Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: boot up detection for linux
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users boot up detection for linux Post 302252779 by benefactr on Thursday 30th of October 2008 09:53:07 AM
Old 10-30-2008
boot up detection for linux

Hello,
I was wondering is there a specific process I could look for to tell if my suse linux machine is still booting up. I have a monitor process and it's detecting problems with processes because I think the machine is still booting up and has yet to start everything up. Thanks for any help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XP/Linux dual boot

Does anyone have any idea how I can manage an XP/Linux dual boot (I want to use debian), I can't find anything about it on the internet! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XDC_Wolf
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt

my redhat 9 will not boot. We had a power failure and when the power came back, my redhat linux will not boot. The machine come up to grub prompt. I tried the following from grub prompt root (hd0, then press tab key partition num:0 filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
7 Replies

3. Linux

boot cd linux HOWTO?

i have linux bootable cd. I want similar bootalbe cd with some chnage in the disk. i.e, some file from the old cd has to replaced in newer one. how do i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
3 Replies

4. Linux

linux 2.4 boot up sequence

I am running linux red hat and I need to know the command to view the boot up process.... (that is the driver initialization, drive mount, etc).... Does anyone know this command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Franco
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux won't boot

I'm trying to install Fedora 9 on a Dell OptiPlex GX300 machine. The instalation runs properly, but when the computer restarts after the instalation, it simply won't boot, like there's no OS installed. I tried diffrent Linux distributions, but nothing works. This are the partitions, maybe it's... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: teis
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need bash script Intrusion Detection on Linux

Hello all I have a script but I failed on the creation of Script is any is carried out in the shell sends the owner of the server, the message is has been implemented For example, functioned as a detection system intruders but in smaller Is it possible to help if you allow I want the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-zer0
4 Replies

7. Programming

Parallel Processing Detection and Program Return Value Detection

Hey, for the purpose of a research project I need to know if a specific type of parallel processing is being utilized by any user-run programs. Is there a way to detect whether a program either returns a value to another program at the end of execution, or just utilizes any form of parallel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azar.zorn
4 Replies

8. News, Links, Events and Announcements

MS to block linux boot

Microsoft to stop Linux, older Windows, from running on Windows 8 PCs | ZDNet isn't that deserve an anti trust investigation? MS monopoly is transfer into the hardware. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Linux Boot Process

Explain Linux Boot Process??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejaschache
1 Replies
KLOADER(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						KLOADER(4)

NAME
kloader -- in-kernel bootloader SYNOPSIS
options KLOADER options KLOADER_KERNEL_PATH=""/netbsd"" DESCRIPTION
The kloader is the in-kernel bootloader for platforms that do not have a proper firmware. Some platforms supported by NetBSD do not have a firmware that can boot the NetBSD kernel. Examples are game consoles (dreamcast port), and handhelds (hpcarm, hpcmips, and hpcsh ports). On such platforms the bootloader is usually a host program that runs under the native OS. This means that rebooting NetBSD is a lengthy process of booting into the native OS first, launching the bootloader program, and finally booting NetBSD again. This problem is addressed by kloader, which allows the currently running kernel to serve as a bootloader for the ker- nel being booted, thus avoiding the burden of booting into the native OS first. When kloader is configured into the kernel, a call to reboot(2) causes the kloader to load the new kernel into memory, and arrange for con- trol to be passed to the new kernel -- just like a standalone bootloader does. The new kernel then boots in the ordinary manner. SEE ALSO
reboot(2), boot(8), reboot(8) HISTORY
kloader first appeared in NetBSD 1.6. BUGS
kloader ignores howto and bootstr arguments passed to the reboot(2) system call, and reboots the system with the previous boot settings. kloader doesn't support booting compressed kernels. The hpcarm port doesn't support kloader yet. BSD
April 3, 2004 BSD