sleep 75& 21751 # (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandilya
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot submit a background job

Hi all, I am currently facing a problem when i am submitting a script to run in the background to collect statistics round the clock on an AIX box. I don't have root authority nor can I set it in cron. So when i submit the job, it runs fine, but won't let me signoff. It prompts me that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

suspend a *background* running job

Is there a way to suspend (TSTP?) a job that is running in the background, _without_ first bringing it to the foreground and inputting Ctrl-Z from the keyboard? IOW, something similar to issuing the shell's bg builtin command on a job ID to resume a job that is suspended in the background,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Job

Hello Everyody, Having a doubt. sort file1 & when we sent a job to the background it returns Job Number PID again if we want to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knroy10
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Is user cron job running in background?

Hi, Should the user jobs specified in crontab be running in background? Cron daemon is already running in background. So I am not sure whether should the jobs (output and error messages are redirected to file) ran by it be explicitly stated to be run in background (& at end of command) if one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe_x
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get status of dd running in background job

Hello everyone While working on TUI for scripts, there there came the idea to' add a command' for dd too. That was, after 'wrapping' tar and wget either, to display their growing size and return the exit code with a textual-visual-feedback to the user. Now displaying the filesize of a... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
13 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)