Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Apache brute force attack
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Apache brute force attack Post 302252836 by nitin on Thursday 30th of October 2008 11:26:02 AM
Old 10-30-2008
Apache brute force attack

Hi,
I'm trying find out if there is a way to stop a brute force attack on a Webmail site. I'm trying to setup a webmail access, but I would like to prevent too many invalid logins from the same IP.
I've looked into Snort, but I was wondering if there was an application level firewall that can blacklist an IP for few minutes.
Iptables can prevent ssh attack:
Code:
/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name SSH
/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 8 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP

Can something similar be done for http? Probably not? Smilie

TIA,
Nitin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bruteforce attack on my pc

since putting my pc online, it keeps getting slower and i dig the logfile to have such a surprise: this is just one of a many and I beleived it's a bruteforce attack how do i block this IP 200.41.81.228 from trying to knock my online pc? my system: FreeBSD testing.net 6.2-STABLE-JE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdns
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Double question: Apache mod_proxy and force connection over specific interface

Double question here ... Running on Debian Etch and Apache 2.0 1) Using mod_proxy and/or mod_proxy_http in apache 2.0. The basics of using mod_proxy are pretty simple so long as you're using a static config. I'm trying to figure out how to do it dynamically - that is, allow the entry of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Halfwalker
4 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Replay Attack

REPLAY ATTACK. Can some one elobrate on measures to encounter this problem of replay atack on network. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashvin Gaur
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Brute force SMTP attack right now *help*

Im currently experiancing a brute force attack on my server Nov 26 15:27:04 ws096 saslauthd: do_auth : auth failure: Nov 26 15:27:13 ws096 saslauthd: do_auth : auth failure: Nov 26 15:27:22 ws096 saslauthd: do_auth : auth failure: Nov 26 15:27:29 ws096... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcraul
4 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

What I think is a DoS attack

About 3 days ago our Apache logs started filling with the following errors: mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (server <weberver>:443, client 41.235.234.172) (OpenSSL library error follows) OpenSSL: error:1408A0B7:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no ciphers specified These initially were... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Found attack from

Hi, I have a belkin router installed and a look at the security log has got me worried a little bit. Security log: Fri Jan 29 20:41:46 2010 =>Found attack from 68.147.232.199. Source port is 58591 and destination port is 12426 which use the TCP protocol. Fri Jan 29 20:41:46 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jld
1 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Network attack - so what?

In my logs I find entries about attacks on my system. I know IP addresses, I know date and time and I know what they tried to do. So what's the best I can do now? Tell everybody that there are cybercriminals on that network? Write an email to their admin? Anything else? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
10 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

DDoS and brute force attack

How to protect DDoS and brute force attack. I want to secure my server and block attacker. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: romanepo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script that simulates a SSH brute force attack

I want to test the effectiveness of sshguard on some of my systems so I'm trying to write a script that simulates a brute force attack by sending a bunch of different username and password combinations to the servers being tested. So far I have this: #!/usr/local/bin/expect set timeout 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph0enix
5 Replies
IPTABLES-XML(1) 						  iptables 1.4.21						   IPTABLES-XML(1)

NAME
iptables-xml -- Convert iptables-save format to XML SYNOPSIS
iptables-xml [-c] [-v] DESCRIPTION
iptables-xml is used to convert the output of iptables-save into an easily manipulatable XML format to STDOUT. Use I/O-redirection pro- vided by your shell to write to a file. -c, --combine combine consecutive rules with the same matches but different targets. iptables does not currently support more than one target per match, so this simulates that by collecting the targets from consecutive iptables rules into one action tag, but only when the rule matches are identical. Terminating actions like RETURN, DROP, ACCEPT and QUEUE are not combined with subsequent targets. -v, --verbose Output xml comments containing the iptables line from which the XML is derived iptables-xml does a mechanistic conversion to a very expressive xml format; the only semantic considerations are for -g and -j targets in order to discriminate between <call> <goto> and <nane-of-target> as it helps xml processing scripts if they can tell the difference between a target like SNAT and another chain. Some sample output is: <iptables-rules> <table name="mangle"> <chain name="PREROUTING" policy="ACCEPT" packet-count="63436" byte-count="7137573"> <rule> <conditions> <match> <p>tcp</p> </match> <tcp> <sport>8443</sport> </tcp> </conditions> <actions> <call> <check_ip/> </call> <ACCEPT/> </actions> </rule> </chain> </table> </iptables-rules> Conversion from XML to iptables-save format may be done using the iptables.xslt script and xsltproc, or a custom program using libxsltproc or similar; in this fashion: xsltproc iptables.xslt my-iptables.xml | iptables-restore BUGS
None known as of iptables-1.3.7 release AUTHOR
Sam Liddicott <azez@ufomechanic.net> SEE ALSO
iptables-save(8), iptables-restore(8), iptables(8) iptables 1.4.21 IPTABLES-XML(1)